OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:51:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop Publishing Program  (Read 2440 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: April 16, 2008, 09:09:19 AM »

I am going to be preparing our parish's weekly bulletin and monthly bulletins and need everyone's recommendations for a very simple desktop publishing program.  Our main needs are tri-fold brochures and 8 1/2 x 14 fold-in-half booklets that are easy to paginate.

Microsoft Publisher is too expensive and I think overkill.  But what about Click Book or Page Plus 9?

Thanks alot!

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »

Tina, I vote we just spring for a bunch of monkeys with typewriters. Tongue

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »

Will MS Word cut it?
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »

Tina, I vote we just spring for a bunch of monkeys with typewriters. Tongue

You try running that one past parish council.  Purina Monkey Chow gets kinda pricey and you know how the finances are.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
McGuire

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »

Hi,

I suggest you try Scribus. It's an open-source tool with (supposedly) many of the features that you'd find in software like PageMaker or Indesign. I've never used the tool myself, but if you have any questions about general desktop publishing (DTP) techniques, let me know. I have experience with the other (commercial) tools I mentioned, and that might help me understand how the tool operates.

Here are some links:

Homepage:
http://www.scribus.net/

Tutorial:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_with_Scribus

Tech Support Forums:
http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/

Good luck,
Michael
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »

Will MS Word cut it?

Sorry, the problem with just doing a Word document on a legal size piece of paper is the page numbering.  It's fine if you just have one sheet, but when you have 2 or more sheets there is no way to properly format or page number.  You end up literally cutting and pasting the sheets in proper print order.

The software someone suggested is better known as Print Shop.

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:23:11 AM »

Hi,
I suggest you try Scribus. It's an open-source tool with (supposedly) many of the features that you'd find in software like PageMaker or Indesign. I've never used the tool myself, but if you have any questions about general desktop publishing (DTP) techniques, let me know. I have experience with the other (commercial) tools I mentioned, and that might help me understand how the tool operates.
Here are some links:
Homepage:
http://www.scribus.net/
Tutorial:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_with_Scribus
Tech Support Forums:
http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/
Good luck,
Michael

Thank you very much for the suggestions Michael !  I'll look into those too.  And btw, welcome to OC Net.  You didn't think your first few posts on this board would be about computer software did you?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:24:01 AM by TinaG » Logged

McGuire

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »

Thank you for the welcome.

You didn't think your first few posts on this board would be about computer software did you?

Well, that's one of the few subjects where I actually have something useful to say  laugh
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »

If you like Microsoft Publisher, just use it, I'm sure there are several copies provided as a public service over at isohunt.com, my prefered Bit Torrent client is Bit Tornado if you don't already have a favourite you're using. If you don't know how to use BT, just send me a pm.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:52:39 AM »

I like Scribus. It is open source. It has some bugs but it works pretty good once you get the hang of it.

www.scribus.net
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:53:04 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

I would recommend Scribus too.  I've also used OOo Draw too, but you would need to download the entire suite.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »

Scribus seems to be the most recommended, and hey, it's free.  I can always give it a try and if I don't like it, fork over the $$$ for something else. 

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 12:34:40 AM »

You try running that one past parish council.  Purina Monkey Chow gets kinda pricey and you know how the finances are.
Monkey's like bananas, don't they? laugh
Tags: DTP Scribus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: