OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:40:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian History show on PBS last night  (Read 2526 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 09, 2003, 01:51:54 PM »

Did anyone see it?  I was flipping back and forth between it and something else.  It was on PBS (my TV channel listing shows two PBS stations - weird) from 10-11 PT.  I think it was part of a regular show called Religions of the World.  It pretty much ignored Protestantism and focused on RCC and EO.  There was an RC priest, (I think) an EO priest (don't know who - had a balding forehead, trimmed beard and glasses - seemed Anglo, but could've been Greek or Russian (no accent)) and some "scholar type".  Even though it talked about the East vs. West, it was still rather western biased (of course).  Not bad for PBS, but I really didn't watch the whole thing.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 02:26:25 AM »

anyone?
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 02:11:04 PM »

anyone?

The only religion show that I saw on PBS last night, Elisha, was part of the program on the life of the overly-scrupulous Augustinian friar, Martin Luther.  From what I could see (despite all the corruption at the highest levels of Roman Catholicism at the time) was a bias in favor of Martin Luther the hero vs. the monolithic Roman Catholic Church, of which only the exposed sores but not the good being done were shown or emphasized.

Hypo-Ortho
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 03:40:28 PM »

Last night July 9th they had a speacial narrated by Martin Sheen on The Vatican. It was interesting, part of the show concentrated on the "ordination" of several new bishops. Only by watcing closely you could see that one of the bishops was Eastern Rite (he wore the Byzantine Bishop vestments before and after his "ordination").

Joseph
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 04:58:55 PM »

The only religion show that I saw on PBS last night, Elisha, was part of the program on the life of the overly-scrupulous Augustinian friar, Martin Luther.  From what I could see (despite all the corruption at the highest levels of Roman Catholicism at the time) was a bias in favor of Martin Luther the hero vs. the monolithic Roman Catholic Church, of which only the exposed sores but not the good being done were shown or emphasized.

Well if the show has a secular, or to put it simply, at all "modern" bias, it has to put a good spin on Luther - without him, the secular paradise they now enjoy (or to which they believe they're headed) would not have been possible.  The Reformation signalled the end of western Christendom, which it's safe to say most secular folks have little affection for.

Seraphim

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 08:00:37 AM »

Well if the show has a secular, or to put it simply, at all "modern" bias, it has to put a good spin on Luther - without him, the secular paradise they now enjoy (or to which they believe they're headed) would not have been possible.  The Reformation signalled the end of western Christendom, which it's safe to say most secular folks have little affection for.

Most of you should be glad for Luther-- and especially for Henry VIII. How do you think your freedom to be Orthodox was purchased?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 09:47:45 AM »

Most of you should be glad for Luther-- and especially for Henry VIII. How do you think your freedom to be Orthodox was purchased?

Huh?HuhHuh?? Huh

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
CDHealy

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 11:11:06 AM »

Keble:

I understand what you mean, at least insofar as it refers to the United States, but I think your statement a bit overbroad.

One could argue that the basis of even being Orthodox at all could be attributed to Russia, and the missionary efforts of Sts Herman and Innocent, regardless of the U. S.'s particular political arrangment.

Further, if you look at the early history of the U. S., it was far from certain that religious liberty would actually take the shape it now has.  Cf. the Baptist and Puritan "theocracies."

Clifton D. Healy
email: chealy5@yahoo.com
blog: http://benedictseraphim.wordpress.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--Hamlet,
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 11:52:55 AM »

Religous freedom was partly because of Puritans and partly because of Catholics in the USA.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 12:18:18 PM »

I think it's stretching things a bit to say that we should attribute credit for our religious freedom to - of all people - Henry VIII and Martin Luther. Neither of them believed in allowing others religious freedom, that is plain.

HVIII and Luther are both part of the history of Western Europe, and it was there (in Britain, anyway) that modern representative democracy first developed. They made no direct contributions to its progress, however. It could be argued that both men were reactionaries who, if anything, slowed the advance of religious freedom.

Since democracy did ultimately flower in Britain, it is reasonable to posit that what HVIII did in taking England out of the papal orbit contributed to that. Certainly democracy was not HVIII's intent.

Luther's contribution, if any, is less clear, especially since the history of Germany is mostly a history of authoritarianism.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 12:23:41 PM »

Well, it appears no one saw that show I did then.  It was basically a Christian history up until the Reformation.  Russia, the Crusades and other issues were actually mentioned.  It seemed to have somewhat of an East vs West theme.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 12:59:13 PM »

Well, it appears no one saw that show I did then.  It was basically a Christian history up until the Reformation.  Russia, the Crusades and other issues were actually mentioned.  It seemed to have somewhat of an East vs West theme.
Elisha,
Perhaps your local PBS station aired a non-network show. We get many local programming shows here in central PA. I searched the pbs.org website and could not find the show you described; however, your description is tempting. Perhaps you could call/email your local PBS station's program manager for more information?
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 02:25:32 PM »

I also understand Keble's point, but think it's inaccurate. There were Protestant-esque revolts by Europeans even before Luther (The Pope was deposed at Basle in the 15th century, for example; this council also asserting that the Council was greater than a pope, and that once a Council began a Pope had no authority to move or close it by himself), and IMO once the "Enlightenment" hit it was all downhill for the papacy's power--in certain areas at least--anyway.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 03:51:30 PM »

Lol.  Grin

True enough, but you know us: we'll use any thread as an excuse to blah, blah, blah-blah-blah . . .

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: