OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To all you website developers/maintainers  (Read 2485 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 16, 2008, 09:56:20 PM »

Hey y'all,

I'd like to do create a website from scratch but I'm not sure where to begin.  For example, I'm playing around with Angelfire's free hosting site just to get some HTML practice.  I've even purchased an HTML/XHTML/CSS tutoring book and I'm getting, let's say, sufficient.  But I understand that it's not necessary to learn HTML anymore.  So, after I find a reputable site host, what next? 

In Christ,

Gabriel 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:03:41 PM »

HTML is necessary if you want to make a website from scratch. It's also useful if something breaks or doesn't end up looking like how you want it, because then you can look at the HTML and figure out what's wrong.
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »

So, after I find a reputable site host, what next?

I would highly recommend downloading a free trial of Dreamweaver.  If you already have some experience with html then all the better.  Dreamweaver is bar-none the industry standard for website design.  You might want to read a little about the program before you start the 30-day trial so you can hit the ground running.  www.lynda.com is a great tutorial site (but there is a monthly fee)... it includes excellent video tutorials on Dreamweaver.  Hope that gets the ball rolling for you!  God bless

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »

I don't like Dreamweaver that much. I code by hand (I know you can use Dreamweaver to preview your hand coding). But that may not be right for you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:19:54 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:45 PM »

each design is just a change of CSS and images. HTML stays the same on each page
http://www.csszengarden.com/

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »

If you need an WYSIWYG client, I'd recommend either Quanta Plus or KompoZer.  If anything, it can help keep your code in order and nicely indented.  laugh

Well, depending on what you plan on doing with your site, you could learn VBScript, JScript, PerlScript, PHP, etc.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »

About half my business is web development.  My advice, set up a www.wordpress.com site first.  It's free other than hosting. You won't get something as functional and robust up as fast any other way.  If you ever grow tired of this, buy a copy of Dreamweaver and a good tutorial and go nuts.  I even did my personal site, www.silouan.com, in wordpress just to show people you can develop something nice and functional on a budget and quickly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:30:54 PM by livefreeordie » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »

I'm wanting to give our parish's website a big kick-start as we currently have nothing.  As in nada, zip, zilch.  Dreamweaver looks great, but at $350-$400, I don't think I would be endearing myself to the parish council.  I see a lot of great parish websites out there and wonder 'How'd they do that?'  Are there software out there with existing templates that can be tweaked? 

Siloun- Is it possible to create a parish website with wordpress?

Friul- I know what WYSIWYG is but are you referring to any particular software?

In Christ,
Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »

Friul- I know what WYSIWYG is but are you referring to any particular software?

KompoZer is an open-source, cross-platform editor.

Quanta Plus is part of the KDE Desktop Environment (I think you can port it for win32, but probably not worth the effort).

Plus, the SeaMonkey Project has a built in HTML editor.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:53:33 PM »

Siloun- Is it possible to create a parish website with wordpress?
In Christ,
Gabriel

Yes, actually I'm in the process of doing a wordpress site for my parish and my parish's bookstore.  Mainly because once its installed, anybody, without any HTML knowledge, can easily update it.  It outta be up by the end of bright week, I'll send you a message when it's done.

And if you want to look, these two websites are wordpress sites and I'm friends with the developer.  http://www.dormitionmonastery.org/ and http://sgpm.goarch.org/Monastery/index.php.  You can get your site looking pretty close to these with very little HTML knowledge.  To customize wordpress as much as these though you would need some HTML and CSS knowledge.  Nothing you couldn't learn pretty quickly. And you could get a basic wordpress site up with no HTML knowledge.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »

KompoZer is an open-source, cross-platform editor.

Friul, I really appreciate your help with this, but you're dealing with someone with very limited tech knowledge.  For instance, what does open-source and cross-platform refer to? Cheesy

Gabriel

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

"Open source" means that the software's code is either not copyrighted or has a copyright which allows anyone to legally copy or modify it.

"Cross-platform" means the software will work on multiple operating systems, e.g. Windows, Mac OS, or Linux.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
howdydave

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »

Howdy!

I developed my site from scratch.
I wrote out every line of HTML in longhand.

While designer software will allow you to build a site, it will be very slow due to the fact that there is a lot of unnecessary code in the final product.

If you want to build it from scratch, I would suggest that you definitely use CSS!

I constructed my site when I was slowly recovering from a major injury just to prevent brain rot from setting in.  I ended up with about 30 pages!

My reference book was:

HTML In Plain English
by: Sandra E. Eddy

but there may be some better general reference books out there by now.

After you find a reputable host, you need to get a URL for yourself.
My definition of a "reputable host" is one who will register and renew your URL for you.

You get a site and use FTP software to transfer the code from your computer to the URL on the host's server.

Whenever you want to edit your website, you can access your site from your computer and make changes.

Always keep a backup copy of your HTML code on your computer!
That way if your server has a major crash, you will be able to reload your code from your backup.

To maximize your visibility, use lots of META TAGS!
Add lots of content and keyword information.

To get yourself on the search engines, go to some meta-search engines (such as IxQuick.com) and do a search on your URL. The search engine spiders will detect your site and pick up all of the information in your meta tags the next time they go out.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 02:35:50 AM by howdydave » Logged

Dave

Recognition of the vastness of one's own ignorance
is the first step on the road to true wisdom!
Tags: Web Design HTML CSS WYSIWYG Dreamweaver Quanta Plus KompoZer SeaMonkey Wordpress 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: