OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:34:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok Prayers to Pray?  (Read 2389 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 17, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »

I have been wondering, in addition to the prayers we get from the Prayer Books we might have, what parts of the Divine Liturgy can we pray? Can we pray anything else from other services? And can we also pray the Psalms?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »

I have been wondering, in addition to the prayers we get from the Prayer Books we might have, what parts of the Divine Liturgy can we pray? Can we pray anything else from other services? And can we also pray the Psalms? 

The Psalms are a terrific prayer book, for a number of reasons:

1. They're like a mini-summary of the Torah,
2. They recount God's mercy on His people,
3. They were the most ancient songbook of the Church, and it is still used as such,
4. They're easy!

If you'd like to pray any and all of the other services (of the daily cycle), go ahead; there are other parts of OC.net that speak about what to do when you encounter the Priest's part (insert a number of "Lord, have mercy" repetitions, say "Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers...," etc.), but otherwise, they're good to pray.

It is always useful to meditate on the Liturgy (read the prayers, think about them, pray for what they speak about to become true and real for you in your life); but remember that the Liturgy is properly done by the community in the context of the Eucharist - outside of that context it is a bit out of place.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:24:23 AM »

In my molitvenik[ prayer book ] i pray all the parts priests ,deacons ,everybodys,,, thats at home only i think were are also considered a priest of the house hold i think thats correct......stanislav.......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:12:06 AM »

As Cleveland has said, the Divine Liturgy is a Eucharistic service. When you're praying without a priest, you should say the Order of the Typika instead.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:18:56 AM »

Also the Jesus prayer, I believe it's always OK, at any circumstances, whether you are alone or with other people. Simply "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." (It sounds better in languages that convey the original Greek "eleison" as love, tenderness, healing power, etc., rather than the English "mercy"/"pity".)

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »

^ The Jesus Prayer is my favorite just because I can remember it when I need it.  Smiley

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »

Also, in regard to praying, I once read it was bad to fall asleep when praying, but can't we pray while laying in bed waiting to fall asleep? For me I'd rather not just stop praying before I fall asleep, because that is the one time during the day where I'm relaxed and my mind is going a million miles an hour.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

Devin,

I was told you can pray the Trisagion: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, Have Mercy on Us.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »

And can we also pray the Psalms?

Always pray the Psalms. The Psalter is the best prayer book out there.

You can also pray the entire cycle of services as reader services. Instead of Divine Liturgy, Typika should be read (if you can't make it to DL because of sickness or anything else, do the Typika).

Reader services can be found here: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.htm
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »

My layman's opinion, pray anything from the Divine Liturgy, that is relevant to your private prayers.  Do not recite any of the prayers or hymns that ask for something you cannot ask for in your private prayer environment; that is, anything related to Holy Communion.  You can sing, "Through the Intercession of the Theotokos, Savior Save us; Save us O Son of God...; O Only Begotten Son...[instructional]; Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Trinity One in Essence...", etc.  Again, my humble opinion, I do not think laymen should pray any of the priest's responsibilities.  Most prayers books include prayers for "peace," etc. that are appropriate for the laity, rather than laity reciting the petitions of the Great Litany.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 01:16:39 AM »

You may also pary the Typica Service when you can not get to a Divine Liturgy on Holy Days and Sundays.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »

Here's a nice quick bedtime prayer from my Ukrainian prayer book: "Lord, guard me by the might of Your Holy and Life-Giving Cross and keep me from all evil. Into Your hands I surrender my spirit and my body; bless me, have mercy on me and grant me eternal life, amen."

Love never fails.
Vasileious

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »

I love praying the Psalter! You could always get the Pocket Psalter and pray the kathismata! Or, you could get a prayer rope and pray the Jesus Prayer (my personal preference)

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HTMPKTPSLTR

Basil
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:55:11 AM »

Also, in regard to praying, I once read it was bad to fall asleep when praying, but can't we pray while laying in bed waiting to fall asleep? For me I'd rather not just stop praying before I fall asleep, because that is the one time during the day where I'm relaxed and my mind is going a million miles an hour.

IMHO we can pray anywhere and everywhere and at anytime.  God is always there to listen.

PB
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 07:38:14 AM »

I noticed that when I pray at home, I have some difficulty reciting the "historical" prayers from my prayer book (like the prayers of St. Makarios the Great, of St. Basil the Great, of St. John Chrysostomos). On the other hand, the prayers of supplication, like "o Lord, save and have mercy on the Church, Patriarchs, Metropolitans, Archbishops, Bishops, Presbyters, Deacons, laymen... our governors... my parents, brothers, sisters, all my relatives and friends... the old, the young, the poor, the saddened, the captives, the prisoners..." etc., run very smoothly.

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: