OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 07:11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2008 Post of the Month!  (Read 1993 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: April 01, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »

(Dateline OC.net Palace)--There was an air of excitement among the usual throngs of OC.net denizens today, as it was the start of a new month. All knew this meant that the potential authors of last month's Post of the Month program would be announced to the teeming masses!

"Give us the names!" shouted a member of the crowd under the OC.net Palace courtyard. In response the balcony door of FrChris' balcony swung open, and he began his announcement;

"Again, we have an embarrassment of riches here on OC.net, where we had so many excellent posts to choose from we actually have two posters who have the coveted title of 'Didaskalos tou Genous' due to their contributions.

One author is paradosis for reply #5 of this thread:

Something that helped me in converting to Orthodoxy from Catholicism was to apply my reasoning as a Roman Catholic regarding the oneness of the Holy Eucharist to the oneness of the local Churches.  Just as it is possible for there to be one Eucharist fully present and received in many different churches and yet remain one, it is possible for there to be one Church fully present and operative in many local Churches and yet remain one.  And just as it would be heretical in either Orthodoxy or Catholicism to affirm that there is one Eucharist that is ontologically greater than other Eucharists, it is heretical in Orthodoxy for one local Church/Bishop to be ontologically greater than the others.  In short, just apply your present understanding of the Holy Eucharist's unity-in-multiplicity to the Church and you've got  Orthodox ecclesiology.  I hope this helps you. 

God bless,

Adam 

Another poster so honored is EkhristosAnesti for reply #4 of this thread

Dear Unique,

It seems like you are seeking an easy way out of your difficulty, and that's naturally to be expected. Most of us have that mentality when we find ourselves bearing the harsh heat of one difficulty or another. Just remember, however, as was the case with the three young youth, that it was in the very midst of the flames that the Son of God was to be found. He was their balm, their comfort, their hope and their strength. I bet if we did an interview with the three youth today and asked them whether in hindsight they would've preferred to have been saved from the furnace by some miraculous intervention or whether they would've gone through the furnace again to meet the Son of God, that they would opt for the latter.

Who or what are you seeking, Unique? Are you seeking the Physician, or are you just seeking the cure? Are you seeking the Worker of miracles, or are you just seeking the miracle? Maybe God does not will for you to be released from the flames because He wants you to seek Him amidst them, for it is there that He is to be found.

Yes, the Church is blessed with many living saints who are by all means capable, by virtue of their favour before God, of healing you. You mentioned Abouna Fanous in another thread, and it cannot be denied that he has done some amazing things with many people. You mention the late Pope Kyrillos VI in this thread, and again it cannot be denied that even after his departure his intercessions work wonders. I would in no way discourage you from seeking the Saints and their assistance in this matter, but if your heart and mind are in such a condition that your concern is really just for a quick and easy fix to your problem, you may be setting yourself up to be disappointed. The Saints are not magicians, they are servants of God; they work wonders to bring salvation to others and glory to His Holy Name. It may very well be that your condition, spiritual and otherwise, is such that such a result would not be effected by some quick healing at the touch of a Saint's hand.

Ultimately, the will of God prevails. It is no accident that you suffer; there is, as i'm sure you've heard a number of times, a reason for it; have you ever stopped to discern what that reason may be? Have you ever focused on making an effort to fulfill the purpose for which it may be that you are suffering? These are questions that should be the priority of your considerations at the moment, and they're questions that should be raised and answered within the context of a long and sincere discussion with your spiritual adviser. Also consider that we are in the midst of the Great Lent; don't spare this opportunity to make the most of your situation. Cling to the Church, especially in this season, and I promise your spirit will be refreshed, your focus re-aligned, and you will acquire a new and divine perspective on all that you are going through.

From tonight's Vespers reading:

Psalms 27:14, 13
14 Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!.
13 I had believed That I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living. Alleluia.

Luke 12:22-31
22 Then He said to His disciples, Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. 23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? 25 And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 26 If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? 29 And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. 30 For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. 31 But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.
Glory is due to our God unto the age of all ages. Amen

AXIOI! AXIOI! AXIOI!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »

AXIOI! AXIOI! AXIOI! They are worthy indeed!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »

AXIOI! AXIOI! AXIOI!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »

HIP, HIP, HOORAY! Grin
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:34:44 PM »

AXIOI!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »

Axioi!

Love never fails.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:09 AM »

AXIOI! AXIOI! AXIOI!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »

Wow...very very good posts.  Axioi! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: