OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 05:28:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejoice, o Bethany  (Read 3979 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: April 13, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »

Does anyone out there have a recording (preferably in English) of the hymn Rejoice, O Bethany which is used as a Koinonikon on Lazarus Saturday and also for the procession on Palm Sunday?  If so, if you could send it to me as an mp3 attached file to my personal email address? That would be great.  Many thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:26:16 PM »

I don't have a downloadable recording, but the Boston Byzantine Choir put out a CD called "Thy Passion," a few years ago...basically an anthology of Holy Week Hymns, which includes "Rejoice, Oh Bethany" in English.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »

I don't have a downloadable recording, but the Boston Byzantine Choir put out a CD called "Thy Passion," a few years ago...basically an anthology of Holy Week Hymns, which includes "Rejoice, Oh Bethany" in English.

SakranMM,

Yes, I saw that, but I don't have a copy and I really need to pick one up and learn it before Lazarus Saturday.  I don't suppose you have it and could send it to me in a personal email as a file attachment?  Let me know.  Thanks.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »

http://www.antiochian.org/sacredmusic/pdf/Lazarus%20Saturday-Palm%20Sunday%20Series.pdf

Scroll down to page 9....it's there, music in English.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »

Thanks. I actually got the sheet music the other day, but I learn music far better by hearing it performed rather than me punching it out on the piano.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:09:09 AM »

Here is a Youtube video I came across. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rju5GyVtfnQ
One of my favorite hymns!

Here is an interesting fact; It was composed by Met. Athanasios of Homs. While Met. Athanasios was still a deacon he arrange for a young man by the name Rafla to begin studies towards the priesthood. Rafla went on to become a priest and was the first Bishop consecrated in North America. You may know him now as St. Raphael of Brooklyn... now you know the rest of the story.

Joseph
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »

Here is a Youtube video I came across. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rju5GyVtfnQ
One of my favorite hymns!

Here is an interesting fact; It was composed by Met. Athanasios of Homs. While Met. Athanasios was still a deacon he arrange for a young man by the name Rafla to begin studies towards the priesthood. Rafla went on to become a priest and was the first Bishop consecrated in North America. You may know him now as St. Raphael of Brooklyn... now you know the rest of the story.

I LOVE Boston Byzantine Choir's CD on Passion Week!! Been listening to it all Lent!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: