OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asperges and the Divine Liturgy  (Read 1039 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: April 16, 2008, 05:25:21 PM »

I used to be Roman Catholic, and when I was, I remember the priest sprinkling the people with Holy Water before the beginning of Mass.  This is called Asperges.  However, I have not yet seen this done at an Orthodox Church (except in the Liturgy itself, on Theophony Sunday) , or an Eastern Catholic one (where one finds holy water fonts).  Is the rite of censing the people the equivalent in the East of sprinkling with Holy Water in the West?  Or, is the significance different?  Also, why is the censing of the people part of the Divine Liturgy whereas Asperges in the West is not considered a part of the Mass proper?  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:28:29 PM by StGeorge » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »

the Asperges or, in the Paschal Season, the Antiphon "Vidi Aquam" is part of the Western Rite.  Your observation though is correct, the Eastern Rite churches use incense whereas the West uses holy water.  One is neither more right than the other.  I particularly being annointed with the Holy Water before the Liturgy began and I look forward to it all the more during Theophany.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »

I used to be Roman Catholic, and when I was, I remember the priest sprinkling the people with Holy Water before the beginning of Mass.  This is called Asperges.  However, I have not yet seen this done at an Orthodox Church (except in the Liturgy itself, on Theophony Sunday) , or an Eastern Catholic one (where one finds holy water fonts).  Is the rite of censing the people the equivalent in the East of sprinkling with Holy Water in the West?  Or, is the significance different?  Also, why is the censing of the people part of the Divine Liturgy whereas Asperges in the West is not considered a part of the Mass proper?  Thanks.   

Censing and Asperges have different origins and purposes.  The Asperges seems to be tied to Epiphany, sanctification of waters and the blessings associated with it - so it's tied to sanctification and purification.

Censing is an extension of burning incense as an offering - an act that clearly predates Christianity.  Censing is the burning of incense as an offering, and the offering of prayers.  It is done at the points of movement in the services (Entrances in Liturgy, the dance & entrance of the newly baptized and chrismated, the movement of the body in the Funeral, movement of the people & offering at the Blessing of the Loaves, etc.), and at special blessings (other points in the funeral, Trisagion / Memorials, etc.).

The prayer offered for incense at the preparation of the gifts tells much of the story: "We offer to you incense, O Christ our God, as an offering of spiritual fragrance.  Accept it now before your heavenly altar and send down upon us in return the grace of the All-Holy Spirit."  Then again there is the hymn of vespers: "Let my prayer arise as incense before you..."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Censing Holy Water Asperges 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: