OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joan Chittister: Friend or Foe?  (Read 8419 times) Average Rating: 0
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »

Since when was Orthodoxy mainstream??

Oh, I don't know, maybe ever since it was made the official religion of the Roman Empire?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »

And is it true to say also that Orthodoxy became mainstream in many countries such as Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, etc.?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2008, 01:30:38 AM »

And is it true to say also that Orthodoxy became mainstream in many countries such as Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, etc.?

Yes...and it tends, in general, not to take on the flavour of fundamentalism seen in 'internet-orthodoxy'. They're Churches not made up of the ultra-pious, but by normal people, by 'sinners'. The religion of people who can't commit their fair share of sins, AND be OK with it, really scares me...that's how you get suicide bombers.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »

The religion of people who can't commit their fair share of sins, AND be OK with it, really scares me...that's how you get suicide bombers.

The other end of the religious extremist spectrum is just as damaging and isolating as what is happening in Pakistan, Iran and Iraq, love. You have to wonder if this "Sister" is really doing more harm than good by being so disobedient to a Church she's suppose to love, and to hear you speak sometimes, Greeki, it's like the Church, whether Catholic or Orthodox, is doing something to its faithful that is the equivalent of the Inquisition. Let me tell you something. There was much persecution against Padre Pio by the Catholic Church, much persecution and inflicted silence on him because of the jealousies and lies of others. Yet this holy man endured all of it for the sake of Christ, and this goodness won out in the end. This woman is very much like a suicide bomber in her Cujo-like anger and hatred for the teaching and traditions of the Catholic Church. Catholicism and Orthodoxy are not cults like The Family, love. There are reasons for our restrictions, and the modern world will never accept these because the modern world doesn't see much use in the modesty and restraint that is the love of Christ through the Church. I do agree that sin has entered both Catholicism and Orthodoxy, such as in the forms of indulgences and Purgatory.Yet both religions are made up of flawed people, yet is it too far fetched to say that both have brought more peace than heartache to the world? Can one be at peace with God and Heaven if one disobeys those religious laws that are designed to bring us closer to God? There is reason in the rules of our Churches because God did not create the world and then leave, Greeki.

I certainly don't have explanations for a lot of things, but I trust that God is still guiding the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. I also believe that like any wayward child, we often think we know better than the One who created everything you see. You admire Science and Nature so much, and that is very noble, but just remember Who came up with the workings behind them. God knows what He's doing, and I think this nun has turned her back on that Reason and is behaving like an apostate.
 Inappropriate colourful language.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:36:35 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:29 AM »

The other end of the religious extremist spectrum is just as damaging and isolating as what is happening in Pakistan, Iran and Iraq, love. You have to wonder if this "Sister" is really doing more harm than good by being so disobedient to a Church she's suppose to love, and to hear you speak sometimes, Greeki, it's like the Church, whether Catholic or Orthodox, is doing something to its faithful that is the equivalent of the Inquisition.

She is doing harm, though I do not blame her for it (as I believe she is doing it in ignorance), she is doing harm by giving the façade of credibility to institutions that deserve none. To institutions that have as their sole motive the destruction of humanism and human freedom. It might be better for us if the entire Catholic Church was like the SSPX, so that way we could simply laugh at them, dismiss them, and get on with our lives as 21st century human beings. But people like Sister Joan Chittister make us sit back and look at the Church as though there might be something to it, in the long run the fact that we even bother to give them the time of day may be very damaging.

Let me tell you something. There was much persecution against Padre Pio by the Catholic Church, much persecution and inflicted silence on him because of the jealousies and lies of others. Yet this holy man endured all of it for the sake of Christ, and this goodness won out in the end.

The con-artist who claimed to be some pseudo-messiah? This guy couldn't stop cutting himself and tried to make it out as some divine gift? He obviously had a severe psychiatric disorder, I sympathize with the guy, he needed treatment and medication but never got it...a failure of the system, no doubt.

This woman is very much like a suicide bomber in her Cujo-like anger and hatred for the teaching and traditions of the Catholic Church.

Last I heard she hasn't strapped C4 to her chest and blown up a school buses. It's unfortunate that some people think that just because someone can think objectively and see through their scam that they must be ready to kill them. Roll Eyes

Catholicism and Orthodoxy are not cults like The Family, love. There are reasons for our restrictions, and the modern world will never accept these because the modern world doesn't see much use in the modesty and restraint that is the love of Christ through the Church.

Hey, stick with one theory and go with it, you can't have it both ways. You can't be denouncing the world as evil and still be a legitimate religion...that fear of reality is pretty much the essence of a cult.

I do agree that sin has entered both Catholicism and Orthodoxy, such as in the forms of indulgences and Purgatory.Yet both religions are made up of flawed people, yet is it too far fetched to say that both have brought more peace than heartache to the world?

Yes.

Can one be at peace with God and Heaven if one disobeys those religious laws that are designed to bring us closer to God? There is reason in the rules of our Churches because God did not create the world and then leave, Greeki.

As slaves perhaps...If I cannot meet God as an equal, I would rather spend eternity without him. I only deal with equals.

I certainly don't have explanations for a lot of things, but I trust that God is still guiding the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

Why?

I also believe that like any wayward child, we often think we know better than the One who created everything you see. You admire Science and Nature so much, and that is very noble, but just remember Who came up with the workings behind them. God knows what He's doing, and I think this nun has turned her back on that Reason and is farting in God's face.

Who came up with it? Randomness, chance, and natural selection? Sorry, just not willing to attribute a natural development to a personal deity.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:54 AM »

Eh, I have rebuttals for all your points, but it's 1:42 AM here and me sleepy...I'll do it tomorrow... Tongue

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2008, 03:16:01 AM »

Go for it I look forward to both the sarcasm (I presume (i.e. hope) you were being sarcastic in your last post) and debate. Wink

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »

She is doing harm, though I do not blame her for it (as I believe she is doing it in ignorance), she is doing harm by giving the façade of credibility to institutions that deserve none. To institutions that have as their sole motive the destruction of humanism and human freedom. It might be better for us if the entire Catholic Church was like the SSPX, so that way we could simply laugh at them, dismiss them, and get on with our lives as 21st century human beings. But people like Sister Joan Chittister make us sit back and look at the Church as though there might be something to it, in the long run the fact that we even bother to give them the time of day may be very damaging.

GiC, do you mean this seriously, or what?

I realize the post that you're responding was a bit harsh in tone, and make have provoked a certain degree of sarcasm; but these statements just don't seem like you at all.

- Puzzled in New England

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »

GiC, do you mean this seriously, or what?

I realize the post that you're responding was a bit harsh in tone, and make have provoked a certain degree of sarcasm; but these statements just don't seem like you at all.

- Puzzled in New England

Eh, I only half mean it, I'm the person I was talking about who probably should dismiss the Church outright, but will look at people like Sr. Joan Chittister and pause, thinking maybe there's something there worth taking note of after all. My post was taking a step outside of myself and objectively considering the situation.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »

I have split off the discussion about Padre Pio and Stigmata and moved it here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15600.msg222384/topicseen.html#msg222384

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »

Just a note...I have appealed to the appointed peoples for access to Area 51...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »

^LOL!  Hope you sent in a non-corrosive blood sample and proof of heritage compatible with this planet.

I've been watching too much Stargate.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »

Desert dwellers see and hear many strange things...and without enhancements

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »

Please keep this thread on topic.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2008, 04:09:47 PM »

Sorry about that.  [/sheepish]

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

Something that occurred to me: It would be more helpful to find out just what Sr. Joan has said or written so that her actual words and ideas could be examined and addressed, rather then just saying that she's a 'heretic' or 'doing harm' or making remarks on the lady's physical appearance.  What does she say?  What does she think is wrong?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »

If this thread is being entirely deleted, I wish it NOT to be deleted as I am trying to make a point to GreekIsChristian concerning logic. Please do not delete my post.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:06:56 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »

The other end of the religious extremist spectrum is just as damaging and isolating as what is happening in Pakistan, Iran and Iraq, love. You have to wonder if this "Sister" is really doing more harm than good by being so disobedient to a Church she's suppose to love, and to hear you speak sometimes, Greeki, it's like the Church, whether Catholic or Orthodox, is doing something to its faithful that is the equivalent of the Inquisition. Let me tell you something. There was much persecution against Padre Pio by the Catholic Church, much persecution and inflicted silence on him because of the jealousies and lies of others. Yet this holy man endured all of it for the sake of Christ, and this goodness won out in the end. This woman is very much like a suicide bomber in her Cujo-like anger and hatred for the teaching and traditions of the Catholic Church. Catholicism and Orthodoxy are not cults like The Family, love. There are reasons for our restrictions, and the modern world will never accept these because the modern world doesn't see much use in the modesty and restraint that is the love of Christ through the Church. I do agree that sin has entered both Catholicism and Orthodoxy, such as in the forms of indulgences and Purgatory.Yet both religions are made up of flawed people, yet is it too far fetched to say that both have brought more peace than heartache to the world? Can one be at peace with God and Heaven if one disobeys those religious laws that are designed to bring us closer to God? There is reason in the rules of our Churches because God did not create the world and then leave, Greeki.

I certainly don't have explanations for a lot of things, but I trust that God is still guiding the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. I also believe that like any wayward child, we often think we know better than the One who created everything you see. You admire Science and Nature so much, and that is very noble, but just remember Who came up with the workings behind them. God knows what He's doing, and I think this nun has turned her back on that Reason and is behaving like an apostate.
This is one of the most amazing posts I have seen this year.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:38:25 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2008, 05:35:23 PM »

This is one of the most amazing posts I have seen this year.

You can report it with the comment "post of the month nominee" and we'll consider it in this month's group.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »

oh yeah. I forgot about that.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags: heresy 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: