Author Topic: In Memoriam: Archbishop Gregory [Afonsky]  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Thomas

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
In Memoriam: Archbishop Gregory [Afonsky]
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »
In Memoriam: Archbishop Gregory [Afonsky]

JACKSON, NJ [OCA Communications] -- His Eminence, Archbishop Gregory [Afonsky], retired Archbishop of Sitka and Alaska, fell asleep in the Lord at his home here on the evening of Tuesday, April 15, 2008, three days before his 83rd birthday.

The son and grandson of priests, Archbishop Gregory was born George Afonsky in Kyiv, Ukraine, on April 17, 1925. During World War II, he was taken by the German army to work labor camps in Germany. In 1949, he emigrated to the US, where he served as choir director at parishes in New Jersey and Connecticut.

After completing a degree at the University of Connecticut, he attended Saint Vladimir's Seminary, Crestwood, NY, from which he graduated in 1965. Later that year, he was ordained to the diaconate and the priesthood. His first assignment was Saint Sergius Chapel at the Metropolitan’s Residence in Syosset, NY, (which would later become the OCA Chancery) where he served as Church archivist from 1965 to 1971. He also received a Master of Arts degree from Hofstra University and a Master of Theology degree from Saint Vladimir's Seminary.

In November 1971, Fr. George was assigned rector of Saint Nicholas Church, Portland, OR, and shortly thereafter took monastic tonsure at Saint Tikhon's Monastery, South Canaan, PA, receiving the name Gregory. In March 1973, he was elected Bishop of Sitka and Alaska. His consecration to the episcopacy took place at Archangel Michael Cathedral, Sitka, AK, on May 13, 1973.

In addition to his duties as diocesan hierarch, Bishop Gregory was instrumental in establishing Saint Herman's Pastoral School, Kenai, AK. He oversaw the school's move to Kodiak, AK, and its elevation to the status of a theological seminary. He was instrumental in revitalizing many communities throughout the Diocese of Alaska, and delighted in attending annual regional conferences. He was deeply loved by his flock, especially the diocese's native Alaskan population.

The author of several books in Russian and English, as well as numerous articles, His Eminence was a passionate researcher of the Church’s historical legacy in North America. He served as episcopal moderator of the OCA Department of History and Archives and chairman of the OCA’s Canonization Commission.

In 1995, Bishop Gregory was elevated to the rank of archbishop by the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America. Later that year, after 22 years of fruitful archpastoral service in the Diocese of Alaska, he retired due to failing health.

After the fall of communism, Archbishop Gregory was reunited with his brother after nearly 50 years of separation, when his brother visited him in the US. Later, His Eminence was also able to travel to Russia and Ukraine.

Funeral services for His Eminence, Archbishop Gregory will be celebrated at the Nativity of the Holy Virgin Church, 316 Cassville Rd., Jackson, NJ. On Friday, April 18, 2008, at 6:00 p.m., His Grace, Bishop Tikhon of Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania will preside at the Funeral Service for a Hierarch. On Lazarus Saturday, April 19, His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman, will preside at the hierarchical Divine Liturgy at 9:00 a.m. Interment will follow in the parish cemetery.

For more information on funeral services, please contact the rector of Nativity of the Holy Virgin Church, Archpriest John Prokopiuk, at (732) 928-8060.

May Archbishop Gregory's memory be eternal!

Thomas
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
Re: In Memoriam: Archbishop Gregory [Afonsky]
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
+ Memory eternal.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
Memory eternal.
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »
Memory eternal.
How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
In November 1971, Fr. George was assigned rector of Saint Nicholas Church, Portland, OR, ...
My home parish, though I've not been a member of this church long enough to have ever met Fr. George/Archbishop Gregory personally.  I'm sure a few of the old-timers at my church will remember him, though.  May His Eminence's memory be eternal.  (I'm sure he'll remain on our list of the departed for quite a long time as a former rector of our parish.)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:02:49 AM »
Memory eternal.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »
Memory Eternal.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 03:13:10 AM »
ВЕЧНАЈА ПАМЈАТ..И БЛАЖЕНИ ПОКОЈ ДАЈ ГОСПОДЕ СЛУГИ ТВОЈЕГ...........АМИН.....
SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:50:34 AM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline EofK

• Mrs. Y
  • Protokentarchos
  • lolcat addict
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »
Memory eternal!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Out for a stroll...
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »
Memory eternal.
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

Don't believe everything you think.

The more I know, the less I know.   ;)

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
Memory eternal.

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »
His book published in 1994, "A History of the Orthodox Church in America 1917-1934," is revealing, or was at the time of publication, as least to my knowledge, and is based on genuine, exhibited, documentation.  Again to my knowledge, it was the first publication to reveal the documentation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate's authorization to the emigre Russian bishops to minister to their emigre faithful in Constantinople and its environs, who later became, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  It also likewise revealed the Ecumenical Patriarchate's rescission of that authorization and the reasons therefore.  He had intended to write a successor publication on this history, but I don't know if he ever did so. 

"Eternal Memory, you who are worthy of Blessedness and Eternal Memory."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:23:45 PM by BTRAKAS »
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline Galina-Volga

• Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 10:26:19 PM »
Vechnaya pamyat'! Memory eternal!