OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 03:13:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saved  (Read 1092 times) Average Rating: 0
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »

What does the Church think about who will be saved? Does She say only through Jesus we can be saved? I've heard a few times the statement that we don't really know who will be saved. And God may still have mercy on those who die without Christ.

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »

Here's a whole book on the topic: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/status.aspx

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Seamus

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. James

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »

Here's a whole book on the topic: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/status.aspx

Wow, thank you. I've read some of Bishop Kallistos Ware's  books; The Orthodox Way and I'm in the process of reading The Orthodox Church. This, without a doubt, will be an interesting read. I appreciate it.
God Bless†

Come, let us wonder at the virgin most pure, wondrous in herself, unique in creation, she gave birth, yet knew no man; her pure soul with wonder was filled, daily her mind gave praise in joy at the twofold wonder: her virginity preserved, her child most dear. Blessed is He who shone forth from her!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »

We don't believe in the common teaching of the Protestant "once saved always saved". Being saved in a sense, there needs to be spiritual struggle. Metropolitan Kallistos once said when asked by a Protestant if he was saved and he replied: "I was saved, I am being saved, and I pray to God that I will be saved".
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »

We don't believe in the common teaching of the Protestant "once saved always saved". Being saved in a sense, there needs to be spiritual struggle. Metropolitan Kallistos once said when asked by a Protestant if he was saved and he replied: "I was saved, I am being saved, and I pray to God that I will be saved".

To be fair, we should probably say "Calvinist" rather than Protestant. Quite a lot of Protestants do not believe in the "once saved, always saved" principle.

Love never fails.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »

The church also seems to sum this up on Last Judgement Sunday as we begin to prepare for Lent and the reading & homily of Matthew 25:31-46.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »

To be fair, we should probably say "Calvinist" rather than Protestant. Quite a lot of Protestants do not believe in the "once saved, always saved" principle.

Oh, ok. Thanks for that. I don't know much of what differences are between the Protestant denominations.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »

Oh, ok. Thanks for that. I don't know much of what differences are between the Protestant denominations.

Me neither, but I recall that Wesley taught that a human being can fall from grace. So, Methodists should actually not believe in "once saved, always saved."

Love never fails.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

Shamus;

Two small, but very helpful, books for you "Are we saved? The Orthodox Christian Process of Savation" by Barbara Pappas, and "How are we saved? The Understanding of Salvation in the Orthodox Tradition" by Bishop Kallistos Ware.

I might add that in the Orthodox Church, we as individuals are concerned with our own process of salvation, not speculating on the salvation of others.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:35:03 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags: salvation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: