OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 10:35:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H.H. Pope Shenouda III's Visit to Ethiopia  (Read 1672 times) Average Rating: 0
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« on: April 11, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »

Does anyone have any update on His Holiness Pope Shenouda III's Official Visit to Ethiopia, that began on Friday, April 11th, 2008 and will last for three days?  Thanks...

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »

I actually found very little on His Holiness Pope Shenouda III's visit to Ethiopia.  I was hoping that one of the brothers, especially Archdeacon Amde Tsion would be able to get 'the inside scoop' for me, event by event.  I hope that more news comes in...

I found the following excerpt on the internet by an Ethiopian deacon.  It is a revised version of a speech by HH Pope Shenouda III at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  I believe that it is an edited version of the Mahibere Q'dusan's (EOTC Sunday School in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) original copy.

Speech by His Holines Pope and Patriarch of the See of St. Mark [Alexandria, Egypt]Shenouda III On the Occasion of His Holiness' Second Visit to Ethiopia: The Holy Trinity Cathedral, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia [April 12th, 2008]

His Holiness, my brother Abune Paulos, the Patriarch of Ethiopia and Archbishop of Axum; All my brothers, the Metropolitans, Bishops and Clergy of the Ethiopian Church; Our dear Ambassador to Egypt,Your Excellencies—I greet you in the name of God. I am very glad to see Ethiopia after (about) 34 years.
    Some differences and misunderstandings began from the time of the Mengistu regime, but we thank God you became rid of all of these problems. Our relationship with the Ethiopian Church returns us to the year 329 A.D., when Pope Athanasius of Alexandaria consecrated the first bishop for Ethiopia [Saint Frumentius-Abba Selama I]. That means more than 16 centuries ago, we were together. We are one faith and the same orthodoxy, with the same teaching of our Lord. We are together in many facets, especially in the World Council of Churches and I am happy that His Holiness Abune Paulos is one of the presidents of the World Council of Churches. I took this responsibility about twenty years ago, so we are working toward the same goals. My visit to the Ethiopian Church today is only the beginningof a deeper, future relationship, God's willing.
    I am pleased that Ethiopia is flourishing in many areas. I was glad to see the new Addis Ababa, with new buildings that I didn’t see in my previous visit. Also, the airport is new, along with many new things—Also, our relationship is renewed! We were pleased that Abune Paulos visited Egypt and we welcomed him in a very warm and deep manner. We are also thrilled to come here and to see similar people—all of them are our brothers (and sisters).
   I thank our sons who offered us their ceremonial prayer service. When I met some of the Ethiopians, I was quite sure of their sonship to us and we too, have deep feelings for them.
     I invite and encourage you to visit Egypt if you are able. This invitation is extended to the entire population. In Egypt you can visit and take the blessings of the relics of Saint Mark and Saint Athanasius. All of us are the sons of Saint Mark. Everywhere in the world, there are many churches and cathedrals that bare the name of St. Mark. The first church that we established in London, England, is that of Saint Mark. The first Church we established in America, Canada and Kenya are also named after St. Mark. We love Saint Mark and all of us are children of Saint Mark.
    We thank Saint Mark, because he evangelized us, preached the word of God to us and established among us, the Christian faith, becoming a martyr in Egypt. Egypt has the privilege of having the blood of Saint Mark on epigrams. Egypt was also blessed by the Visit of the Holy Family—our Lord Jesus Christ, St. Mary and St. Joseph.  In the past, fourty years ago, Saint Mary appeared on the domes of the Church of Saint Mary of Zeitoun.
    We love you and we want to do our best in every thing that we can do for you. You may present your executive orders to us and they will be fulfilled. I am glad with the building of the theological college(s). I wish it will be filled with students and teachers. I brought exemplary teachers for you. I was very pleased to see so many Sunday School teachers and students and I wish that the Sunday Schools may be successful in all of its works. You can see in our Church that we have pastoral care for every child from the very beginning of his and her life, and care for him or her as far as they may grows, to whatever age. In Cairo alone, we have more than 30,000 Sunday School teachers. In some of our larger Churches, we have about three hundred teachers.These teachers are both male and female. Also, in our seminaries we have students that are male and female,  because if the mother is educated in theology, the Bible and in the teachings of the Church, she can be a great benefit for her children and for the area in which she lives.
    We want pastoral care for everyone, because in the last day God will ask everyone, “O servant, did you fulfill your responsibility that was given to you?”
     Saint Augustine once said in his prayers, “O God, I teach these people, but in front of you I am only a student. I receive teaching from you, to give unto them and what you gave me, I give them. I am the shepherd of these people, but before you, I am only a sheep. You shepherd me and shepherd them.” This is our work, to be servants of the people. Once some people came from America and asked me about our work in the priesthood. I said to him, to such a person, our work is not authority, but rather a responsibility. You can understand it and every authority we take from God is how to fulfill our responsibility. Responsibility is for every child, everyone, every man and every woman, for every youth. It is for us to build the kingdom of God and to prepare a way for others to enter this Kingdom.
    May God bless all of you! May God bless our two Churches and may God give us His Holy Spirit to dwell in our hearts and to guide our thinking in order to do His will. May this blessing commence through the intercession of all the saints,  Amen.

Peace...

HaileAmanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »

Something has happened during Pope Shenouda's visit.  It seems there was a halo around the sun and people interpreted as a sign:

Sun halo wows Ethiopia amid poll
A halo around the sun startled people in Ethiopia during Sunday's local elections, with many seeing it as a miracle or a sign from God.

The ring of light caused by sunlight refracted by ice crystals hung in the sky for almost an hour before it finally faded and disappeared.

Some Ethiopians say it last appeared in 1991 before a military regime fell.

But the BBC's Elizabeth Blunt in Addis Ababa says there is little chance it could augur change this time.

She says the overwhelming majority of candidates are from the government party.

Churchgoers who had flocked to see the visiting Patriarch of Alexandria, Pope Shenouda, acclaimed the phenomenon as a miracle, or at least a sign of a blessing from God.

Thank you, God, for revealing a sign
Abuna Paulos, Patriarch of Ethiopia 

Pope Shenouda himself believed it was a signal from above.

"We accept any sign from God to encourage us in our way," he said, "and confirm that we are going right in our way."

Abuna Paulos, the Patriarch of Ethiopia, added his voice to those who believe in signs from God.

"If God reveals himself from the sky," he told a press conference, "we believers do not get surprised. We only rejoice and double our efforts to thank God. Thank you, God, for revealing a sign."

Dictatorship

But others looked for more secular implications.

Older people in Addis Ababa remember seeing the ring around the sun once before - in the last days of the Derg, the despised military dictatorship, just before its leader Mengistu Haile Mariam fled to Zimbabwe.

But there is little prospect of the government falling in these elections.

The opposition winners of the controversial elections in 2005 in urban areas never took their seats and did not stand again.

The most successful of the other opposition parties pulled out, complaining of intimidation and our correspondent says the results are almost certain to consolidate the ruling party's hold on power.

Results have not been published yet but an election official said turnout had been massive.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa/7346133.stm

Published: 2008/04/14 11:14:37 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7346133.stm

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Tags: Pope Shenouda Ethiopian Orthodox Church Coptic Orthodox Church Ethiopia Africa African Orthodoxy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: