OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 01:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want an online Orthodox Church  (Read 487 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 12, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »

You know for those days where I am too lazy to get out of bed and I can wear my PJs and get on the computer an virtually be at Church.

I just have to figure out how Communion would work.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »

You know for those days where I am too lazy to get out of bed and I can wear my PJs and get on the computer an virtually be at Church.

Shouldn't be too hard to create...  angel

I just have to figure out how Communion would work.

Maybe you can ask your priest if you can take home some of the eucharist, like they did in the early days of the Church?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

I'm thinking you would be missing out on all the Sacraments.

Besides, the Church is a community.  

If not for yourself, get dressed and come to support the rest of us!  

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »

I'll admit the thread was tongue in cheek; I was just thinking about that Russian Patriachate thread where they made a site to refute media claims on the contrary, and someone said it's about time they caught up with the times.

Yes the sacraments would be a problem, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be at making confession via webcam...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »

I'm thinking you would be missing out on all the Sacraments.

Besides, the Church is a community.  

If not for yourself, get dressed and come to support the rest of us!  

Smiley

I agree completely that the community of faithful is crucial. However, this idea has merits as it could be of use for those folks who are too far away or who cannot leave their home. It also could be a passive method of evangelization. I once read about how the windowless churches in Uganda were attracting converts from passers by. I think we would need a praying congregation, nice choir and chanters, and a good homilist.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »

"Father, is this camera angle okay? Can you see my face? Oh, ****, my connection just went out, again. **** it."

Anything with computers ups the possibility of cursing by 500%. Let's not tempt fate here.  Cheesy

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:59:30 PM »

Is there ppl who go and visit shut ins and old ppl who cant get to the church and take them the cup and bread as well?? I guess thats what the priest does uh??
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »

Anything with computers ups the possibility of cursing by 500%. Let's not tempt fate here.  Cheesy
I don't need computers to curse in front of my priest, unfortunately.  Roll Eyes

Is there ppl who go and visit shut ins and old ppl who cant get to the church and take them the cup and bread as well?? I guess thats what the priest does uh??
The priest does this. My priest has told me of little old ladies who adamantly keep the Eucharistic fast on the days they know he is coming even though it means they will not be able to take their medicine until after they commune.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »

"Father, is this camera angle okay? Can you see my face? Oh, ****, my connection just went out, again. **** it."

Oh that wasn't a purple demon that was just a couple of viruses attacking my computer.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: