OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:49:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kneeling during the liturgy  (Read 1029 times) Average Rating: 0
surajiype

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« on: April 18, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »

In any of the OO jurisdictions, is there a practice of the congregation kneeling during the Eucharistic liturgy.

In India, except on the feast of Pentecost when the entire congregations prostrates there is no kneeling on Sunday.  Also I don't think there is kneeling and penitential prostrations during Grand Vespers or the little hours on Sunday before the Divine liturgy begins.

I have heard Canon 20 of Nicea quoted as the basis for prohibition of kneeling on Sunday.  What is the current practice in the rest of the Communion.

Also can anyone from the Indian Church confirm why the priest (and him alone) kneels while commemorating (this is after the creed).

Suraj
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »

In the Armenian Church I don't think we are supposed to kneel on Sundays, but it is nevertheless a common practice.

Tags: proper behavior kneeling Indian Orthodox Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: