OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 01:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy in Georgian and/or Japanese?  (Read 2342 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: July 05, 2003, 11:20:05 PM »

Anyone know a source to acquire a cd or tape for the divine liturgy or other Orthodox service in Georgian(slavic, not southern) and/or Japanese?  

Muchias Gracias amigos!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 12:18:11 PM »

St. Vladimir's Bookstore used to carry a 33rpm record entitled, "Liturgical Music of the Japanese Orthodox Church."  I used to have it, but my entire liturgical music record collection (more than 30 years of collecting, and, yes, I had Georgian too!) was lost when my house was sold.  Angry Sad  I did put some of the Japanese liturgical music on an audio cassette tape (which I still have), but it wasn't big enough to record everything on the 33rpm record.

Hypo-Ortho
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:59:14 AM »

Anyone know a source to acquire a cd or tape for the divine liturgy or other Orthodox service in Georgian(slavic, not southern) and/or Japanese?  

Muchias Gracias amigos!

David,

1) Muchas not muchias.

2) Georgian is not a Slavic language nor are the Georgians Slavs.  

3) I have a SVS Press cassette recording of Japanese liturgy and liturgical music, some of it is in Japanese and some in Slavonic.  If you are interested I can copy it for you.  

Tony

PS:  This may be interesting "Georgian is a member of South Caucasian (or Kartvelian) branch of the Caucasian language family which is spoken in the area between the Black and Caspian Seas. It is not demonstrably related to any other language family. There are other subdivisions of the Caucasian family, but the exact division and their membership is debated by researchers. The term "Georgian" is sometimes used as a cover term for all South Caucasian languages. Some scholars maintain that Basque, a language whose affiliation is often hotly debated, is related to Caucasian languages (Ruhlen 1987). Georgian is the most widely spoken Caucasian language."  From http://www.lmp.ucla.edu/profiles/profg01.htm
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 11:01:12 AM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 11:13:46 AM »

Thanks for this information and link, TonyS. My ancestral background includes not only Pontic Greek, but Laz. Lazuri is a related Caucasian language and the "native " language of my paternal grandfather.
FWIW, not all Laz converted to Islam, internet sources to the contrary. In fact most of my "pontic" relatives in Greece today are Laz. Apparently when the infamous "population exchange" occurred, the Turks just wanted the Christians out- no matter what their ethnic heritage might have been. Today most Christian Laz are lumped with the Pontic Greeks, but we do know who and what we really are!

Demetri
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 02:11:11 PM by Aristocles » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 11:25:12 AM »

Demetri,

I'm glad you found it useful.  What does FWTW mean?

Tony

Corrected typo...when will I learn to type?!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 01:38:01 PM by TonyS » Logged

I'll see you when yo
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 12:51:36 PM »

Demetri,

I'm glad you found it useful.  What does FWTH mean?

Tony

Maybe he meant FWIW (for what it's worth)?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 02:16:00 PM »

Maybe he meant FWIW (for what it's worth)?

Oops...One would think that 30 years of pounding these keyboards would teach one to type... Cheesy
I don't sing any better in church either, as my psalti just informed me. Been trying to that for about 30 years too.
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 02:35:54 PM »

I have some CDs of Georgian and Japanese liturgical music.  I managed to get a copy of the above mentioned Music of Japanese Orthodox Church on record about two years ago.  It had never been opened and was in pristine condition.  I hooked my record player into my computer and then burned the MP3s onto disc for myself.  Sounds just like a CD (for the most part.)  This, I would me more than happy to copy for anyone since they don't make it anymore.

The Georgian stuff, however, is still in print, so I will gladly provide links where you can purchase it (when I can find them!)

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »

Nicodemus,

If you can email me the mp3s, I can make them available online since they are out of print.  Perhaps Dismas would also like to host them on his site.
My email for large attachements is dave@taoofdave.com.

Thanks!

-Yazid Ibrahim
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 05:15:46 PM »

Nicodemus,

If you can email me the mp3s, I can make them available online since they are out of print.  Perhaps Dismas would also like to host them on his site.
My email for large attachements is dave@taoofdave.com.

Thanks!

I will see what I can do.  A buddy of mine hooks me up with all the technical stuff as I don't have a computer at home and my work place doesn't have that technology on the computers.  I will see what he can do though!  At the very least, I could mail you a copy of the CD.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 01:08:18 AM »

Well, I would very much appreciate that.  I will send you a PM with my address.  Thanks again!

-Yazid Ibrahim
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 07:32:35 PM »

David,

I have the cassette version of the SVS recording...contact me privately if you are interested.

Tony

I'll see you when yo
Dismas

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 04:11:24 PM »

Let me know how I can help. I will be glad to provide the digi-space for any orthodox chant.

Let me know,

Peace
Dismas

Peace,
Dismas
input--->process--->output
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: