OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Theophan the Recluse Plagiarize Dom Lorenzo Scupoli?  (Read 4735 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: April 01, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »

Huh Unseen Warfare... Spiritual Combat  Huh

Did the originals edited works by Theophan recognize their origins from the Latin Priest Fr. Lorenzo Scupoli?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:22:19 PM by ignatius » Logged

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »

Did the originals edited works by Theophan recognize their origins from the Latin Priest Fr. Lorenzo Scupoli?

It was actually originally St. Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain who first edited the work in the 16th century, and yes, he did recognise it as the work of Scupoli. St. Theophan then further edited the work and recognized both Scupoli and St. Nicodemos' work in the preface.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »

It was actually originally St. Nicodemos of the Holy Mountain who first edited the work in the 16th century, and yes, he did recognise it as the work of Scupoli. St. Theophan then further edited the work and recognized both Scupoli and St. Nicodemos' work in the preface.

Thank you very much ozgeorge for that clarification! You the Bomb!

BTW, why would a monk from the Holy Mountain be reading Latin Spiritual Treatises? Don't we have Spiritual Treatises of our own that are much better? Just asking...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:57:01 PM by ignatius » Logged

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »

BTW, why would a monk from the Holy Mountain be reading Latin Spiritual Treatises? Don't we have Spiritual Treatises of our own that are much better? Just asking...
Are they really much better merely because they're penned by Orthodox writers and the Latin treatises are not?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:23:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »

The Spiritual Combat is amazing! Who cares who wrote it---it's required reading for any Christian.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »

Yes, our spiritual library is immense: The Philokalia, the Evergetinos, the Ladder to name but a few.
However, Orthodox theologians do not simply read Orthodox sourced texts. There has never been an "Index Librorum Prohibitorum" ("List of Forbidden Books") in the Orthodox Church. Remember also that some Fathers of the Church held some ideas which later were seen to be heretical (for example, the Sts. Gregorys of Nyssa and Nazianzus appear to have held some Origenist views about apocastasis). While rejecting those teachings which are not Orthodox, the Church still recognizes the immensity of the rest of their teaching and even Glorifies them. The Church doesn't even reject the non-heretical teachings of those she has condemned as heretics (Origen for instance).
So what St. Nicodemus did was revise Scupoli's text by removing the non-Orthodox components and translating it into Greek. St. Theophan further revised the text adding marginal notes and translating it into Russian.
As the Fathers say, we should be like the bees who gather nectar from different flowers and leave what is not nectar.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:19:47 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:18:44 AM »

Interestingly enough I just got this book today.  Still in the introductory of the book, but to answer your first question.  it seems to me that St. Nicodemos lived in a time when the Greek Orthodox Church were being oppressed to a certain degree by Turkish rule.  Thus the Greeks were driven abroad to seek their Higher Education and Theological learning which was difficult in their country. Priest and Theologians went mainly to Italy thus they came under the infleunces of the Roman Cahtolics, that is probably where St. Nicodemos came across the book.

The fact that two great Saints, St. Nicodemos and St. Theophan, who were both well versed in the Orthodox tradition, saw value in the book to the extent that they wanted the Orthodox family to read it shows, it has something in it, that others writings may not touch upon this issue of "Purifying the heart" in such a manner.

It is not an issue of better, it is on this particular issue, the Latin Saint made some good points.  In the Philokalia, there is a text in it, that the translators felt was not originally Orthodox Christian but from Greek Philosophy.

The beauty that it shows, is that Orthodox Christians, or at least some of them are willing to recongize the truth regardless of where it comes from, which shows that Orthodox Christians are not closed minded. Another beauty that is shows, is that eventhough the Orthodox and the Catholics disagree on the some of the outward aspects of the religion, we seem to be united on spiritual matters. There is hope that one day we will be united with our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:39:27 AM by Irenaeus07 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »

the Greek Orthodox Church were being oppressed to a certain degree by Turkish rule.
To a certain degree, parts of her still are. Sad

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. Actually I have both the english translation of Fr. Scupoli's Spiritual Combat as well as St. Theophan's Unseen Warfare.

Tags: St. Theophan the Recluse Unseen Warfare Fr. Lorenzo Scupoli Spiritual Combat plagiarism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: