OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:37:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think that this article sheds a negative or positive light on Holy Trinity?  (Voting closed: April 11, 2008, 10:52:52 AM)
I think its positive - 4 (36.4%)
I think its negative - 0 (0%)
I think that they could've been a little more sensitive - 1 (9.1%)
I was laughing too hard to answer - 5 (45.5%)
Other - 1 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insulting Articles?  (Read 2448 times) Average Rating: 0
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 01, 2008, 10:52:53 AM »

So this article http://www.timeout.com/chicago/articles/home-living/27878/raze-the-roof was written in a subscription based magazine as part of their April Fools edition. I want to know if you guys agree with some that it is negative and insulting and should be removed. Or if you agree with others (like me) Who think its great PR and if taken ironically and sarcastically, it provides free advertising and outreach and may lead to visitors and donations.

Please also post any comments you wish.

Thanks!

-Nick

I should've added earlier my comments on the issue:

This is an excellent thing for us. Instead of looking at this in a negative light, this is actually one of the best ways of ADVERTISING the cathedral we could possibly get.
Some facts:

1) It's free, we didn't have to pay for the ad
2) People will read the article and see the address and picture and may be inclined to see the structure, e.g. visit, e.g. give us a donation
3) There is truth in parts of the article
4) The person who wrote this obviously did some research on the church to be able to dig up these facts
5) If you look at it from a sarcastic point of view, it actually sheds a pretty nice light on the cathedral example:
        a) Tearing down an architecturally significant church is an excellent way to make room for more condos! (Sarcastically, the opposite would hold true)
   b) The plan, which could still face opposition from annoying historical landmark activists and the rest of the known universe,  (Sarcastically,           no one wants to see the structure torn down)
6) The old saying probably applies here: Any publicity is good publicity.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:07:34 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

Not because it was a church that was targeted, but I just didn't see the humor in it I guess (though I want to point out that I wasn't offended.)  I do agree that it provides free advertising for the church, but not necessarily positive advertising per se because it's a Ukranian church in a neighborhood apparently called Ukranian Village.  Nothing wrong with that, except that it plays to the concerns that the Orthodox Church is an ethnic church.  So my point is, I doubt it will bring in too many visitors despite the free advertising.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:20:22 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:05:55 PM »

Not because it was a church that was targeted, but I just didn't see the humor in it I guess (though I want to point out that I wasn't offended.)  I do agree that it provides free advertising for the church, but not necessarily positive advertising per se because it's a Ukranian church in a neighborhood apparently called Ukranian Village.  Nothing wrong with that, except that it plays to the concerns that the Orthodox Church is an ethnic church.  So my point is, I doubt it will bring in too many visitors despite the free advertising.  Just my opinion.

Thats a very good point, and I suppose that there is probably need of a little history of the area, that I should've posted earlier. Thanks for your post though!

The name "Ukrainian Village" was in place before the church was built. It was the settlement spot in Chicago for many Ukrainians who came over from Europe in the late 1800s and early 1900s. There are still many Ukrainian based churches and business and people living in the area. One of the largest being Sts Volodomyr and Olha which boasts a membership well over 1,000 souls. Holy Trinity in a sense could be considered a more ethnic parish because we are still getting an influx of Russian immigrants attending services and there is no doubt that there are 3 tables during coffee hour of Russian language. Maybe its not entirely accurate, but if its perceived, it can be a problem.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

I thought it was funny.  But then again I'm all for April Fool's articles in reputable papers.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »

I thought it was funny.  But then again I'm all for April Fool's articles in reputable papers.
Yup.  So "tongue in cheek" I can see right through the baloney.  Good April Fool's Day article indeed. laugh
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:07:32 AM »

Very funny! "Leavitt Street", indeed!  Grin

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:39:07 AM »

I particularly liked the whirlpool with the thatch roof in the bell tower!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Tags: OCA Holy Trinity Cathedral Diocese of the Midwest Chicago April Fools Day 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: