OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 06:11:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know this this iconagrapher?  (Read 2103 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: April 15, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

http://www.markellstudios.com/
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

Nicholas Markell is a relatively well known  artist who practices in the area of religous and sacred arts.  He has a staff of artists/apprentices  who work with him.  He does stained glass as well as Icons. He is a Roman Catholic both by faith and education. He produces for the Roman Catholic Church market primarily but also for the Episcopalian Church.  His technique is good and apparrent with his traditional Orthodox Icons, but expands beyond Aastern Orthodox topics as seen by his icons of western saints post-schism.  I do not know what he teaches in his "Iconic" Classes pertaining to spirituality for the iconographer. The  following is what his website syas about the "Iconic Workshop" :

"With graduate degrees in Pastoral Ministry, Sacred Theology and Spirituality, Nicholas’ skills as presenter and facilitator enable him to convey the Eastern liturgical understandings of iconography from a Western theological perspective. Thus all participants will grasp concepts easily and, with no
previous art experience required, advance in creating an icon of their very own during the course of the week. Participants will learn to use traditional materials such as 23 kt gold and egg tempera emulsion mixed with ground pigments applied to a natural gessoed panel. Nicholas Markell presents
these basic techniques in ways that invite both new and seasoned artists to experience iconography as the form of prayer and spiritual renewal that it truly is. This emphasis makes your workshop an excellent ecumenical opportunity as a collaborative venture for neighborhood churches. Through
all this, participants may tap their capacity for positive change, inc"

It is telling his website notes him as Artist rather than an iconographer.

Thomas
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:21:22 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

Do you know if he sells icons or if any of his icons are available through a distributor?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

From what I can tell, most of his work is done directly with Churches, however his website does contain information on how to contact him directly.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »

Thanks

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »

My Catholic friend was discussing first communion gifts with some other ladies and they were pointed to the aforementioned artists version of Rublev's Trinity. When I went to look at it it seemed "off" to me. Maybe I am just nutty.....I know that many people make their own version of various icons. But I also know that it is a BIG DEAL to write icons. I couldn't really figure out who he was, what his training was, what he believed or anything else. So he isn't an Orthodox iconographer. He is an "artist" that creates "iconic images."

Thank you for the information Thomas.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:24:38 AM »

His site indicates that he has studied under some Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Iconographers but he tends to jump around.  Most iconographers study under one Master Iconographer and incorporate or perpetuate that particular school of iconography images rather than study under many with the more eclectic  approach of this artist. JMHO.

Thomas

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:03:59 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

His site indicates that he has studied under some Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Iconographers but he tends to jump around.  Most iconographers study under one Master Iconographer and incorparate or perpetuate that particular school of iconography images rather than study under many with the more eclectic  approach of this artist. JMHO.

Thomas

Ditto.  This guy's look on the weird side.  I'd look at others.
A Sombra

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:51 AM »

Defintiely not an "Iconographer." "Artist" for Protestant churches? Probaly closer . . . by definition, a Roman catholic or Portestant cannot be an Iconographer....
Tags: iconography 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: