OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:37:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Final Four  (Read 1334 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« on: March 30, 2008, 09:32:27 PM »

Final Four of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament:
  • UCLA
  • Memphis
  • North Carolina
  • Kansas

The first time in the history of the tournament that ALL FOUR regional No. 1 seeds advanced this far.

Any thoughts on who's going to win it all?  Whom you want to win?  Whom you can't stand and want to see lose?

(The Final Four of the women's tournament will be ultimately determined on Tuesday.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:35:40 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »

I cant say that I like UCLA that much, but I think they'll end up winning. My hope: Memphis.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

UCLA's superstar freshman, Kevin Love, played high school ball in a suburb of my city of residence.  Wouldn't it be great for UCLA to beat Memphis in their semifinal and bring Love to his fourth consecutive championship game (the past three being Oregon high school state finals)?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:31:52 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
buzuxi
Elder

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: WORLD ORTHODOXY AGAINST ECUMENISM

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:21:40 AM »

Yes it would, especially since i'm the only one who has UCLA winning it all, in the pool. Which would make me 2 year winner in picking the brackets. I have North Carolina and UCLA in the championship game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:22:24 AM by buzuxi » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »

Normally I don't care a bit about basketball, but this time I'm going to pick Kansas. It's a good university; I've heard terrific things about its law and music programs. After all, sports only exist to bring revenue, whether through ticket sales, merchandise sales, alumni donations, or tuition from additional students. Whichever school wins is going to get a nice boost to all of these, so I'd like it to be a school that my students can reasonably expect to attend and which has a solid academic record. Kansas fits the bill on both counts. So...go Jayhawks!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:07:34 AM »

UCLA Bruins...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »

I'm hoping North Carolina wins with a combined score of 150 or more...if that doesn't happen, I couldn't care less. Wink

It's been fun watching the final scores...but I think I still prefer the ponies.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:30:41 AM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 12:40:37 AM »

I figured that this would be the year for the Top-seeds: the bracket was too top-heavy, and didn't have enough good mid-seeds (between the 3 seed and the 10 seed) to foresee a reasonable upset.  I still think NC is much more talented than the others, and definitely has the best shot to win it all.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »

I figured that this would be the year for the Top-seeds: the bracket was too top-heavy, and didn't have enough good mid-seeds (between the 3 seed and the 10 seed) to foresee a reasonable upset.  I still think NC is much more talented than the others, and definitely has the best shot to win it all.

Considering I might pull in several hundred bucks if that's the case, I really hope you're right Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 01:13:22 AM »

Considering I might pull in several hundred bucks if that's the case, I really hope you're right Wink

I hope you're referring to a pool, because the bookies are not going to give you anything for picking the #1 overall team.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 01:24:22 AM »

I hope you're referring to a pool, because the bookies are not going to give you anything for picking the #1 overall team.

Of course, I'm not going to call up the bookies to bet on something I know absolutely nothing about. As far as that's concerned, I'll stick with the ponies (and even then, despite their 20%+ cut, you're generally better off betting with the track than with the bookies). But I'm in a pretty well populated pool with a bunch of people who gave me a really hard time for going with statistical favourites. Now that I'm well ahead of them, win or loose, I get the satisfaction of beating these people who fancy themselves experts. Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: