OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Chalcedonian parishes in the US  (Read 1830 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 20, 2003, 11:49:14 AM »

Mor, Mikho,
Is there any online directories?  I might want to visit a parish for Liturgy sometime (Armenian, Coptic, Indian, etc. - maybe all of them).  Is there several in the SF Bay area?  There are actually many Eritreans (and I think an Eritrean priest or deacon) that attend my OCA parish.  (Btw, all of the Eritreans except the clergyman have either been baptised in my parish from birth or recently Chrismated so that there's no issue of Communion.)
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 02:05:54 PM »

Here's a directory of Coptic churches: http://www.mycopticchurch.com/churches/
Mikho

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 11:52:48 AM »

There is a Syriac community in San Jose who prays at the Armo church there.  There is also an Armo church in San Francisco.

There are Coptic parishes in SF, Cambell, Hayward, and Concord.

There is an Ethiopian parish (St. Gabriel) in San Jose (there might actually be two), and one in Berkeley.  

Eno-no sayfo d-Aloho
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 04:20:29 PM »

I find it interesting that you ask, as we are in the process of adding a directory of our own on oc.net for both Chalcedonian and Non-Chalcedonian Churches!  It will debute in stages soon; Chals. first then Non-Chals, due to time limitations on our parts.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 08:15:35 AM »

Here's a directory of Syriac/Malankara Churches
http://sor.cua.edu/ChMon/index.html

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 07:47:19 PM »

all of the Eritreans except the clergyman have either been baptised in my parish from birth or recently Chrismated so that there's no issue of Communion.)

They go all the way to that extent just to avoid going to an Ethiopian Church? Shame, politics suck.

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 09:50:29 AM »

I agree Aklie.  What's the deal with being re-Chrismated anyway?  Isn't that kind of acknowledging that they were "outside the Church" until that point?  And what does the priest do Elisha?  Attend Church as a layman and not receive (since he is not re-Chrismated)?  If they have a priest, what is to stop them from getting a Tabot and celebrating the liturgy themselves?

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags: church directories 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: