OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 10:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Fire in Jerusalem  (Read 4931 times) Average Rating: 0
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« on: April 10, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Pascha_Holy_Light/index.shtml

Has anyone been at the church of the Holy Sepulchre on Pascha Saturday?

This sounds absolutely awesome!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Pascha_Holy_Light/index.shtml

Has anyone been at the church of the Holy Sepulchre on Pascha Saturday?

This sounds absolutely awesome!

Yes, I have been (1986), and yes, it's awesome! You will find my account on the "Holy Fire Website" here: http://www.holyfire.org/eng/svid_p_Grigory_A.htm

But Pascha is awesome in any Orthodox Church!
And in case anyone is wondering, yes, the Holy Light from last year is still going strong! ( see: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11469.msg155522.html#msg155522 )

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:53:18 PM »

You will find some videos of the Holy Light ceremony in Jerusalem here: http://www.holyfire.org/eng/video.htm

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:57:09 PM »

But Pascha is awesome in any Orthodox Church!
And in case anyone is wondering, yes, the Holy Light from last year is still going strong! ( see: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11469.msg155522.html#msg155522 )

I've just now learned of this beautiful custom.  I'm going to try it with the 7 day votive candle and try to keep the flame going all year 'round.  Thanks Hadji George! Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:34:08 PM »

I was there 2006. Very hot, very crowded, very uncomfortable, but very worth it!

I suppose I went in, rather naïvely, expecting to be totally transformed by witnessing this miracle. Instead, it made me realise that such miracles, while a great blessing, do not provide some kind of quick-fix, but merely make more apparent your inner disposition.

So while I would definately recommend anyone who has the opportunity to attend, celebrating the Resurrection of Christ can, as Ozgeorge pointed out, be just as meaningful and moving in any Orthodox church since it is how you approach it, not where you are, that matters.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:46:50 PM »

I was there 2006. Very hot, very crowded, very uncomfortable, but very worth it!

I suppose I went in, rather naïvely, expecting to be totally transformed by witnessing this miracle. Instead, it made me realise that such miracles, while a great blessing, do not provide some kind of quick-fix, but merely make more apparent your inner disposition.

So while I would definately recommend anyone who has the opportunity to attend, celebrating the Resurrection of Christ can, as Ozgeorge pointed out, be just as meaningful and moving in any Orthodox church since it is how you approach it, not where you are, that matters.
INDEED! Grin  Christ is risen just as much in the local parish church as in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.  (Now let us not get too excited yet, unless you follow the Gregorian Paschalion. Wink)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

I doubt I will ever make the trip there. I would love to, but it doesn't seem likely I will every be able to. Whether I am there or not, that is an awesome testament to Orthodoxy TRULY being the one true faith to my mind. I believed it before, but reading about the Holy Fire really cemented it.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »

One thing I love about Orthodoxy is the quiet joy you see in ceremonies like this.  In some other forms of worship, this would be a major selling point and would be splashed over newspapers annually.  I never even knew this existed until last year. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:36:31 PM »

the quiet joy
I love this eloquent phrase which captures what my experience is of so much of our liturgy, Feasts, theology and traditions!
Thank you so much EofK!

Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:13:05 AM »

Thank you for excellent pictures and comments! I always wanted to go there. Hopefully, I will make it one day...
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »

I love this eloquent phrase which captures what my experience is of so much of our liturgy, Feasts, theology and traditions!
Thank you so much EofK!

LOL... thanks!  [/sheepish grin]

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:06:42 PM »

I thought that I would offer the words of Pope Urban II on the Holy Fire in Jerusalem. There have been one or two scoffers (bestial and senseless men, the Pope calls them) who have written that it is all a fraud on the part of the Patriarch (he uses matches or a lighter, etc.)

Here is what Pope Urban said of the Holy Fire in 1096 when he was urging Western Christendom to liberate Jerusalem from the Muslims:

"Of holy Jerusalem, brethren, we dare not speak, for we are exceedingly afraid and ashamed to speak of it. This very city, in which, as you all know, Christ Himself suffered for us, because our sins demanded it, has been reduced to the pollution of paganism and, I say it to our disgrace, withdrawn from the service of God. Such is the heap of reproach upon us who have so much deserved it! Who now serves the church of the Blessed Mary in the valley of Josaphat, in which church she herself was buried in body? But why do we pass over the Temple of Solomon, nay of the Lord, in which the barbarous nations placed their idols contrary to law, human and divine? Of the Lord's Sepulchre we have refrained from speaking, since some of you with your own eyes have seen to what abominations it has been given over. The Turks violently took from it the offerings which you brought there for alms in such vast amounts, and, in addition, they scoffed much and often 'at Your religion. And yet in that place (I say only what you already know) rested the Lord; there He died for us; there He was buried. How precious would be the longed for, incomparable place of the Lord's burial, even if God failed there to perform the yearly miracle! For in the days of His Passion all the lights in the Sepulchre and round about in the church, which have been extinguished, are relighted by divine command. Whose heart is so stony, brethren, that it is not touched by so great a miracle? Believe me, that man is bestial and senseless whose heart such divinely manifest grace does not move to faith!
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/urban2-5vers.html

Here is a web page on the Holy Fire, with accounts from Church authorities and pilgrims through the centuries.

http://www.holyfire.org/eng/

Seeing how this post follows so closely after a recent thread on the same topic, I went ahead and merged this into the earlier thread.  -PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:14:15 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
theinformer

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 02:56:02 AM »

orthodox11, if you went to the holy place did you feel the fire? if so how hot or cold was the fire?.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »

orthodox11, if you went to the holy place did you feel the fire? if so how hot or cold was the fire?.

The flame itself was warm I suppose, but not hot enough to burn you. The wax dripping from the candle did burn however. So while the flame didn't burn you if you put your hand in, it acted like normal fire when it came in contact with other things (as you'd expect - otherwise the candles wouldn't light).
theinformer

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »

Thats strange i heard the fire doesnt burn your hand.And if armerians and copts are heretical, why are they stepping a foot into the holy sepulchre?.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »

Thats strange i heard the fire doesnt burn your hand.

He said it didn't, and my Metropolitan (who's been there for Pascha) said the same.  All Orthodox11 said was that the wax burned when it dripped off the candle.

And if armerians and copts are heretical, why are they stepping a foot into the holy sepulchre?. 

Because our non-Christian governors force us to be quite civil with our neighbors.  It's a wonderful thing.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
theinformer

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »

Its miraculous but you have everyone denying just another manifestation of god. Are armenians and copts Heretics? can someone answer this question?.We know they are schismatic and dont accept the 7 councils but have they done anything that constitutes heresy?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »

Its miraculous but you have everyone denying just another manifestation of god. Are armenians and copts Heretics? can someone answer this question?.We know they are schismatic and dont accept the 7 councils but have they done anything that constitutes heresy?

I don't want to brush your question off; however, if you'd like to talk about that, you should start a thread in the Eastern Orthodox - Oriental Orthodox Polemics forum (it's a private forum - PM FrChris to join).  We shouldn't discuss it here - let this thread be only about the Holy Fire.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
theinformer

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:46:18 AM »

How long doesnt the holy fire burn your physical body? or how much can your, say for instance, your hand tolerate the heat without harm?.
theinformer

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »

By the way orthodox11, is that you in your display picture?.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »

How long doesnt the holy fire burn your physical body? or how much can your, say for instance, your hand tolerate the heat without harm?.

Well, "doesn't burn" means just that - it doesn't burn. I've heard it said that this is the case for the first 33mins, after which the flame assumes normal properties. But when you're in the Church you only get to have your candle lit for a very short time before u have to extinguish it so that the smoke doesn't suffocate anyone in what is an extremely crowded venue.

I don't think I'd have internet access if it was  Smiley
theinformer

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 07:22:13 PM »

i want to know from your person experience, how long(duration) could you put your own hand on the lit candle unstoppingly?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »

i want to know from your person experience, how long(duration) could you put your own hand on the lit candle unstoppingly?

Well, I can't tell you how long I could put my hand in since that implies I eventually got burned, which I didn't. So I don't have any personal experience as to how long one can place ones hand in the flame. I can tell you how long I did hold my hand in the flame continuously, which was a few (5-10) seconds.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:02:24 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »

Does it really not burn?
Have any of you touched the fire, or have participated in the ritual there?

MODERATION:
I have merged this post with this pre-existing thread.
George
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:27:29 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
theinformer

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »

whats that overall that that elder is wearing, looks fully sick.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »

What "overall" do you mean, informer, and what do you mean by "looks fully sick"?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »

You might send Orthodox11 a PM asking about his avatar so we can keep this thread on topic.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 03:46:34 AM »

Are you allowed to bring your own candles instead of that white-paraffin ones?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »

Well, "doesn't burn" means just that - it doesn't burn. I've heard it said that this is the case for the first 33mins, after which the flame assumes normal properties. But when you're in the Church you only get to have your candle lit for a very short time before u have to extinguish it so that the smoke doesn't suffocate anyone in what is an extremely crowded venue.

I don't think I'd have internet access if it was  Smiley

The only video i've seen of people putting their hands into the flame was similar to running it through it, much like what you could do with a normal flame.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:10 PM »

It's the Great Schema.

what do you mean by "looks fully sick"?

Sick = Good
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 02:25:27 AM »

The only video i've seen of people putting their hands into the flame was similar to running it through it, much like what you could do with a normal flame.
With one candle - yes. Try it with a bunch of 33 candles.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »

bump

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »

bump

Off topic I know but havent been able to figure out what is meant  by   bump.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 03:47:22 AM »

Bring Up My Post

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »

Thank you
Tags: Holy Fire Church of the Holy Sepulchre Pascha Jerusalem 
Pages: 1   Go Up