OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:57:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archaeological Evidence  (Read 1223 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: April 02, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »

Hey Guys!

Not sure where this is suppose to go, and I didn't find it in Search, but where is that archaeological evidence for the Egyptian slavery of the jews and evidence of the Jews wandering 40 years in the Desert? What does the OC believe about this? Thanks!

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »

Hey Guys!

Not sure where this is suppose to go, and I didn't find it in Search, but where is that archaeological evidence for the Egyptian slavery of the jews and evidence of the Jews wandering 40 years in the Desert? What does the OC believe about this? Thanks!

No, not a lot.  That might suprise people, but remember whole civilizations (the Hittites and their extensive empire, for example), disappeared without much of a trace (only the reference in the Bible) until archaeologists stumbled on the Hittite capital in central Anatolia and dug it out.

There was a Discovery show "the Exodos Code," or some such thing by the same guy who did the Jesus tomb thing a while back.  It summarizes some bits we have about the Exodus (for instance, Israel is named only once in all of Egyptian records).

One thing though, Manetho, the father of Egyptian history (he wrote in Greek during the last dynasty of Ancient Egypt, and as a high priest, had access to all the records) dealt with Moses whom he identified with certain events during the time of Ramses, so instead of dismissing the Exodus, he felt he had to deal with it.  Btw, no one in the Ancient World can compare to the historiography of the Hebrews until the Greeks came along.

One thing to remember is that the Egyptians were not interested in defeats, and only recorded victories, and systematic (and ritualistic) destruction of records were a part of daily life.  We do have records of Semites such as the Hebrews, invasions of Canaan by someone called "Apiru," but nothing like the detail the OT provides us on the times.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »

One thing to remember is that the Egyptians were not interested in defeats, and only recorded victories, and systematic (and ritualistic) destruction of records were a part of daily life.  We do have records of Semites such as the Hebrews, invasions of Canaan by someone called "Apiru," but nothing like the detail the OT provides us on the times.

Co-sign!!!

This is 100% true

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »

Hey Guys!

There is an episode of "The Naked Archeologist" (he's not really naked, lol) on the History Channel International. He provides some great evidence for it. In fact, he found carved into a stone in an Egyptian rock quary that slaves would have worked in.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

I just watched that the other night, it was very good and his theory abut the tobstones in Greece was interesting and plausible I thought....anyway.   Actually, there has been a lot of biblical archaeology on History International and regular History channel lately, personally I am enjoying the shows (but then I'm an archaeology nut) and my hub has been avidly watching them too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:44:22 PM by aurelia » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »

I just watched that the other night, it was very good and his theory abut the tobstones in Greece was interesting and plausible I thought....anyway.   Actually, there has been a lot of biblical archaeology on History International and regular History channel lately, personally I am enjoying the shows (but then I'm an archaeology nut) and my hub has been avidly watching them too.

I've noticed the glut too, and just attributed it to Western Easter.  Personally, I've been thrilled - when I've been able to catch the shows.  Saw the one special about Crucifixion; saw a few of the "footsteps of Jesus" series.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:56 AM »

One thing to remember is that the Egyptians were not interested in defeats, and only recorded victories, and systematic (and ritualistic) destruction of records were a part of daily life.

Like the destruction of Queen Hapchetsut's records, or however you spell her name.

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:32:08 AM »

Hatshepsut. Smiley

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: