OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:38:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking A New Name  (Read 28692 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2013, 07:14:12 AM »

There are 40 virgin-martyrs commemorated on September 1. Most of them have "ancient" names, such as Melpomeni, Antigone, Aphrodite, Euterpe, Cleopatra, etc. Aside from this group, there is a multitude of saints, male and female, who are known by their ancient names.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »

My parents gave me a Christian middle name, despite not raising me in any Christian tradition. When it came time for me to "choose" my Christian name, I was relieved that the choice had already been made for me. Smiley Finally, after all these years, I know now why I carry that name with me...

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Shamati

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Protestant, possible convert

« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »

I have 3 names and all of them are name of saints as I've recently found out. Should I choose freely 1 of the 3 to venerate and on which feast day to celebrate? 1 name is Per, which apparently is an adaption of St. Petros into ancient nordic language which I wasnt aware of before Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:39:48 AM by Shamati » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »

Shamati, where do you live? Maybe we can understand each other.  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2013, 01:30:40 AM »

I will most certainly discuss with my Priest....so am not looking for a hard and fast 'rule', rather more opinions and thoughts...

As is probably apparent my first name is the female version of 'pick a Dionysus, any Dionysus'...and there is one small mention of an actual Denise on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter,_Andrew,_Paul,_and_Denise

My middle name is also appropriate, and perhaps a bit easier to find things to identify with as there are enough Mary/Maria's.

Is there something wrong with still being baptized with my actual first name, realizing its rare and/or male (and i wont have much to identify with) and then -also- have a special fondness/relationship with a Mary/Maria?

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2013, 01:38:06 AM »

I will most certainly discuss with my Priest....so am not looking for a hard and fast 'rule', rather more opinions and thoughts...

As is probably apparent my first name is the female version of 'pick a Dionysus, any Dionysus'...and there is one small mention of an actual Denise on Wikipedia

My middle name is also appropriate, and perhaps a bit easier to find things to identify with as there are enough Mary/Maria's.

Is there something wrong with still being baptized with my actual first name, realizing its rare and/or male (and i wont have much to identify with) and then -also- have a special fondness/relationship with a Mary/Maria?

For a baptism name, Dionysia Maria would work.   Smiley
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2013, 01:39:03 AM »

There is more than one Saint Dionysia who could serve as your patron.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »

For a baptism name, Dionysia Maria would work.   Smiley

Only if the priest is prepared to baptize someone in two names. I know that among the thirty-odd Orthodox priests in the city where I live, representing every Orthodox nation/culture, the ones who would do so are practically non-existent.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2013, 01:47:09 AM »

My wife was not baptized with two names, but the priest that usually communed her used two names when doing the "Servant of God N. partakes of..." thing. Not sure when or where the line would be drawn when it comes to such things.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

Do you happen to have sources or a reference for them? 

*makes a pretty please face*
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »

Do you happen to have sources or a reference for them?  

*makes a pretty please face*

There's a Martyr Dionysia, feastday December 6. At present, I have no further information on her.  Sad
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:41:46 PM by LBK » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »

I suspect that would be this one..

Born to the nobility. Widow. Sister of Saint Dativa. Mother of Saint Majoricus the Martyr. Martyred during the persecutions of the Arian Vandal king Huneric. A witness records that as she was being scourged, she called to her son not to lose his faith.

which I have only seen referenced in Catholic sources, despite her being martyred in 484.  I have seen the 'The Martyrs of Africa, who suffered during the Vandal persecution (429 and following)'  but never her by name.

I obviously need a better book of saints. Wink

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »

I suspect that would be this one..

Born to the nobility. Widow. Sister of Saint Dativa. Mother of Saint Majoricus the Martyr. Martyred during the persecutions of the Arian Vandal king Huneric. A witness records that as she was being scourged, she called to her son not to lose his faith.

which I have only seen referenced in Catholic sources, despite her being martyred in 484.  I have seen the 'The Martyrs of Africa, who suffered during the Vandal persecution (429 and following)'  but never her by name.

I obviously need a better book of saints. Wink

There is no such thing, I'm afraid. I have at my disposal church calendars from several Orthodox traditions, and several synaxaria (lists of saints, with a short summary of their lives), and it's still little more than a drop in the bucket. The sheer multitude of named saints would require a large bookcase to even begin to house the volumes which would document them.
Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I believe we youths are using anime pictures now

« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »

Speaking of baptism names and saints, does anyone know of an Orthodox Saint Laurence/Lawrence or Lauren besides Laurence of Canterbury, Laurence of Rome, or Lawrence of Kaluga? 

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

Speaking of baptism names and saints, does anyone know of an Orthodox Saint Laurence/Lawrence or Lauren besides Laurence of Canterbury, Laurence of Rome, or Lawrence of Kaluga? 

St. Lavrentiy of Chernigov
Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I believe we youths are using anime pictures now

« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »

St. Lavrentiy of Chernigov

Thanks!

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anybody know when Abba Joseph of Panephysis's feast is? I've been patron-shopping over the last few weeks, and I like one of his sayings that was quoted in our bulletin and around the web and in a mewithoutYou song, but I can't find anything beyond it. I suppose there are a few other Josephs, but I'm rather curious about this one.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Paul

Faith: Searching

St Paul the Simple, Pray for me.

« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »

My first name is not at all a Christian name, but at my Baptism I was given the name "Paul". I thought this meant that my Patron Saint was St Paul the Apostle, but I had no connection to him whatsoever, not out of disrespect or a lack of admiration, but because I just didn't feel that he was the Saint God intended to be my patron. So I looked at other possible St Pauls and discovered St Paul the Simple, a Monk and Disciple of St Anthony the Great. After reading his Story, I felt an instant connection with him and felt that he was definitely someone that I could aspire to be like; His simplicity, his humility, his obedience (all of which I lack) and also his wife Cheated on him, and when he walked in and discovered the affair, he laughed it off and let it go. Anybody who knows me will know I have an intense fear of being cheated on and when it appeared to happen to me before, I took it very badly and just wished that I wasn't so affected by it. So St Paul seems to definitely have chosen me and I thank God for this!
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2014, 12:43:25 AM »

Does anyone know of any saints named Joseph? I know of Ss. Joseph the Betrothed, Joseph of Arimathea, and Joseph the Hymnographer. Any others? Also, could I take a new name?

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:43 AM »

Does anyone know of any saints named Joseph? I know of Ss. Joseph the Betrothed, Joseph of Arimathea, and Joseph the Hymnographer. Any others? Also, could I take a new name?

http://oca.org/saints/lives?q=joseph

Just a quick check has quite a few other Joseph's.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2014, 01:05:51 AM »

Most priests will advise taking a new name only if there is no Orthodox saint with your birth name.

There are dozens of saints called Joseph. Here are just a few:

Joseph the All-Comely (the youngest of the sons of Jacob); Apostle Joseph Bar-Sabbas of the Seventy; Joseph of Volotsk; Joseph of Optina; Joseph, Bishop of Thessaloniki; Joseph, Patriarch of Constantinople.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »

The intercessions of these two are needed in the current political situation:
St Joseph of Aleppo
St Joseph of Damascus
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

Most priests will advise taking a new name only if there is no Orthodox saint with your birth name.

This.   I would have to -convince- Father that there was some pressing reason for me not to just take on a Dionysius (there are a few) as my name, because my name derives from it.

The notion that people need to take on a wild and crazy sounding new name to signal some internal change...is flawed for folks who HAVE a saint's name...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »

This.   I would have to -convince- Father that there was some pressing reason for me not to just take on a Dionysius (there are a few) as my name, because my name derives from it.

The notion that people need to take on a wild and crazy sounding new name to signal some internal change...is flawed for folks who HAVE a saint's name...

Taking a Saint's name in itself makes no sense unless your name is Ihatejesuschrist.

This is a tradition.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »

Taking a Saint's name in itself makes no sense unless your name is Ihatejesuschrist.

This is a tradition.

Fine.

within the tradition established that adult converts take on a Saint's name, chosing a new name if one already has the name of a Saint as one's legal birth name, is generally avoided.

Thus John does not decide to become Parthenius because that sounds 'cooler' than the name he was graced with at birth, and would somehow make one seem more pious or whatever other motivation.....

However, there is nothing -wrong- with traditions that make no logical sense, as long as they do not become the focus of Faith or Belief.

Better now?  Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »

Just saw this was Convert Issues.

Sorry Thomas.

Please no one quote my unedited post.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:59:39 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »

Joseph the All-Comely (the youngest of the sons of Jacob); Apostle Joseph Bar-Sabbas of the Seventy; Joseph of Volotsk; Joseph of Optina; Joseph, Bishop of Thessaloniki; Joseph, Patriarch of Constantinople.

My legal name is a well known saint, but my Greek Orthodox priest recommended that I take another name.
So, at his recommendation, Maria became my "chalice'" name.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2014, 12:09:17 AM »

Thanks everyone. I will read up on these saints.

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »

The problem these days is that Saint's names have been on the decline in America for a long time, either made up names or non-Christian ones have become popular. When I worked in Family Court we used to have a monthly list of the strangest names. A little girl named 'Tasmanian Devil' was the all time winner - or loser if you think about it.

I agree with the idea that if you carry the name of a Saint and that Saint's name has been part of your family that it is wrong to take on a 'more Orthodox' sounding name. That is the path to excessive externalism and it is one with a lot of dangers. (Not all succumb, I know that, I am giving my opinion and I am generalizing.)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »

Nicholas or Mary, take your pick.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »

My legal name is a well known saint, but my Greek Orthodox priest recommended that I take another name.
So, at his recommendation, Maria became my "chalice'" name.

This stuff smacks of gnosticism. And I don't use that word all over the place like some here.

EDIT: Thomas: if this inappropriate for Convert Issues, I apologize and feel free to nuke it. I try to be on my best behavior here. I am not sure exactly to what degree disagreement is allowed in Covert Issues, especially when posts veer toward the unChristian.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:36:10 PM by orthonorm » Logged

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »

The problem these days is that Saint's names have been on the decline in America for a long time, either made up names or non-Christian ones have become popular. When I worked in Family Court we used to have a monthly list of the strangest names. A little girl named 'Tasmanian Devil' was the all time winner - or loser if you think about it.

I agree with the idea that if you carry the name of a Saint and that Saint's name has been part of your family that it is wrong to take on a 'more Orthodox' sounding name. That is the path to excessive externalism and it is one with a lot of dangers. (Not all succumb, I know that, I am giving my opinion and I am generalizing.)

I 'lucked out' by semi random, in that my name was not intended as a Christian or Saints name...yet it qualifies. My middle name would also qualify.

Of course the whole thing really was my father pulling a fast one on my mother.....by rejecting all her naming choices for me, and somehow 'adoring' the feminine version of his own name.   laugh

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »

My name is the feminine form of a male saint's name, so I wonder if that would work.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:14 PM »

My name is the feminine form of a male saint's name, so I wonder if that would work.

That's what mine is...

and someone baptized in my parish recently also used a feminine form of a male saint.....

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »

That's what mine is...

and someone baptized in my parish recently also used a feminine form of a male saint.....

Perfectly acceptable (and extremely common) in Greek tradition, less so in Russian, where one's patron saint "should" be the same sex as yours.
Ersaia
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »

well the best thing I hear from a priest about accepting ancient greek non christian names is something like "you never know if this person with the non christian name become a saint in his/her life"
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:23 PM »

I have a question. St. Ignatius of Antioch was the first saint I encountered on my journey to the Orthodox Church. I read all his letters and even though I disagreed with some things, it really shed a new light on how I viewed the early Church. His passion for Christ reminded me so much of St. Paul. He had a really big impact on me. Would it be ok if I chose him as my patron saint? I know I should ask a priest this.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2014, 11:22:26 PM »

I have a question. St. Ignatius of Antioch was the first saint I encountered on my journey to the Orthodox Church. I read all his letters and even though I disagreed with some things, it really shed a new light on how I viewed the early Church. His passion for Christ reminded me so much of St. Paul. He had a really big impact on me. Would it be ok if I chose him as my patron saint? I know I should ask a priest this.
He's a Saint of the Church.  So, it's ok.  Smiley  Talk to your priest when the time comes.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2014, 11:39:28 PM »

St. Ignatius and St. Paul are my favorites as well. Neither, alas, are the male version of my given name.  Wink

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2014, 11:40:18 PM »

He's a Saint of the Church.  So, it's ok.  Smiley  Talk to your priest when the time comes.

Thanks.  Smiley

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

St. Ignatius and St. Paul are my favorites as well. Neither, alas, are the male version of my given name.  Wink

What?  You didn't want to change your legal name to Ignacia or Paula/Paulina?  It would've been cool*!

*Not really, just very hyperdox.

Keelin

Faith: Christian - Inquirer

« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2014, 02:27:19 AM »

I'm not saying I am converting, but theoretically if I were to, my name is a bit problematic.

My evangelical family gave me a pagan name, Keenan. It's traditional in my family, but still.  Cry Then on the eve of my baptism in the R. Catholic Church I was undergoing a major spiritual crisis. The few days before my baptism I was all over the place in terms of temptation and had huge waves of apathy towards being baptized. Thanks and praise to God I stuck with it, but I grabbed any name I could think of for my baptismal name and ended up with Ignatius of Antioch.

I've only read a few of his writings. I don't know how I feel about it. I wouldn't change my first name out of respect for my parents, just as I would feel disrespectful to Ignatius of Antioch's memory if I were to ever hide or change it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:27:37 AM by Keelin » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2014, 02:33:19 AM »

I'm not saying I am converting, but theoretically if I were to, my name is a bit problematic.

My evangelical family gave me a pagan name, Keenan. It's traditional in my family, but still.  Cry Then on the eve of my baptism in the R. Catholic Church I was undergoing a major spiritual crisis. The few days before my baptism I was all over the place in terms of temptation and had huge waves of apathy towards being baptized. Thanks and praise to God I stuck with it, but I grabbed any name I could think of for my baptismal name and ended up with Ignatius of Antioch.

I've only read a few of his writings. I don't know how I feel about it. I wouldn't change my first name out of respect for my parents, just as I would feel disrespectful to Ignatius of Antioch's memory if I were to ever hide or change it.

If you were to convert to Orthodoxy, I can't see any problem in you keeping the name Ignatius as your "church name" and your patron saint.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:34:02 AM by LBK » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »

Indeed. We have multiple people at my parish where this is the case.
Keelin

Faith: Christian - Inquirer

« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2014, 02:45:38 AM »

Good to know. He really is an amazing saint. I'm going to thoroughly study his letters.
Tags: Names Christian name 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: