OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:35:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just found site  (Read 3251 times) Average Rating: 0
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:54:10 AM »

Hi. I have just stumbled across this site, and am really glad to have found it. I have felt lost and alone for a long time. I became Orthodox when I was a child and attended church regularly. But with adulthood, marriage and family, we ended up being in a place where it is a minimum of 2 hours to any Orthodox church or mission of any variety or language. And of course since my husband is Methodist, he tries to understand, but ultimately he doesn't really. Perhaps if he felt as lonely as I do, we would occasionally find a place to go sometimes. But he doesn't and we don't. (by the way, I am not that fond or good at driving, so going without him just isn't an option).  

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »

Welcome!  I hope you find our site to be enjoyable and informative.  Let us know if you have any questions or need anything!  Whereabouts are you? 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »

Blairsville, Ga. Just below the N.C. state line.

EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »

Yay, another Southerner!  Ytterbiumanalyst and I are from Missouri.  Cheesy  Maybe some of our other frequent posters can point you in the direction of a church that's close by. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:12:53 AM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

Hi. I have just stumbled across this site, and am really glad to have found it. I have felt lost and alone for a long time. I became Orthodox when I was a child and attended church regularly. But with adulthood, marriage and family, we ended up being in a place where it is a minimum of 2 hours to any Orthodox church or mission of any variety or language. And of course since my husband is Methodist, he tries to understand, but ultimately he doesn't really. Perhaps if he felt as lonely as I do, we would occasionally find a place to go sometimes. But he doesn't and we don't. (by the way, I am not that fond or good at driving, so going without him just isn't an option). 

How far are you from Toccoa, Georgia and Cumming, Georgia?  I think there is an OCA parish in the first and a GOA mission in the second, and each one is listed as being 45 miles or so (of course, I don't know if that's 45 miles of 25 MPH roads, or 45 miles of 50 MPH roads...).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:21:56 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »

I actually know about those 2 churches. I have poured over the directories many times.  But in the mountains, the speed is much closer to 25 mph. It is roughly 2 hours either way.  A bit less on really good days. We are apporximately 2-3 hours from many different churches. There is a Greek Church in Knoxville, an OCA church in Oak Ridge Tn, a Greek church in Chattanooga Tn, a Greek mission in Athens GA, the one in Toccoa, the one in Cumming, and one in Alpharetta, and St. Elias's in Atlanta, and the Greek Catherdral in Atlanta. As well as (I think) two in Norcross and Marrietta. I have also heard there is a Coptic Church somewhere around Atlanta. I also know of The Monastary of the Glorious Assention, but they went their own way so to speak some time back (I'm fuzzy on the details). Actually, that is where I went as a child, back when they were a part of the OCA.  And there is also St. Mary's of Egypt down around Atlanta, but I think they joined ROCOR at the same time as the Monastary.  Anyways, they are all far enough that they are fairly unrealistic. My husband says they are all definatly too far, and I just don't drive that far alone.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »

ROCOR is with you guys now and the Monastery of the Glorious Ascension is under the Jerusalem Patriarchate now anyway.

I hope that your husband's heart will be opened to your pleas.  Perhaps in the meantime you can increase your prayer life, including typica (non-priest) versions of the services for Sundays, feasts, etc., and he will see you are more serious. I'm sorry that you are going through this.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

So, the Monastery is "OK" now? Last I had heard, roughly 10 years ago was something to the effect that they were "not OK", but that was through the grapevine. I hope it is well.

I honestly don't know anything about how to manage anything such as a typica.  In someways, it feels as though I am just finding my way back after being gone for a long time. Which in a way is very true. I have tried to convince myself that it wasn't that important, and the churches around here were good enough. But I had finally decided this past winter that I am NOT Protestant, and I can't and won't pretend to myself or anyone else otherwise any longer.

My husband is a good man, and tries really hard to understand, but he just doesn't get it. He doesn't understand how I can feel as though I am a part of a somewhat different culture and don't quite fit in, even though I grew up here. He and his family has always been Methodist. My family has never been Protestant. My parents were Catholic before we found Orthodoxy. In someways, I guess I am just like him in reverse. I really never have been able to understant the Protestant point of view.  But anyways, he just might come around to going somewhere once in while. I think he hasn't accepted that I am going to stick to not being Methodist, and hopes that I will give in and go back to going to church with him. 

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

Typica is actually rather easy to do and takes 20 minutes if you don't chant everything in an elaborate way (which I wouldn't assume you would be able to based on what you said).

The text appears online and I am sure someone can find it. If it is confusing I can edit it down to the "essentials" for you.

We will help you in any way we can to feel more connected to the Church.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »

Here is a link to the text for Typica: http://www.saintjonah.org/services/typica.htm

This comes from Fr. John Whiteford's page: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.htm which also has all the variable parts for Typica as well for every Sunday here: http://www.saintjonah.org/typ/  The website also includes Vespers and Matins, as well as some other very good resources. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:00:06 PM by drewmeister2 » Logged

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:57:23 AM »

Thanks for the info! I did find the text for the Typica. Never knew it existed. Just talking this morning has helped a lot!   Smiley

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

Here is a link to the text for Typica: http://www.saintjonah.org/services/typica.htm

This comes from Fr. John Whiteford's page: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.htm which also has all the variable parts for Typica as well for every Sunday.  The website also includes Vespers and Matins, as well as some other very good resources. 

Here are the daily scripture readings: http://www.oca.org/Reading.asp?SID=25&ID=EP&M=4&D=8

Here is a selection of saint readings: http://www.westsrbdio.org/prolog/my.html?month=April&day=8

Please Buy My Book!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »

This comes from Fr. John Whiteford's page: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/horologion.htm which also has all the variable parts for Typica as well for every Sunday.  The website also includes Vespers and Matins, as well as some other very good resources. 

Here are the daily scripture readings: http://www.oca.org/Reading.asp?SID=25&ID=EP&M=4&D=8

Here is a selection of saint readings: http://www.westsrbdio.org/prolog/my.html?month=April&day=8 

Make sure you post these links in one of the Links threads (I think they're in "Other Topics" Board)... Great resources.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:59:36 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »

Modern technology really can be a great thing! With it, one is never truely alone , once you figure out how to find each other.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »

Welcome to the forum RLNM! Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »

Modern technology really can be a great thing! With it, one is never truely alone , once you figure out how to find each other.

I can hardly wait until the current excitement over this faddish, flash in the pan 'Internet' goes away, so I can go back to my trusty clay tablets and cuneiform!  Wink

Welcome to the site, RLNM! We're actually not too far from each other, so feel free to contact me if you have any questions about where to go, etc. Can you make a trip to a parish of your choice once a month or so? It's better than nothing!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:05 PM »

If you need the basic prayer book of the church it is online here: http://www.orthodoxyork.org/resources.html

Antiochian OC N.A.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 01:41:57 PM »

Can you make a trip to a parish of your choice once a month or so? It's better than nothing! 

Indeed.  Great idea.

---------------------
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »

As I said, I don't drive that far, so it truely must be a "we" commitment. But, as I said, he does try. I did discover that Mapquest suggested an alternate route to Toccoa from the one we are most familiar with, and it is not as far as I thought. Though being well over an hour, it is far beyond his concept of sensible. But, since I always traveled 45 min as a child, it is not so unreasonable to me. All depends on perspective.  I can always work on him. But, it takes time to husband wrangle.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »

As I said, I don't drive that far, so it truely must be a "we" commitment. But, as I said, he does try. I did discover that Mapquest suggested an alternate route to Toccoa from the one we are most familiar with, and it is not as far as I thought. Though being well over an hour, it is far beyond his concept of sensible. But, since I always traveled 45 min as a child, it is not so unreasonable to me. All depends on perspective.  I can always work on him. But, it takes time to husband wrangle.

Sometimes you can try to bargain.  Find something he likes in the town you want to go, and make a day of it: Church followed by his favorite activity.

Please Buy My Book!

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »

That has worked once in the past, so it may work again. But I do think it is also time for a discussion on the importance of tolerance, acceptence, and cooperation in a mixed denomination family.

FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »

^^Well, as far as 'husband wrangling', have you considered trying to combine the trip to a different town with another domestic task, such as going shopping or visiting a park or checking out a restaurant you two always wanted to go to?

Not to interfere, but we also have parishioners here who'll drive 60 miles or so to attend the Liturgy (and one family has done this every Sunday for over 30 years). The key for them was to plan on more than 'just going to Church'. The non-religious family members would start to see 'something in it for them', and before you knew it everybody started looking forward to Sunday because it truly was a family day.

And, more than once, it worked out that the non-religious family members would actually start to more actively work on their salvation due to going to Church fairly regularly.

(Edit)

Whoops! Looks like Anastasios said the same thing! Sorry---but I guess it also shows how this works for more than 1 family also.

And, you are right too about the tolerance thing in a mixed family.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:12:53 PM by FrChris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »

Just to be fair to my husband, he is not Non-religious. He is just not Orthodox, he is Methodist. He has a better track record for Sunday attendance than I do.  I am thinking along the lines of "I go with you, to show that I accept your choice, and you go with me to show you accept me."

Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

Check here

http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »

I made search for your city Blairsville, GA   http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »

Welcome to the group RLNM.  I'm also Orthodox without my spouse.  I'm not sure exactly the protocol for adding links but another resource for Orthodox music, readings, and teachings is www.ancientfaithradio.com.  On Sunday mornings (10ish) they have a DL and I think its streamed live - haven't had a sick kid in a while so I can't remember. 

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »

Hi. It is good to be reminded that there are many mixed denomination families. I like the idea of a streaming service. I found one on the Orthodox Christian Network, but I haven't figured out how to make it work (yet). I will look at the site you mentioned to see what I can figure out.  As far as that goes, I'll get something figured out, I'm pretty fair with a computer.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »

Welcome RLNM!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:19:06 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  Maybe the priest at the nearest Orthodox parish might know of a family or person(s) that travel from you general area to that parish.  It's always worth seeing if you could catch a ride with someone!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:56:16 PM by username! » Logged

RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 07:07:21 AM »

Great News! My husband was very willing and receptive to the idea of going to church with me! I really should have given him more credit all along. With a practical eye to the cost of gasoline, we are going to opt for the closest church, which is the mission in Toccoa. We also agreed that we will have to work out over time just how often works for us.  Grin

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »

Great news! We have several members of our parish who drive many miles to church, and they are very much a part of our community. I'm sure it will be the same for you at Toccoa.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »

Great News! My husband was very willing and receptive to the idea of going to church with me! I really should have given him more credit all along. With a practical eye to the cost of gasoline, we are going to opt for the closest church, which is the mission in Toccoa. We also agreed that we will have to work out over time just how often works for us.  Grin

That's great news.  I hope your journeys (both the physical and spiritual kind) are uplifting and safe!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:42:17 AM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »

Excellent news!

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

It is always the best thing to belong to the parish nearest your home.  Sadly, it doesn't seemed to be practiced widespread in the USA.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:41:49 PM by username! » Logged

Tags: no church around 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: