OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:25:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon Corners  (Read 3839 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: July 04, 2003, 08:29:03 PM »

I think it would be intersting to see pictures of everybody's icon corners.  This picture is the far awhile but gets everything kind of shot, here are some close ups http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/nektarios14/lst?.dir=/Icons&.src=ph&.view=  

Most of the icons are homemade...I printed them off from the computer and mounted them on cardboard.  I'm curious what you all think of it.

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 10:39:46 PM »

Very nice!

Here is mine.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 10:52:52 PM »

Nektarios -

Very nice. Did you say you made those icons? They look splendid!

Serge -

Excellent. But I should have known to turn the volume down on my computer before clicking on your link. My kid is trying to sleep!

I had to close the page before your bells could wake her!  Grin

I have an icon corner but no pics available to put online. It is not as complete as I would like, but the wife complains that I spend too much on icons and books.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 12:37:51 AM »

Thanks, you have a nice icon corner yourself, Serge.

I should clarify which icons I made from computer printouts.  Here on the ones NOT made by me: The three attached to the particle board, the ones of Saint John the Baptist and Saint Nektarios on the west wall, and the icon of the Theotokos that isn't framed on the east wall.  The one on the west wall is intersting as it has Christ in the center and vines going out to a mini icon of all the patrons(esses) of the 18 monasteries under Elder Ephraim in NA.  The one of Elder Joseph was taken with a digital camera and printed off.  On the east wall the ones of Saints Nikolaj Velmiroc, Herman of Alaska, Justin Popovich, Anthony the Great, John of SF, Mary of Egypy, the Myrrh bearers, Dimitrios the martyr, the Theotokos of Jasna Gora, Vincent of Lerins and the framed Theotokos (name escapes me, but its from Athos - a friend took a picture of it and this is it) are all printouts that I mounted/framed.  So if you have the printer it's pretty cheap to make a nice icon corner.  

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 10:15:41 AM »

Wonderful thread !

Today's project just happens to be - Organize the icon room !

While we had an icon corner in it, the room has become a catch all and is quite cluttered.  To top it off, the cat managed to scatter icons, incense, ashes, candles, broken glass everywhere the other day when he jumped up on our home altar Sad

When we are done, if I can get a jpg, I will post it.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 10:59:06 AM »

Oblio, just curious, how come you have incense at home?
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 12:23:03 PM »

Jonathan, I know that you addressed this to Oblio, but if you noticed Serge's reply, he has a censer for incense at his icon corner too.  This is quite common to use at icon corners in Eastern Orthodox homes, the "home church," if you will.

My censer is hand-held, and I make the sign of the Cross with it after placing a few grains of fragrant incense over burning charcoal in it.  It is customary in some families, especially on Great Feasts, to cense all the icons in the house, all present, and each room with the hand-held censer after censing the icons at one's icon corner and beginning prayers there.

Hypo-Ortho
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 04:10:04 PM »

Thanks for starting this topic.
For the last couple of years I have been searching for what I call an "icon box" or "icon station". Both of my grandmothers had these as did my mother (before my sisters got them all), but I've been unsuccessful in finding a new one for our home. Essentially, it's an enclosed case to display one's icons - there is room for several- with an outer "kandili" or oil-fired candle hanging in  the center outside the glass enclosure. I recall my grandmothers both devoutly praying every evening before them.
My icon corner will not be complete without one.
Demetri
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 11:02:49 PM by Aristocles » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 10:06:00 PM »

Aristocles -

Have you looked for one of those on the Internet? If you find out where they can be had, let me know; they sound great.

The next time I go to Russia I am taking a couple of big, empty suitcases with me for icons. There are so many extremely beautiful ones, and they are very inexpensive. The monks at the Danielsky Monastery in Moscow write many, and they are beautiful. I brought some back last time and gave them to friends at church as gifts.

There are icons and other Orthodox items for sale almost everywhere in Russia, even at the Moscow Metro stations.

As long as one buys relatively new icons and other religious articles he will not have trouble with Russian Customs. It's only when one tries to take away the older things, which are considered national treasures, that he can run into trouble and will probably lose them to confiscation.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2003, 10:08:08 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 10:23:14 PM »

Linus, remember your friends at OC.net! Tongue
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 12:16:19 AM »

Linus, remember your friends at OC.net! Tongue

I'll let you know when I'm going, brother!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 01:30:41 PM »

Jonathan, I know that you addressed this to Oblio, but if you noticed Serge's reply, he has a censer for incense at his icon corner too.  This is quite common to use at icon corners in Eastern Orthodox homes, the "home church," if you will.

Thanks for the reply Hypo-Ortho, and explaining the use of the censer/kadilli while I was gone Smiley   My censer came in a gift basket that my sister gave us for a wedding present and unfortunately does not have a handle Sad .  I probably should get another when we are able to get more icons to put throughout our home.
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 01:53:21 PM »

With the help of Mrs. Oblio we finished our prayer room yesterday .  We removed a kingsize bed that was crowding the room and now the corner really invites prayer Smiley

Now I just need to borrow a digital camera to post a pic ...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 07:51:12 PM by Oblio » Logged
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2003, 10:53:32 AM »

Yes, it's a bar... but it was on the East wall in the bedroom of the house we rent at school, so it worked out.  The top 1/2 is mine, & the bottom 1/2 was my Catholic roommate's, who has now left for seminary.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2003, 10:57:30 AM »

My censer is hand-held, and I make the sign of the Cross with it after placing a few grains of fragrant incense over burning charcoal in it.  It is customary in some families, especially on Great Feasts, to cense all the icons in the house, all present, and each room with the hand-held censer after censing the icons at one's icon corner and beginning prayers there.

Hypo-Ortho

Ok, thanks for the explination... only our priests are allowed to offer incense, with the whole bit about the ground opening up and swallowing people who tried to offer incense without being priests in the OT.  I didn't realize your rules were different, thanks for explaining.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2003, 11:02:47 AM »

...placing a few grains of fragrant incense over burning charcoal in it.

H-O and others,

Where do you buy your charcoal? I purchaed some from a vendor at the Greek festival and I can't get it to stay lit! It goes out even after holding a candle flame to it for 30 seconds!

Thanks!
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2003, 11:32:24 AM »

I got mine from Light-n-life lemme get a link ...

Charcoal Pellet for Home Censer: Quick Start
« Last Edit: July 12, 2003, 11:34:54 AM by Oblio » Logged
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2003, 08:15:31 PM »

...placing a few grains of fragrant incense over burning charcoal in it.

H-O and others,

Where do you buy your charcoal? I purchaed some from a vendor at the Greek festival and I can't get it to stay lit! It goes out even after holding a candle flame to it for 30 seconds!

Thanks!

I buy mine from Milano's Market on South Main St., here in Springfield, MA.  Very inexpensive ($1 per roll, $5 per box), and they are miniatures of the ones used in church: they light up right away and stay lit.  Milano's also carries some church incense from Greece--I don't know why: it's an Italian market specializing in gourmet Italian foods and catering.

However, as I recall, Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA, sells incense, charcoal, censers, lampadas, wick-floats, a wide range of high-quality icons in the Byzantine style, and other items useful for enhancing one's prayer life in both church and home.

Hypo-Ortho
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2003, 04:16:53 AM »

We use charcoal powder which is made from vine branches I believe. We used to use the quick lighting charcoal bricks but discovered the powder at one of the monasteries we visit and have used it ever since. It lights very easily but takes a little while for the whole lot to ignite as it burns slowly. The best part is that there is no smoke produced when you ignite it Smiley

John
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: