OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel 9:27:: The Orthodox Interpretation.  (Read 6111 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »

Hello. I was wondering... What is the Orthodox interpretation of the 70 weeks of Daniel? Please explain as well Daniel 9:27. God Bless You!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:08:55 PM »

For others' reference, Daniel 9:27 says, "Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week, and in the middle of the week, My sacrifice and drink-offering will be taken away; and there shall be in the temple the abomination of desolations, and to the end of the time, an end to the desolation shall be appointed."

The Orthodox Study Bible has this to say about the verse:

The Epistle of Barnabas observes that this passage was fulfilled when the temple (the sanctuary, v. 26) was destroyed by the Romans in A.D. 70. But Barnabas also points out that a true temple remains, the Body of Christ, a spiritual temple in which God truly dwells. Seventy weeks is interpreted to mean seventy weeks of years, or 490 years (seventy times seven years). This prophecy applies also to Jeremiah's "seventy years" (see Dan. 9:2, Jer. 25:11-12, Jer. 29:10).

According to Hippolytus, Daniel's vision concerned the time when the temple would be rebuilt, as well as the time of the coming of the Messiah. First, the Jews would return and resume sacrifice after seventy years of captivity. "Having mentioned therefore seventy weeks, and having divided them into two parts, in order that what was spoken by him to the prophet might be better understood, he proceeds thus, until Messiah the Prince there shall be seven weeks, which make forty-nine years. It was in the twenty-first year [of Nebuchadnezzar's reign] that Daniel saw these things in Babylon. Hence, the forty-nine years added to the twenty-one, make up the seventy years, of which the blessed Jeremiah spoke" (Jer. 25:11). Second, Jesus the Messiah would be crucified in A.D. 30, about 490 years (seventy weeks) after Artaxerxes commissioned Ezra to rebuild Jerusalem in 458 B.C. (2 Ezra 7:7-8).

Hippolytus comments that after "Christ is come, and the gospel is preached in every place, the times being then accomplished, there will remain only one week, the last, in which Elias will appear, and Enoch. And in the midst of it the abomination of desolations will be manifested, that is, Antichrist, announcing desolation to the world. And when he comes, the sacrifice and oblation will be removed, which now are offered to God in every place by the nations" (see Matt. 24:15).

Hope that helps.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:23:54 PM »

For others' reference, Daniel 9:27 says, "Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week, and in the middle of the week, My sacrifice and drink-offering will be taken away; and there shall be in the temple the abomination of desolations, and to the end of the time, an end to the desolation shall be appointed."

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your time! God Bless You! I already have an Orthodox Study Bible though. Should have said that before. Do you know of any other resources about the Seventy Weeks of Daniel from an Orthodox position?
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 11:45:17 PM »

If you go to www.ccel.org you can search for it and see what comes up.  I would have done it for you, but i'm in between computers right now.  Good luck hunting! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:12:20 AM »

If you can get your hands on a copy of the book 'Ultimate Things' by Dennis Engelman published by Conciliar Press, there is a wonderful and eye-opening chapter on this.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »

Thank you for your time! God Bless You! I already have an Orthodox Study Bible though. Should have said that before. Do you know of any other resources about the Seventy Weeks of Daniel from an Orthodox position?
Not offhand. In my time as a Protestant, I was really soured to "end-times" preaching, so I never looked for it when I became Orthodox. I can check our parish bookstore this weekend, though. We've got stuff on just about every subject. I'll see what I can find.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »

Hope that helps.

I heard a protestant mnister mention this passage from the old testament...he mentioned holy communion would be taken away...the jewish temple won't be rebuild that the church is the new israel....what is your opinion on this..and have the Holy Fathers any of them came close to this interpretation,,,,,stanislav
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:33:00 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:34:32 AM »

I typed the words "commentary on Daniel 9:27" into www.ccel.org and this first page came up:  http://www.ccel.org/search?category=fulltext&qu=commentary+on+Daniel+9%3A27

The first few entries are from Calvin, and some other Protestant authors.  In terms of orthodox authors you have to be more specific like adding key words and etc.  Depends on which father you want the site to look up.  It can get a little daunting.  I tried to do it myself, but with not much luck...sorry...i've never been that great at researching these things online.   Sad Sad

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »

Hippolytus' full quote, alluded to in Mr Y's post as well as the OSB with the OT, is:

For when the threescore and two weeks are fulfilled, and Christ is come, and the Gospel is preached in every place, the time being accomplished, there will remain only one week, the last. At that time Elias will appear, and Enoch. And in the midst of it the abomination of desolation will be manifested, namely, Antichrist, announcing desolation to the world.

The Prophet Daniel then sets forth those things concerning the Antichrist, who shall be shameless, a war-maker, and despot, who, exalting himself above all kings and above every god, shall build the city of Jerusalem, and restore the sanctuary. The impious will worship him as God, and will bend to him the knee, thinking him to be the Christ.

For he shall cut off the two witnesses and forerunners to Christ, who proclaim His glorious kingdom from heaven, as it said " But I shall send my two witnesses to prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, wearing sackcloth.(Rev. 11:3, NJB)

And when he comes, the sacrifice and oblation will be removed, which now are offered to God in every place by the nations. As also it was announced to Daniel...that the one week might be shown to be two.
The two witnesses, then, shall preach three years and a half; and Antichrist shall make war upon the saints during the rest of the week, and desolate the world, that what is written may be fulfilled: From the moment that the perpetual sacrifice is abolished and the appalling abomination set up: a thousand two hundred and ninety days (Daniel 12:11, NJB) 

Jerome had an interesting commentary as well:

The roman people demolished the city and sanctuary under Vespasian, the leader who was to come; upon his death the seven weeks, that is, forty nine years, were complete, and Aelius Hadrian, by whom afterwards the city of Aelia was established upon the ruins of Jerusalem, vanquished the revolting Jews in their conflict with the general Tinus Rufus. It was at this that time that the sacrificial offering ceased, and '...the appalling abomination until the end, until the doom assigned to the devastator(Dan 9:27, NJB)....

...In the speech of the ancients, as for instance quoting a figure, the smaller number is given first and then the larger. And so the fulfillment is not to follow the literal order of the words, but it has been accomplished in terms of the whole sum, taken together.

It is always valuable to put this quote in context. The Archangel Gabriel is appearing as a man and speaking to Daniel. The Messiah is to come and fulfill His redeeming work. After His Death, the sacrifices at Jerusalem will be made obsolete (see Hebrews 7:23-28; the purpose for the Temple has been fulfilled).

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »

Peace mate,

Not personally familiar with Daniel other than knowing that all the prophesies of Daniel are fulfilled as we in the Coptic Church here during Passion Week.

You may like to consult the Church Fathers on this issue. St. Hippolytus (sp?) has a fine commentary on Daniel.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

According to Daniel 9:25

Know therefore and discern, that from the going forth of the word to restore and to build Jerusalem unto one anointed, a prince, shall be seven weeks; and for threescore and two weeks, it shall be built again, with broad place and moat, but in troublous times.

If you can read Hebrew, could you please tell me if it says "the word", "a word", or just "word?

כה  וְתֵדַע וְתַשְׂכֵּל מִן-מֹצָא דָבָר, לְהָשִׁיב וְלִבְנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלִַם עַד-מָשִׁיחַ נָגִיד--שָׁבֻעִים, שִׁבְעָה; וְשָׁבֻעִים שִׁשִּׁים וּשְׁנַיִם, תָּשׁוּב וְנִבְנְתָה רְחוֹב וְחָרוּץ, וּבְצוֹק, הָעִתִּים.  25

The reason I ask is because there are several "words" about building Jerusalem in the 6th and 5th centuries BC.

Thanks!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:58 AM »

Know therefore and discern, that from the going forth of the word to restore and to build Jerusalem unto one anointed, a prince, shall be seven weeks; and for threescore and two weeks, it shall be built again, with broad place and moat, but in troublous times.

If you can read Hebrew, could you please tell me if it says "the word", "a word", or just "word?

כה  וְתֵדַע וְתַשְׂכֵּל מִן-מֹצָא דָבָר, לְהָשִׁיב וְלִבְנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלִַם עַד-מָשִׁיחַ נָגִיד--שָׁבֻעִים, שִׁבְעָה; וְשָׁבֻעִים שִׁשִּׁים וּשְׁנַיִם, תָּשׁוּב וְנִבְנְתָה רְחוֹב וְחָרוּץ, וּבְצוֹק, הָעִתִּים.  25

The reason I ask is because there are several "words" about building Jerusalem in the 6th and 5th centuries BC.

Thanks!
[/quote]
    I read a little bit of biblical Hebrew.  I do not see a definite article, so it appears to read "A word," but it would be a good idea to grab a good commentary and see if the author would argue putting in a definite article on account of the way it is written or type of literature or an idiomatic phrase.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »

Thanks!
    I read a little bit of biblical Hebrew.  I do not see a definite article, so it appears to read "A word," but it would be a good idea to grab a good commentary and see if the author would argue putting in a definite article on account of the way it is written or type of literature or an idiomatic phrase.
[/quote]

I saw a few other translations use "a word". The Hebrew word for "the" is "ha."

THANK YOU.
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but, do we a clear interpretion of Dan 9:24 ? I've read through some of the notes on it from the OSB. But I am confused there are numerous decrees to rebuild the temple/wall/foundations which decree do you start counting down ? What year in BC was the decree to rebuild the temple given?. Im also confused regarding the 49years there's 490 years also, but then there's also 49 years I am not sure what these 49years are for ?

Thanks in advance
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 03:51:40 AM »

Any idea what the 49 years are for ?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Any idea what the 49 years are for ?
The San Francisco 49ers, of course. Cool
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:30:56 PM by Gamliel » Logged
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 12:21:47 AM »

What was the 49 years for ? are the 49years for the remaining captivity for the Jewish people in Babylon ?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: