Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5906999 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
  • Faith: Christian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27675 on: November 10, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
I still like beer.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil. Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Horses are animals." - Gebre Menfes Kidus

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27676 on: November 11, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
I cannot make apostrophe with my wireless keyboard. It is not a problem in Finnish as it is used only in very few instances but it certainly makes English quite complicated. It feels silly write some words without clipping.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:59:15 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27677 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Could xOrthodox4Christx, Rob, nothing, or shiny explain what the deal is with your signatures? ???  :angel:

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27678 on: November 11, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
Could xOrthodox4Christx, Rob, nothing, or shiny explain what the deal is with your signatures? ???  :angel:
I cribbed it from O4C, as a display of solidarity.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27679 on: November 11, 2017, 02:08:09 PM »
Well ok then  8)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27680 on: November 11, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »
So today I donated blood with a large group, one of my friends' friend is a Shiite Muslim and the sheikh went with us to donate too, in tunic, turban and cape. It was the first time I ever felt safe downtown Rio, we got some ugly looks, but no one approached and neither did I expect one to lol

Very nice guys, these Shiites. One of them informed me some of the last malês (Muslim Africans who were brought enslaved to Brazil in the early XIX century and their descendants) are still alive, and he did meet some! I was always curious about their (as I supposed) total disappearance, but it seems they're just small, aged and discreet.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #27681 on: November 12, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
Turban is the coolest headgear ever. Period.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27682 on: November 12, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »
"Good" bread is terrible for making grilled cheese sandwiches.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #27683 on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:11 AM »
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be drinking beer

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27684 on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »
Testing, testing, 1, 2... . . 3?

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #27685 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
Yes, what happened?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27686 on: November 15, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
I hate that ialmisry either mispelled certain words or used different renderings, it makes searching for his old posts impossible. :P

I was trying to find his post about the Gospel according to St. Mark and the way it's structured mirrors Holy Week.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:09:10 AM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27687 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
A guy I grew up with is part of a Grammy-winning band currently doing a national tour. It's really strange to me that a kid I jammed with a few times is now playing packed venues in major cities, because I don't think of him primarily as a musician, but as the guy doing backflips in the jumpy house for his cousin's birthday party at his grandpa's house.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #27688 on: November 16, 2017, 02:17:36 PM »
Saw a sign at a liquor store this morning "stop in today to renew your Gin membership"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27689 on: November 16, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
Saw a sign at a liquor store this morning "stop in today to renew your Gin membership"

I need to sign up for one of those...
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #27690 on: November 16, 2017, 03:03:56 PM »

I need to sign up for one of those...

If you ever apostasized to Islam you could alternatively sign up for a D'jinn membership.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27691 on: November 16, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »
No.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27692 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
No.

Indeed.  That said, I myself am not a gin afficianado.  Sherry wine is more my sort of drink.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #27693 on: November 21, 2017, 04:25:13 AM »
Liturgy of the Entrance of the Theotokos feast at the unique Orthodox parish in Warsaw that has maintaned fully (I mean not only for Nativity or Epiphany) calendar. 1/3 of the people that came were from my parish... Despite the fact that this parish with full new calendar one is very specific, with all Polish in the services (our standard is Church Slavonic) - if it was in Church Slavonic and a bit more reminding our parish (or any typical Polish Orthodox parish) I'd say today's frequention of our parishioners could be much more higher....
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27694 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:22 AM »
Liturgy of the Entrance of the Theotokos feast at the unique Orthodox parish in Warsaw that has maintaned fully (I mean not only for Nativity or Epiphany) calendar. 1/3 of the people that came were from my parish... Despite the fact that this parish with full new calendar one is very specific, with all Polish in the services (our standard is Church Slavonic) - if it was in Church Slavonic and a bit more reminding our parish (or any typical Polish Orthodox parish) I'd say today's frequention of our parishioners could be much more higher....

Which parish is this?  Are you saying its a parish only used for special feasts like these, or that it is the only Orthodox parish in Warsaw used throughout the year?  Or that its unique in that its a dedicated Polish language parish?

Either way it sounds like a lovely service, even though it would be hypothetically lovelier in Church Slavonic.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27695 on: November 21, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »

Which parish is this?  Are you saying its a parish only used for special feasts like these, or that it is the only Orthodox parish in Warsaw used throughout the year?  Or that its unique in that its a dedicated Polish language parish?

Either way it sounds like a lovely service, even though it would be hypothetically lovelier in Church Slavonic.

No no no. There are 8 Orthodox parishes in Warsaw (plus metropolitan chapel, however I'm not sure if there are regular services; ), 3 of them having their own separate buluding (well, one is in construction), teh rest is loacetd in th bulduing that have also other functions. Rhere are also 2 parishes beyond Warsaw, but in quite close area. Anyway, 3 years ago the metropolitan forced the calendar change to the old one, he allowed to the metropolitan cathedral, my parish and one of these 2 parishs in area close to Warsaw to have some additional services accoridng to the new calendar. Only one parish in Warsaw, that's the qunie using Polish as the liturgical language, is allowed to keep the new calendar. That's a very specific parish in the Polish Orthodox Church (and even if you compare it with other parishes using Polish as a liturgical language), I got used to it 1 year ago, eraleir I'd been going there reluctantly. Still, many active parishioners from my parish, icnluding me, have problems to acept the current situation. So, still, at new calendar Chrsitmas services the church is packed, while on these oens accoridng to the old calendar not so, plus there come people that appear at our parish 1-2 a year, and they're not Polish.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #27696 on: Yesterday at 11:38:53 AM »
I caught my six-year-old daughter randomly singing "Away in a Manger" to The Melody of Kievan stichera Tone VI

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27697 on: Yesterday at 11:59:37 AM »
I caught my six-year-old daughter randomly singing "Away in a Manger" to The Melody of Kievan stichera Tone VI

LOL.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27698 on: Yesterday at 12:54:58 PM »

LOL.
+1