OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:19:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Slavic Fluctuation  (Read 2532 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« on: April 15, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »

This defies description, so I won't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuFJoexdlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgjNq-Y8NGk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:56:22 PM by Keble » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »

Defies description?  I'll give 'er a shot: dumb.  Really dumb. Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »

Did Flock Full of Seagulls do these guys' hair?

Sweet Home Alabama is a terrible song anyway.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

Do I need glasses?  Am I reading what I think I'm reading?  This, coming from a guy who listens to a bunch of long-haired clowns who's mascot is a zombie named Eddie... Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »

Did Flock Full of Seagulls do these guys' hair?

"Whatcha got thar is a genuine Moscovite Mullet"!  Raj Muzykanty, Raj!

Ung-Certez
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

Ung-Certez

nary a cymbaly on that stage as well.

Ung-Certez

Vind'ber Selo

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »

Ung-Certez

"Business up front, party in the back"!  Rock on!

Ung-Certez
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 06:58:31 AM »

nary a cymbaly on that stage as well.

How could you tell? There's one of almost everything else, including one of the Cowboys playing a Wagner tuba.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »

Do I need glasses?  Am I reading what I think I'm reading?  This, coming from a guy who listens to a bunch of long-haired clowns who's mascot is a zombie named Eddie... Cheesy

Hey, them's fightin' words, mister!

UP THE IRONS!

And this collaboration between the RRAC and Leningrad Cowboys is awesome.  then again, I love odd collaborations such as this, particularly when the material is unexpected.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:16:12 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »

Gabriel,

You just called Iron Maiden a bunch of clowns?  As soon as I get done repenting (which will be never) or after Lent is through (whichever comes first), I'm going to find you and make you listen to every single Iron Maiden album (except for the Blaze Bailey albums-terrible) while you are duct-taped to a chair with bright lights flashing in your eyes.  And if you still don't like them or repent of your slurs, well..I'll do something else you won't like.  What do you think about that?

Mein Herr Schultz,

Let's get together and teach this guy some good music! Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »

What do you think about that?
Well, let's see.  I'd rather suck Zyklon-B through a straw than listen to a bunch of mangy dirt-heads scream at the top of their black tar, nicotein filled lungs.  Run to the hills?  Forget that.  Run off a cliff.  And The Trooper?  More like the Super Trooper meow.  Cheesy Face it, these guys give Spinal Tap a good name.  Not to put too fine point on it.  Kiss  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:24:01 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »

Well, let's see.  I'd rather suck Zyklon-B through a straw than listen to a bunch of mangy dirt-heads scream at the top of their black tar, nicotein filled lungs.  Run to the hills?  Forget that.  Run off a cliff.  And The Trooper?  More like the Super Trooper meow.  Cheesy Face it, these guys give Spinal Tap a good name.  Not to put too fine point on it.  Kiss  Cheesy

Yeah, they're just like Spinal Tap.

This is a band who has consistently put out gold and platinum albums with minimal airplay who have a true global fanbase.  How many popular bands take the time to go by themselves (as opposed to part of a larger music festival) to Israel?  India?  Dubai?  Australia?  The number is very few.  Fewer still are the number of those bands that continue despite being practically shunned by the popular media.

BTW, singer Bruce Dickinson, who, I might add, is also an accomplished Olympic class fencer and licensed commercial airline pilot in addition to his singing duties for Maiden AND hosting a weekly BBC radio show, abhors smoking.  Oh, and his hair is short nowadays Smiley

You don't have to like the music, but you also don't have to parade your ignorance around attacking individual members in letting us know your musical tastes. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:24:13 AM »

This is a band who has consistently put out...
Relax bro.  I have haven't seen you this upset since they canceled Party of Five!  First, recall that that he did invite comments by asking "What do you think of that?".  But in all actuality, I was teasing Scamandrius, as I have many times, over this particular musical preference.  I think he understood this, just as I understood his "threat" to duct tape me to a chair was a joke.  But if I were you, dude, I would pay particular attention to how I react to such childish nonsense as this.  Can't you just say, "Hey, I like them." and move on instead of maniacally screaming 'UP THE IRONS!"?  Really, what's that all about?

Scamandrius, if I truly offended you, I sincerely apologize.  Through our many PM's, I consider you a friend and wouldn't intentionally try to hurt you.   

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »

Relax bro.  I have haven't seen you this upset since they canceled Party of Five!  First, recall that that he did invite comments by asking "What do you think of that?".  But in all actuality, I was teasing Scamandrius, as I have many times, over this particular musical preference.  I think he understood this, just as I understood his "threat" to duct tape me to a chair was a joke.  But if I were you, dude, I would pay particular attention to how I react to such childish nonsense as this.  Can't you just say, "Hey, I like them." and move on instead of maniacally screaming 'UP THE IRONS!"?  Really, what's that all about?

Scamandrius, if I truly offended you, I sincerely apologize.  Through our many PM's, I consider you a friend and wouldn't intentionally try to hurt you.   

EEP!  I was just joining in the fun myself!  I thought my emoticons would have showed that!

One thing you must understand by now about Iron Maiden fans is that we are indeed maniacally fanatical about our band.  Henry Rollins once told a story about playing on the same bill as Maiden during one of his spoken word performances.  He remembered how terrible it was playing before them because the vast majority of the people were there to see Maiden and Maiden alone; the opening bands were just unnecessary.  Henry laughed about how fanatical their fans were and, as if on cue, someone in the audience yelled, "UP THE IRONS!".  "See!  They're everywhere!" he replied.  laugh

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 12:20:13 PM »

Defies description?  I'll give 'er a shot: dumb.  Really dumb. Wink

No, it's "Schtick" and it's very clever and fun.  I like them, though I will admit that the first time I saw them, I was ummmm somewhat gob-smacked.  (Memo to self: do not look at videos like this first thing in the morning before having a cup of coffee). 

The takes and parodies of old Soviet style is thought out.  The drum set in the "Tractor" that puffs 'smoke', their emblem that I realized was a parody of the star with Lenin, the clothing, is all planned "schtick" to go with the act. The Red Army Choir/instrumentalists/dancers seem to be having a grand time, too.  The way they meld the musics together takes alot of practice and originality.  I had a real hoot with "Give me All Your Love" having the Soviet anthem and "Halleluia Chorus" thrown in *and they did fit*.  There's another vid of "Sweet Home" where there are some good shots of the choir and the men are smiling and seem to be having fun; one gentleman is really getting into the feel of the music and the man playing a really big balalaika is grinning.

I've found out from an American living in Finland that the Leningrad Cowboys are very popular there. 

It's fun.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:21:37 PM »

Yeah, they're just like Spinal Tap.

Turn it up to 11?
 Grin Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 12:23:56 PM »

How could you tell? There's one of almost everything else, including one of the Cowboys playing a Wagner tuba.

And the Red Army band has one of the Big Balalaikas

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »

Turn it up to 11?
 Grin Wink

LOL!  Cheesy  Great stuff.  Great movie.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:39:12 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: