OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:51:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 900 times) Average Rating: 0
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« on: April 14, 2008, 01:31:52 AM »

I've learned that at baptism in the Orthodox Church, you are granted power to resist tempation. If that's the case, what are people outside the Church, or even those who are hoping to eventually convert to Orthodoxy supposed to do when they get tempted?
God Bless†

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:42:15 AM »

I've learned that at baptism in the Orthodox Church, you are granted power to resist tempation.
This is not an exclusive statement that says that baptism is the ONLY way God gives grace to resist temptation.

If that's the case, what are people outside the Church, or even those who are hoping to eventually convert to Orthodoxy supposed to do when they get tempted?
Rely on the strength God gives them apart from the sacramental life of the Church.  It may not be as much or as full as what the Orthodox receive in Baptism, Chrismation, the Eucharist, and the other sacramental Mysteries, but it is something.  Remember, God wills that ALL should be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4).  Do you think He's going to restrict Himself to the sacraments He has established for us when He desires that ALL should be saved?
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »

Personally, I find the threat of having to go to confession a powerful way to resist temptation.   Wink  Confession is great and needed frequently but it sure scares the heck out of me.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer

St. James

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »

Personally, I find the threat of having to go to confession a powerful way to resist temptation.   Wink  Confession is great and needed frequently but it sure scares the heck out of me.

But non-Orthodox can't go to confession.

And I thought it might be somewhat scary. Some say it is, others say it's not. I know I'll be nervous, at least for the first time.

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »

In truth, it's not as bad as I think it will be.  Every time I've gone, I've dreaded it up until I get there and start my confession and then I feel like I've stripped a ton of weight off afterward.  I always think of the character of Eustace from The Chronicles of Narnia... he got himself turned into a dragon and once he repented of his selfishness and greed, Aslan gave him a good scratch and the scaly dragon hide peeled away to reveal the boy inside.  It's a great picture of confession and repentance.  (I believe that was in The Dawn Treader.)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »

Pray to God.

Confess in your prayers about your sins and temptations then ask Him for the strength to resist temptation and ask Him to take away your temptation.

God bless.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: