Author Topic: Not of this world, Lent at 4am  (Read 1061 times)

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
Not of this world, Lent at 4am
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:35:54 AM »
Just got back from visiting St. Gregory of Palamas Monastery in Ohio today with my 8 year old son.  Just wanted to encourage everyone to try and make a pilgrimage to a Monastery during Lent.  At 4am the world is still, the night sky is clear, and I can't fully explain what it felt like to be in the presence of monks who make this their life.  Lent is a time of repentance and I can't think of a better way to look clearly into your soul than early in the morning in the church of a holy place.  May your Lent be one of repentance and glorious anticipation of a life in Christ.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:54:13 AM by livefreeordie »

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
Re: Not of this world, Lent at 4am
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
Nice post. I'm making my pilgramage to a monastery next Monday. It will actually be my first time at a monastery. I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
Have a great trip!  It's always nice to be somewhere where you can slowdown, think and pray.

Nice post. I'm making my pilgramage to a monastery next Monday. It will actually be my first time at a monastery. I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
Just got back today and my time at the monastery was probably one of the best experiences of my life. I loved it and I can't wait to go back. It's really wonderful to have time to leave the stresses of the world behind for a few days and spend the days in prayer. I went to the Dormition Monastery in Rives Junction, MI and stayed for two nights. I was pretty sad when it was time to leave :'(.

Offline livefreeordie

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »
Just got back today and my time at the monastery was probably one of the best experiences of my life. I loved it and I can't wait to go back. It's really wonderful to have time to leave the stresses of the world behind for a few days and spend the days in prayer. I went to the Dormition Monastery in Rives Junction, MI and stayed for two nights. I was pretty sad when it was time to leave :'(.

A group from our Church here in Indianapolis, Joy of All Who Sorrow, was there this past weekend, you must have seen each other.  I love Dormition, my wife and I first went there almost 10 years ago.  It's truly not of this world!