Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 4675937 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #26505 on: Today at 02:41:37 PM »
Now at an acronym Coptic Church near you!  ;D

I'll mention it to ICXC when I speak with him.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #26506 on: Today at 02:50:05 PM »
I had some business at a resin-producing plant yesterday, and 24-hours after breathing the production fumes of whatever it is they're manufacturing out of rosin, I'm still itchy.

This should help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina (one of my favorite wines)
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #26507 on: Today at 03:31:04 PM »
My mother bought bone marrow jelly (which I probably hadn't eaten for years) on the first day of Cheesefare  Lord have mercy!

Just do Lent next year.
It's specially hard to do Lent any year when your local cuisine is all about churrasco.
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Online Asteriktos

• troglodyticus
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26508 on: Today at 04:24:13 PM »
Pope Francis proves he's just the absolute best, once again!  :police:
"you will abandon these carnal and grovelling doctrines, and learn to be more sublime" - St. Gregory the Theologian

"bloggers go where real theologians fear to tread" - Fr. Aidan Kimel

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26509 on: Today at 05:27:36 PM »

What has he done this time?
Just grab them by prayer.

Mor has spoken through George... this is the faith of the fathers!

The Church's bridegroom was never the Byzantine Empire.

Online Asteriktos

• troglodyticus
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26510 on: Today at 05:34:25 PM »

What has he done this time?

The media are falling all over themselves reporting how he supposedly said it's better to be an atheist than to lead a double life and be a hypocritical Catholic. From what I can tell he didn't say that, exactly, but rather said that it's common to hear other people saying that, with the implication of the Pope being that, considering the sinful way some self-professed Catholics act, it's hard to blame people for having such a low opinion of Catholics/Catholicism.

EDIT--Here's how one paper reported it: He said some of these people should also say "'my life is not Christian, I don't pay my employees proper salaries, I exploit people, I do dirty business, I launder money, [I lead] a double life'." "There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal," he said. "How many times have we all heard people say 'if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist'."

And CNN reported it this way: If you're a Christian who exploits people, leads a double life or manages a "dirty" business, perhaps it's better not to call yourself a believer, Pope Francis suggested in a homily on Thursday in Rome. "So many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others," Francis said during morning Mass at Casa Santa Marta, according to Vatican Radio. "How many times have we heard -- all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere -- 'But to be a Catholic like that, it's better to be an atheist.' It is that: scandal."

The paper ran with the headline: "Pope Francis: It is 'better to be an atheist than hypocritical Catholic'"   and  CNN had: "Pope suggests it's better to be an atheist than a bad Christian"
« Last Edit: Today at 05:43:07 PM by Asteriktos »
"you will abandon these carnal and grovelling doctrines, and learn to be more sublime" - St. Gregory the Theologian

"bloggers go where real theologians fear to tread" - Fr. Aidan Kimel