OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:38:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hell  (Read 1945 times) Average Rating: 0
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« on: April 11, 2008, 01:43:17 AM »

Does the Orthodox Church have a direct doctrine about Hell? I've heard that She teaches what Heaven is for Christians is Hell for unbelievers. Is that a universal, sound teaching in the whole of the Orthodox Church or does anyone know for sure?
Thanks & God Bless†

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:08 AM »

Does the Orthodox Church have a direct doctrine about Hell? I've heard that She teaches what Heaven is for Christians is Hell for unbelievers. Is that a universal, sound teaching in the whole of the Orthodox Church or does anyone know for sure?
Thanks & God Bless†

What is your source for this information and the other information you have questioned?  Just curious.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:57:45 AM »

Have you clicked the "Hell" tag at the bottom of this thread yet?  That will take you to a list of some threads where this subject has been discussed before.  You might find some answers to your questions there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:58:11 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Seamus

St. James

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:59:52 AM »

What is your source for this information and the other information you have questioned?  Just curious.

Well, the priest at the church I go to says that's what the early Church teaches. And I think St. Issac of Syria, if I'm not mistaken..

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
Seamus

St. James

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:00:14 AM »

Have you clicked the "Hell" tag at the bottom of this thread yet?  That will take you to a list of some threads where this subject has been discussed before.  You might find some answers to your questions there.

Thanks.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:34:38 AM »

Well, the priest at the church I go to says that's what the early Church teaches. And I think St. Issac of Syria, if I'm not mistaken..

um..  what church orthodox?

Seamus

St. James

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:11 AM »

um..  what church orthodox?

OCA

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »

OCA

curious, what you said on the pope thread you started and this thread, are you quoting him verbatim?

Seamus

St. James

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:02:31 AM »

curious, what you said on the pope thread you started and this thread, are you quoting him verbatim?

Who, the priest at my church? No, this is the only thing I posted that I talked to him about, I think. I just posted it because some say this is the way hell is, and other's don't.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 09:18:12 AM »

This is my priest's opinion also. I would consider it a sound teaching, although not universal. I haven't found a universal teaching along these lines, but neither have I found one contradicting it. It just seems the Orthodox Church is much more concerned with Heaven than She is Hell.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 09:28:37 AM »

Thanks & God Bless†

I am not that familiar with early Fathers, but right now, here's what one can find on the doctrinal page of the Orthodox Church's Web site:

"The end-time will follow, with a permanent separation between good and evil, between those who will be awarded etemal life of happiness and bliss in heaven, and those who will be condemned to the fire of eternal damnation, to the eternal remorse of their conscience for having rejected God and authentic life in Him and having joined the inauthentic life invented by the devil and his servants." http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8038.asp

I don't see here any rigid connection with "believing/non-believing." Rather, hell is for those who consciously chose to join the devil and his demons, i.e. to remain unrepentant, proud, selfish, unkind to others etc.

Love never fails.
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »

Doesn't the Apostle Paul say in regards to those who have not been preached the Gospel, that if they are good then the Law of God is written on their hearts?  Surely these people are unbelievers but are they not saved?

Maybe the question should be:  is hell for those who have been preached the Gospel yet chose not to believe?
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

Does the Orthodox Church have a direct doctrine about Hell? I've heard that She teaches what Heaven is for Christians is Hell for unbelievers.

This concept, that both heaven and hell are experiences of the same divine presence, is definitely Orthodox. But I venture to suggest that dividing people into believers and unbelievers and assigning them to conditons of heaven and hell might be a little problematic. Christ clearly shows in Mathew 25 that believers could experience the divine presence as hell, dependant on their lack of works, ie love to those in need. Simply being a "believer" might not cut it and the suggestion that it might sounds a little Evangelical to me.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »

I don't see here any rigid connection with "believing/non-believing." Rather, hell is for those who consciously chose to join the devil and his demons, i.e. to remain unrepentant, proud, selfish, unkind to others etc.

^^ I should have read this before posting!  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 02:23:22 AM »

The way It was explained to me was that at the judgment God's eternal love will shine on everyone equally and those that were open and received this love (eg lead a Saintly life) this experience will be bliss (this is heaven) but those who despised God through their actions this will be "burning" (this is hell).

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:48 PM »

This is my priest's opinion also. I would consider it a sound teaching, although not universal. I haven't found a universal teaching along these lines, but neither have I found one contradicting it. It just seems the Orthodox Church is much more concerned with Heaven than She is Hell.

Since Heaven is our hope. Not hell. We are more concerned with heaven. 

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Tags: salvation Hell 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: