OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 12:33:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well this was a parental first  (Read 1822 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: April 18, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »

My 6 year old was avoiding me and trying to get the attention of her dad. "Dad! Quick, come over here I want to whisper something in your ear." We find out that she put GUM in her 10 month old brothers hair. We are all being baptized and chrismated TOMMORROW. Our son has very little hair. My husbands first thought was to cut it out. But she didn't just put the gum in his hair, she RUBBED it around in a circle. Needless to say, my son had his first peanut butter hair pack Cheesy It is so hard not to laugh when your kids misbehave sometimes..... Tongue

I remember getting gum in my hair as a kid, and working in childcare and as a hairdresser I helped numerous kids/people with various substances in their hair. But this is my first time as a parent doing so. Sigh...and I doubt this will be the last time either.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:10:58 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »

Oh! And the same daughter then pelted her little sister in the side of the head with a large snowball (courtesy of our sudden spring snowfall of 2 inches). She is batting a THOUSAND today!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »

laugh

It never fails, it always the night before (or the morning of... be prepared) some big event. The morning of school picture day when my brother was 7-8, he decided to trim his bangs by chopping them off at the scalp, but only halfway across his forehead.  My mom thought she'd teach him a lesson and just left them that way.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

LOL Cheesy
Does peanut butter actually work?
Try freezing it with an ice cube and breaking it up.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:29:20 PM »

That's a problem you want fixed if there's not much hair.

When our third was baptized, he was dang near bald.  When it came time for the priest to cut the hair . . . let's just say that as long as the service is, this was the longest part.

You gotta have hair.  Actually, now that i think about it, what about people who want to be baptized but don't have hair?

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »

One weekend my wife took Sophia, our youngest at just more than a year at that time, with her to see her parents and left me with the three oldest kids, aged 4, 6, and 8 (no way we get afford to all go!).

She was leaving on a Friday and returning Sunday evening. On the Saturday, the older girl Marisa and younger boy Nick were having a footrace in the street. Marisa was winning, so Nick showed his nature as a competitor by sticking out his leg and tripping his sister. I watch in horror as she bounces head first on the concrete, loosing a tooth and scraping her face into a mess. I grab her and do what I can to help her, but before I know it the older boy Ryan lands a punch or two on Nick in retaliation for making Marisa cry.

Nick now needs ice for his black eye, and as I grab the ice Nick and Marisa jump Ryan in vengeance for his attack on Nick. Before you know it, all the kids look like they've been in a car wreck.

The next day I pick up Lori and Sophia at the airport. Lori is greeted by the three kids I was in charge of, who are overjoyed to see their mother. When their greetings are done, I kiss her, and she looks at me with a bit of fire in her eye and says..

"I leave you in charge of them for one day...one day...and this is what happens. And school pictures are tomorrow, too!"

That was the year all the kid's pictures looked like they'd been through a tornado.

And, I've never been left in charge of three kids for a weekend since.  Tongue

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

I bet you were quite relieved, too!   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »

That sounds like the advice a wiser man gave me:

"The first day back home with your new wife, offer to do the dishes.  Proceed to break a small piece of your new china.  You'll never do dishes again."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »

That sounds like the advice a wiser man gave me:

"The first day back home with your new wife, offer to do the dishes.  Proceed to break a small piece of your new china.  You'll never do dishes again."
Make sure it's the Lenox. Worked like a charm for me.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

One weekend my wife took Sophia, our youngest at just more than a year at that time, with her to see her parents and left me with the three oldest kids, aged 4, 6, and 8 (no way we get afford to all go!).

She was leaving on a Friday and returning Sunday evening. On the Saturday, the older girl Marisa and younger boy Nick were having a footrace in the street. Marisa was winning, so Nick showed his nature as a competitor by sticking out his leg and tripping his sister. I watch in horror as she bounces head first on the concrete, loosing a tooth and scraping her face into a mess. I grab her and do what I can to help her, but before I know it the older boy Ryan lands a punch or two on Nick in retaliation for making Marisa cry.

Nick now needs ice for his black eye, and as I grab the ice Nick and Marisa jump Ryan in vengeance for his attack on Nick. Before you know it, all the kids look like they've been in a car wreck.

The next day I pick up Lori and Sophia at the airport. Lori is greeted by the three kids I was in charge of, who are overjoyed to see their mother. When their greetings are done, I kiss her, and she looks at me with a bit of fire in her eye and says..

"I leave you in charge of them for one day...one day...and this is what happens. And school pictures are tomorrow, too!"

That was the year all the kid's pictures looked like they'd been through a tornado.

I'm surprised the Principal didn't get you locked up for child abuse. Grin

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Tags: children accidents 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: