OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it okay to agree with Immaculate Conception and still be Orthodox?  (Read 35819 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2010, 10:49:37 PM »

I also find it interesting that you will lambaste the Roman papacy for proclaiming that his teachings on faith and morals--which in your mind are often nothing more than theological opinions--have infallible authority yet at the same time complain that a bishop of our own Church refuses to grant any dogmatic authority to his theological opinions. Don't you find this double standard rather hypocritical? You can't have it both ways, Fr. Ambrose.

I find your reasoning too contrived.

Please allow me to have my view of things without asking whether or not I am hypocritical.  The fact that you phrase it as a question does not disguise the ad hominem.
There's no ad hominem in saying that you hold to a hypocritical double standard, for I'm criticizing the double standard to which you hold, not you who hold the double standard. Last I knew, double standards were fair game for debate and criticism.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:36:58 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »

I don't see any confusion whatsoever in what His Eminence has stated. He personally doesn't believe in the Immaculate Conception for specific theological reasons, but he sees it possible for other Orthodox to disagree with him and still remain Orthodox. What's so confusing or wishy-washy about that? What's so wrong with the fact that Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware) is not as rigidly dogmatic as you would like him to be on this particular issue?

In my mind there is confusion because I see his written words to Daniel Barton as a repudiation of his previous allowance that Orthodox may believe or not believe in the Immaculate Conception. You and others do not so interpret them.  Hence there is confusion.
Might I suggest that the confusion you blame on Metropolitan Kallistos is purely a projection of your own? There's no repudiation whatsoever in His Eminence's words to Daniel Barton. "I personally do not believe in the doctrine..." is a statement of personal belief regarding the doctrine in question. It speaks in no way of whether it is acceptable for Orthodox to believe in the doctrine, because it does not speak at all of other Orthodox.

I think that you and I have hold of different parts of the elephant.

While you have focused on the first half of the sentence I am looking more at the second half

"personally does not believe the doctrine as it changes all of history of mankind".

I would see a bishop who has the charism of "rightly dividing the word of truth" as not acting responsibly towards his flock if he did not bring to their attention that pro IC members are holding a doctrine which  "changes all of history of mankind".
Then you're projecting onto His Eminence your personal ideals of how he should shepherd his flock and not discerning what he actually intended to communicate. Whether you focus on the trunk of the elephant or his rump, there simply is no flip-flopping. Metropolitan Kallistos personally does not believe in the Immaculate Conception but recognizes no dogmatic authority that binds the Orthodox faithful to agree with him. That's certainly his prerogative as a bishop to make such a distinction between personal theologoumenon and the dogmatic authority of the Church and to discern when to present each.

I, for one, am very happy to see Metropolitan Kallistos exercise enough humility to not teach his personal beliefs regarding the Immaculate Conception as though they were the dogmas of the Church.

This bishop can be, to me, alarming in his personal views and his insistence that the Orthodox are entitled to hold them.

Another alteration of his beliefs has taken place on the question of the ordination of women.

"As regards this present piece, it represents an extensive revision of something that I originally
wrote in 1978. Since then my views on the issue have altered. In 1978 I considered the ordination
of women priests to be an impossibility. Now I am much more hesitant. I am far from convinced by
many of the current arguments advanced in favor of women priests; but at the same time a number
of the arguments urged on the other side now appear to me a great lead less conclusive than they
did twenty years ago. What I would plead is that we Orthodox should regard the matter as essentially
an open question. Let us not imagine that in this area everything is clarified and finally settled; for
manifestly it is not, either for us Orthodox or for other Christians.'

One assumes that the bishop may present another alteration of his beliefs at some future date.

So a bishop has the humility to recognize that he doesn't know everything and tweaks his views a bit after researching the matter more closely. How is that bad? I honestly wish more Orthodox were like that.

Going from "women priests are an impossibility" to "we must be open to women priests in Orthodoxy" is not simply "tweaking" his views.  You seem to be saying that you agree with him that we should be open to the idea of Orthodox women priests
And you seem to be putting words into my mouth, which I don't appreciate.

(although I admit it is very often impossible to discern your beliefs.)
Good! I like it that way. Smiley

Archimandrite Mother Myrella LeClair of the Ohio Orthodox Catholic Church
And what does a gratuitous photo from another thread about a heretical body of vagantes have to do with the OP or even with this tangent? Huh
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #272 on: December 30, 2010, 03:18:44 AM »

His Eminence Kallistos (Ware) and Errors about the Immaculate Conception.

If we read the statement of His All-Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople we learn that the teaching of the Immaculate Conception is based on an erroneous teaching of Original Sin.

In order to allow the Orthodox faithful to subscribe to the Immaculate Conception His Eminence needs to allow them to hold an erroneous teaching on Original Sin.These are nether of them minor errors and Metropolitan Kallistos is, in my opinion, acting very irresponsibly if he will allow a belief in two erroneous doctrines in the Orthodeox Church.

THe Patriarch's statement  ~ see  message 50at

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20612.msg308255/topicseen.html#msg308255
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #273 on: December 30, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »

His Eminence Kallistos (Ware) and Errors about the Immaculate Conception.

If we read the statement of His All-Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople we learn that the teaching of the Immaculate Conception is based on an erroneous teaching of Original Sin.

In order to allow the Orthodox faithful to subscribe to the Immaculate Conception His Eminence needs to allow them to hold an erroneous teaching on Original Sin.These are nether of them minor errors and Metropolitan Kallistos is, in my opinion, acting very irresponsibly if he will allow a belief in two erroneous doctrines in the Orthodeox Church.

THe Patriarch's statement  ~ see  message 50at

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20612.msg308255/topicseen.html#msg308255
How exactly is that irresponsible?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #274 on: December 30, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »

What the Catholic Church actually teaches about Original Sin from the Catechism:

404 How did the sin of Adam become the sin of all his descendants? The whole human race is in Adam "as one body of one man."293 By this "unity of the human race" all men are implicated in Adam's sin, as all are implicated in Christ's justice. Still, the transmission of original sin is a mystery that we cannot fully understand. But we do know by Revelation that Adam had received original holiness and justice not for himself alone, but for all human nature. By yielding to the tempter, Adam and Eve committed a personal sin, but this sin affected the human nature that they would then transmit in a fallen state. It is a sin which will be transmitted by propagation to all mankind, that is, by the transmission of a human nature deprived of original holiness and justice. And that is why original sin is called "sin" only in an analogical sense: it is a sin "contracted" and not "committed"—a state and not an act.

405 Although it is proper to each individual, original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants. It is a deprivation of original holiness and justice, but human nature has not been totally corrupted: it is wounded in the natural powers proper to it; subject to ignorance, suffering, and the dominion of death; and inclined to sin—an inclination to evil that is called "concupiscence." Baptism, by imparting the life of Christ's grace, erases original sin and turns a man back toward God, but the consequences for nature, weakened and inclined to evil, persist in man and summon him to spiritual battle.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #275 on: December 30, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »

Just a reminder that this thread is still on Faith Issues. If any of you Catholic posters would like to ask questions regarding our position vis-a-vis the Immaculate Conception, please ask them on the Orthodox-Catholic board. Thank you. (I left the post immediately above this here as the corrective it is intended to be, but the rest of the attempt at Orthodox-Catholic dialogue I moved to the Orthodox-Catholic board where it belongs.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:39:56 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #276 on: December 31, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »

Just a reminder that this thread is still on Faith Issues. If any of you Catholic posters would like to ask questions regarding our position vis-a-vis the Immaculate Conception, please ask them on the Orthodox-Catholic board. Thank you.

Ooooops!!

Cancel my last attempt to post.  I forgot where we were.  So sorry!!

Mary

fatman2021
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Banned

Jurisdiction: Russian Old-Orthodox Church

Protopope Avvakum, pray for us.

« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »

Is it okay to agree with Immaculate Conception and still be Orthodox? No.

O God be merciful to me a sinner. You, O Lord who created me, have mercy on me. I have sinned without number,O Lord, have mercy on me and forgive me, a sinner.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »

Why?

I'm going to need this.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #279 on: August 12, 2011, 01:02:13 PM »

Why?

In 2004 the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew outlined why Orthodox cannot accept a belief in the Immaculate Conception.

The Patriarch's statement  ~ see  message 50
at

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »

Merely repeating the question in the OP and then offering a short, 2-letter response with a period does not really make this post anything more than another low-content post.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »

Q: Is it okay to agree with Immaculate Conception and still be Orthodox?

A: I would also say no. The two reasons being:

1) In an Orthodox theological context it is an unnecessary solution to a nonexistent problem.

2) Believing in the immaculate conception involves adopting certain presuppositions; it involves accepting a view of sin which is not consistent with Orthodox teaching.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:39:12 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »

Why?

Because, as it has been put recently, the Theotokos is the great example, not the great exception. The Immaculate Conception also presupposes the doctrine of original guilt, which is foreign to Orthodox teaching. We are born in a fallen state, but we are not born damned. We bare the consequences of the fall, but not the guilt of it. The IC exists because Christ cannot have original guilt, as He is God and must be sinless. Therefore, he must have a sinless flesh to assume, and so The Virgin Mary is protected against this original guilt so that she may properly give birth to Christ.

Further, not only does the presupposition of original guilt not exist in Orthodoxy, the presupposition of fallenness does. Christ must assume all of our human nature, even our fallenness. St. Paul tells us, "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." (Heb. 4:15). Christ struggled with the very same passions we do, being subject to human fallen nature, but due to His divinity, He did not sin. This is vital in Orthodox theology. As St. Gregory the Theologian states, "that which was not assumed is not healed; but that which is united to God is saved."

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #283 on: August 12, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »

Why?

Because, as it has been put recently, the Theotokos is the great example, not the great exception. The Immaculate Conception also presupposes the doctrine of original guilt, which is foreign to Orthodox teaching. We are born in a fallen state, but we are not born damned. We bare the consequences of the fall, but not the guilt of it. The IC exists because Christ cannot have original guilt, as He is God and must be sinless. Therefore, he must have a sinless flesh to assume, and so The Virgin Mary is protected against this original guilt so that she may properly give birth to Christ.

Further, not only does the presupposition of original guilt not exist in Orthodoxy, the presupposition of fallenness does. Christ must assume all of our human nature, even our fallenness. St. Paul tells us, "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." (Heb. 4:15). Christ struggled with the very same passions we do, being subject to human fallen nature, but due to His divinity, He did not sin. This is vital in Orthodox theology. As St. Gregory the Theologian states, "that which was not assumed is not healed; but that which is united to God is saved."
Thank you for your very erudite answer, but I think Azurestone was trying to lure Fatman into giving us more than just a curt "NO." Wink
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #284 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »

Why?

Thank you for your very erudite answer, but I think Azurestone was trying to lure Fatman into giving us more than just a curt "NO." Wink

Lol. In that case, whoops!  Lips Sealed

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »

Why?

I am very interested to hear more from fatman because he is an Old Believer.  We are constantly told by erudite Catholic apologists that the Old Believers have "maintained" the teaching of the Immaculate Conception.

With his access to reliable Old Believer sources and teaching fatman should be able to lay this to rest.
Tags: Theotokos Immaculate Conception Original Sin Theotokos and sin 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: