OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:00:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion of problems in the Orthodox Church of America  (Read 1724 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: April 09, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »

The Orthodox Church in America (OCA) has a venerable tradition in North America and also outside of this continent.  It has produced the Saints of America.  It is the Church of Sts. Herman, Innocent and Tikhon among others.  It is the church of Metropolitan Leonty, Father Alexander Schmemen (sp) and Father John Meyendorf.  All great enlighteners and defenders of Our Faith.  Contemporary OCA priests are respected among the SCOBA jurisdictions in America.  While the 1970 Moscow Patriarchate's proclamation of autocephaly is in question by many of the Orthodox Churches, it's canonisity was never questioned.

The OCA is currently embroiled with substantial administrative deficiencies due to their failure to have addressed scandalous behavior; behavior which, probably to a lesser extent, other jurisdictions have experienced.  Yet, this does not impede their salvic mission at the parish level. The administrative problems, which will be resolved at some point, should not keep a member of the Faithful from attending an OCA parish and experiencing its sanctifying grace.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:38:13 PM by BTRAKAS » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »

Bloomington is OK. I actually live in Normal, which is just north of Bloomington if you don't know. I went to ISU for college and stayed here after I graduated. What do you want to go to ISU for, degree-wise?

I was looking at Medical Lab Technology, but I'm not solidly sure what I wish to do career-wise.]

Bloomington is OK. I actually live in Normal, which is just north of Bloomington if you don't know. I went to ISU for college and stayed here after I graduated. What do you want to go to ISU for, degree-wise?

So...no Christos Anesti? No Axion Estin? Sad

How is the OCA handling their administrative problems? Are they sweeping it under the rug as the RCC did with the priest sexual abuse?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »

How is the OCA handling their administrative problems? Are they sweeping it under the rug as the RCC did with the priest sexual abuse?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't really concern myself with that stuff though. Someone else would be better qualified to comment.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »

There are people who are not letting anything be swept under the rug. Some might even say that the people are not only checking under the rug but also under the floorboards. There was mismanagment of funds but it appears that the problem is fixed and more accountability is now in place. There are also other problems where if you went looking on this board alone, not to mention the other sites on the internet, you would find a plethora of information.

98% of this stuff has nothing to do with the average lay person who wants to go to church in Bloomington, IL.

Joseph
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

There are people who are not letting anything be swept under the rug. Some might even say that the people are not only checking under the rug but also under the floorboards. There was mismanagment of funds but it appears that the problem is fixed and more accountability is now in place. There are also other problems where if you went looking on this board alone, not to mention the other sites on the internet, you would find a plethora of information.

98% of this stuff has nothing to do with the average lay person who wants to go to church in Bloomington, IL.
I agree.  Not that the problems aren't serious or don't deserve our attention, but I simply don't let it trouble me to the point where I'm up all night.  And I belong to the OCA.  Whatever happens is providence (pruning the dying branches)- Holy Orthodoxy will never perish though.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

^ Same here.  I came in the OCA not knowing anything about the scandals and in truth I haven't really let it bother me too much.  Yes, the things that have happened are atrocious and I genuinely hope justice is served but ultimately I'm in The Church to work toward my salvation.  I believe that is still possible in an OCA parish.  (So far, at least.  Wink)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »

^ Same here.  I came in the OCA not knowing anything about the scandals and in truth I haven't really let it bother me too much.  Yes, the things that have happened are atrocious and I genuinely hope justice is served but ultimately I'm in The Church to work toward my salvation.  I believe that is still possible in an OCA parish.  (So far, at least.  Wink)

Why wouldn't it be possible? Scandals notwithstanding, everything I've ever heard from the OCA is in complete agreement with what I know to be the Orthodox faith.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »

Exactly, that's what I meant.  The scandals have not fundamentally changed the OCA so that it's not still in communion with the rest of the Church so I'm confident remaining there.  That's not to say that it couldn't get that bad, though. 

[/double negatives]

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
sassenach49

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »

There are people who are not letting anything be swept under the rug. Some might even say that the people are not only checking under the rug but also under the floorboards. There was mismanagement of funds but it appears that the problem is fixed and more accountability is now in place. There are also other problems where if you went looking on this board alone, not to mention the other sites on the internet, you would find a plethora of information.

Ironically, this stuff most certainly does have an impact on 'the average lay person who wants to go to church in Bloomington' (or Normal) Illinois. The OCA mission parish in Bloomington-Normal was shaken to its foundation in March 2007 with the suicide of Eric Iliff (SVOTS 2006), one of its founders. His family is still bitter at the criminal incompetence of the sham 'investigation' and the vicious and self-serving response toward their son from some quarters of the OCA's 'good old boys network'.

http://www.pokrov.org/display.asp?ds=Person&id=247 

and

http://orthodoxreform.org/category/cases/fr-timothy-blumentritt/

Check out www.pokrov.org for other cases (Katinas in Dallas, for example) that continue to get swept under the rug and the floorboards. Better yet, email one of the founders of Pokrov:   email removed The Orthodox jurisdictions still continue to fly under the radar, unlike the Roman Catholics who have faced withering press. The Orthodox simply do a better job covering up their dirty laundry ... at least for now. IF the lid ever gets blown off and the soft underbelly of American Orthodoxy is thoroughly exposed to the light of truth and harsh publicity that say the Catholics and Episcopalians have endured, well ... things may become ... interesting.

Most certainly check out: www.ocanews.org          for the latest updates on the orgy of self destruction in the OCA related to financial mismanagement etc. etc. etc. 

perhaps a little older, perhaps a little wiser, but definitely no longer naive ...

sass

I think you are a bit naive when it comes to the ways of the internet. Never post an email address on a web page- this exposes the email address to webcrawlers which gather email addresses for spam purposes.
George (Global Moderator)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:41:55 AM by ozgeorge » Logged
sassenach49

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »

Thank you global moderator. My apologies to my friends at www.pokrov.org 

Old sass may indeed be 'a bit naive when it comes to the ways of the internet', but is certainly not naive on the topic of problems in the Orthodox Church in America, which go far beyond the financial black hole dug out in OCYA-central, aka Syosset.

sass - also a member of S.N.A.P.  www.snapnetwork.org
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »

certainly not naive on the topic of problems in the Orthodox Church in America,

No, I would not say "naive".

One of the most important things for survivors to sexual assault to grasp -which makes them "survivors" and not "victims"- is that their abuse does not define their whole person.
Being a survivor rather than a victim means coming to terms with what happened and putting it in proper perspective:
"It was a terrible thing that happened to me which no one should ever have to go through, but I survived it, and I will not allow it to define who I am. I am so much more than 'a victim of abuse'".

Don't assume that we on OCnet are naive either. You may be surprised to know that several of the OCnet team were actually personally acquainted with Eric Iliff (God forgive and rest him).

Abusive priests are nothing new in the Orthodox Church. On June 9th, the Orthodox Church commemorates the Five Nun Martyrs of Persia: Thecla, Mariamne, Martha, Mary, and Enmatha. They were a 4th century community who were betrayed by their own Priest, Fr. Paul, and beheaded. Their hagiography records that when their Spiritual Father urged them to accept pagan sacrifices, they "all together spat upon his face".
But they remained faithful to the Church to the end. Fr. Paul was not "the Church" for them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:13:09 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: