OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How You Keep Them Down On the Farm?  (Read 1092 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« on: July 10, 2003, 03:11:28 PM »

Assuming that female priests are not the answer, then how should the church deal with a world in which families are broken and fathers are absent?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 03:21:46 PM »

I would say having a male parish priest is a good starting point: having a father figure in the parish is an inspiration.

Families were broken in the Roman Empire, too, and the Church met the need then without female priests.

The Orthodox Church can meet the needs of modern life by offering an undiluted example of holiness and its impact on one's life.

A simple answer; I don't beleive we need to constantly come up with new gimmicks to "help people" like the self-help crowd (Not saying you subscribe to that, btw.)  Consistent witness in a simple, humble manner will do the trick, I believe.  It worked on me.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 05:26:12 PM »

Let's not forget godparents. Every godparent makes a promise to God, the child,and the parents to teach that child how to walk a straight path towards the Lord.

In my life, my godfather has had to fill in while my father was not 'available'.  I'm grateful for his counsel (he was a former Marine D.I., so he's pretty hard to ignore! ;>) ) and without him I know I would have made multiple mistakes.

This system has worked for the history of the Church; it's just in these 'advanced' times that we forget the importance of this godparent-godchild relationship.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 05:38:58 PM »

Keble,

I agree wth anastasios says about the symbol of a male priest.

I disagree that a female priest is better suited to minister to unwed/divorced mothers. Because I feel that instead of helping the situation, that another strong female figure for the children would be detrimental. They already have that at home and generally in school. And it certainly would not help the woman to have ANOTHER woman friend to tell her problems to.

A man is supposed to head up a family and the Church.

The woman and her children need a stong male prescence. If they cannot get it at home, then at least they can get it in the Church.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 05:40:00 PM by TomS » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 09:34:29 PM »

Assuming that female priests are not the answer, then how should the church deal with a world in which families are broken and fathers are absent?

Preach the Gospel. Give it to men and women straight.

Only the Gospel of Jesus Christ can stop the tide of sin that leads to abuse, broken families, and absent fathers.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 11:34:11 PM »

Amen. Linus!

I know that I personally have become a more forgiving and patient man since I have become closer to the Church and our Lord.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:36:28 PM by TomS » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: