OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 01:37:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism Crosses  (Read 1543 times) Average Rating: 0
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

The answer to my question is probably on this board, but I'm not doing a very good job at finding it. And, this may not be the best board, it is just my best guess.

I want to explain the value, meaning, and purpose of a Baptism/Chrismation cross to my children.  (Actually, what is the best way to refer to it?) But, I don't have any words for it.

Although I grew up Orthodox, I've had so little genuine instruction, I know less than most Catachumins (I know, my spelling is terrible. You should see it without the spellchecker!  laugh).

Can someone give me a sort of simple explaination for my kids, and then a place to get better answers for myself?

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:20:45 PM »

One way you might try to explain it is that a baptismal cross is sort of like a wedding ring in a sense.  St. John Chrysostom talks about how in baptism, our souls are married to Christ, with Christ being the bridegroom.  Just as when two people are married they wear rings showing they now belong to each other, so our baptismal cross shows we now belong to Christ.  And just as we ideally should wear a wedding ring forever, so should we wear our baptismal crosses forever. 

I hope that helps!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:22:58 PM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I like how that is put.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:34:16 AM »

One way you might try to explain it is that a baptismal cross is sort of like a wedding ring in a sense.  St. John Chrysostom talks about how in baptism, our souls are married to Christ, with Christ being the bridegroom.  Just as when two people are married they wear rings showing they now belong to each other, so our baptismal cross shows we now belong to Christ.  And just as we ideally should wear a wedding ring forever, so should we wear our baptismal crosses forever. 

I hope that helps!

Awesome. I like that explanation. I didn't know you kept the baptismal cross, though.

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »

Beautiful explanation!

Why would you not keep the baptismal cross, its a gift from the godparents, and usually quite costly as well.  I hope my kids not only wear them frequently (when they are older of course) but that they use them for their weddings etc as well!
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:29:18 AM »

Beautiful explanation!

Why would you not keep the baptismal cross, its a gift from the godparents, and usually quite costly as well.  I hope my kids not only wear them frequently (when they are older of course) but that they use them for their weddings etc as well!

Wow, I didn't know that.

And I come from a Protestant background, so I'm not used to the baptismal crosses and.... Most everything in the Orthodox Church haha.

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
Tags: baptism Holy Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: