OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Head Count!  (Read 3733 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: June 30, 2003, 02:58:22 PM »

Hi Friends,

I want to get a final headcount by this Saturday, July 5th.

If you have already emailed me, you are set to go.

If you want to come, email me NOW.

bobby
bob@orthodoxchristianity.net
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 02:58:49 PM by Bobby » Logged
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 03:41:31 PM »

woohoo, I'm set to go!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 07:47:29 PM »

I just sent you an email, Bobby.

I will try to make it, but I am not sure that I can. Some work commitments may interfere.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 09:07:57 PM »

Hey everybody.

I should have everything finalized by tomorrow. Keble is checking into a park up near his house and I am calling 2 other parks to see if the Picnic Shelters are available in those parks.

So, things should be finalized in the next coupe of days --I will then send Bobby the directions to the site for him to post.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 11:34:35 PM »

Looks like we're going to have 22 people coming!

Bobby
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 12:38:11 PM »

For planning purposes, 2 questions that come to mind:

1. How many adults, how many children?

2. Any food allergies?  While some are minor, others can be to ingredients that may not be obvious and can be quite serious.

Answering my own question:

2 old, 3 young and no known allergies

Ebor
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 12:39:07 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 12:51:21 PM »

going to be around 5 children. Age range unknown.

The rest will be age ranged 17-60.

I will be waking up early Saturday morning to do some shopping for food/essentials like charcoal. Those who want to join are welcome. If ya'll want to send me an email: bob@orthodoxchristianity.net stating things you might want/not want, that would be handy.I am going to be getting standard cookout fare(hamburger/hotdog/etc), but any other requests we can take care of.

Bobby
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 06:01:41 PM »

Well, our sprats are 4, 7 and 10.  If we can find out ages of the other children, games, toys etc can be planned.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 06:05:10 PM »

OC SummerFest 2003 Saturday Picnic site has been selected and reserved.

Click the link below for a summary of the activities available at the site:

http://www.mc-mncppc.org/parks/park_of_the_day/feb/parkday_feb3.shtm

Refer to the OC SummerFest page for additional information about the get together.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »

Ebor,

I am not certain as to the ages of the other small children coming.

If the people who are bringing small children want to list their ages that would be terrific.

Should have the "final" e-mail out tomorrow telling everyone all the information they'll need.

Thanks!
Bobby
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 03:02:20 PM »

Thanks, Bobby, I got your email.  A couple of things: For TomS, who I gather has been there, is the spot reserved far enough from the lake that we don't have to worry about children falling in?  I live in the same county but haven't been to that particular park.  

Next, being a local and a cook, is there some proviso for people to bring side dishes, desserts etc to contribute?  We've got some good recipes that are portable.

Thanks,

Ebor
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 03:03:27 PM by Ebor » Logged

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 04:48:07 PM »

Side dishes would be excellent!!

Quite a few of us are guys in school, and our cooking isn't up to par, so if you would like to bring something you enjoy cooking(and that everyone would enjoy eating) go for it!

Pork and beef included.

BObby
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 05:00:12 PM »

Well, not wanting to offend... but I was kind of thinking that youth and college status might have something to do with it... Grin

We can make some good stuff... trust me.  No "Regulan Blood worms".  Cheesy

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 05:04:24 PM »

Ack!  Just remembering seeing that Mor Ephrem was on... Mor?  Do you have any dietary strictures being from India?  Please inform...

Ebor

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 05:12:19 PM »

I'm not Hindu, I eat everything!

It will be the Dormition fast for us, and so normally I'd be fasting.  But my mother doesn't practice the fast, nor does anyone else in my family, and so asking her to prepare fasting food for me alone, and make the regular stuff for everyone else is too much for me to ask...trust me, I've asked!  So it makes no sense for me to practice the fast at the barbecue, but not at home, at least to me.  So I will eat just about anything.  The only thing I can't take is cheese.  I don't like it.  In Italian food, it's OK, but otherwise, no no no no no.  Smiley

Thanks for asking, Ebor, and for the food!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 06:59:28 PM »

Ebor and all others with little ones,

Should not be a problem because the picnic areas are located on hills above the lake. You have to walk down a little ways to get to the lake.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 07:01:08 PM by TomS » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2003, 01:57:43 PM »

Thanks for the info, TomS.  Maybe I can get over that way this weekend to look the place over.  Do you have a specific site?

Mor: No cheese... Well, I won't make Saag Panir then.  Cheesy

I asked as I've read in books about Indian Cooking that there are sometimes regional foodways that cut across different religions for what is/is not eaten.  A similar thing might be when I grew up in Montana 40 years ago, you didn't find "native" cuisine involving fresh ocean fish/shellfish etc.  They simply weren't available on a common basis due to shipping. This was common for RC's, and everyone else.  I recall fishsticks in the school lunch on Fridays, but lots of people ate that.  No religion involved.

So anyway,  How does a cold black bean/carrot/onion salad with a vinager/olive oil/parsley/cilantro dressing sound?   Smiley

Ebor

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2003, 03:12:40 PM »

Ebor --

If you do get a chance, it would be helpful if you would go look at the different picnic shelter areas (18 total) and tell me which one you think will work best for you and others with little kids.

I have not yet picked the specific shelter (all are still avaliable), because I was going to go over later this week to make that decision.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 03:17:46 PM by TomS » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2003, 04:46:07 PM »

So anyway,  How does a cold black bean/carrot/onion salad with a vinager/olive oil/parsley/cilantro dressing sound?   Smiley

I've never had anything like that before, but it sounds great!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2003, 04:53:54 PM »

I've never had anything like that before, but it sounds great!

It grew out of having the ingredients for black bean soup but it was way too hot to have that for dinner.  So things got put together differently.  Is the olive oil a problem?  It could be made with vegetable oil, but it may change the flavour a bit.  Oh yes, there's also a small bit of sherry in it, like in the soup.  Is that a problem?

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2003, 04:54:37 PM »

Ebor --

If you do get a chance, it would be helpful if you would go look at the different picnic shelter areas (18 total) and tell me which one you think will work best for you and others with little kids.

I have not yet picked the specific shelter (all are still avaliable), because I was going to go over later this week to make that decision.

We'll try and do that.  Thanks

Ebor

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2003, 04:56:42 PM »

it sounds good ebor Smiley

Any ingredients are good. Only Indians are picky about the ingredients.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2003, 05:29:55 PM »

Actually, I think Ebor had in mind the Dormition fast when she asked about alcohol and oil, Bobby.  I can understand, with your Italian heritage, how fasting is practically non-existent in your spiritual practice.  Tongue

Ebor, the ingredients aren't a problem at all.  It sounds great!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2003, 06:06:53 PM »

Good, I hope that it will be found tasty by others.

I'm also thinking about desserts.  How about a Ukrainian Poppyseed Cake?  No, I'm Not Ukrainian. I  learnt how to make it when a Slavic music group asked me for "Ethnic Food."  After a pause, I had to ask for a more specific definition as asking for that from my main Eth might get them Oat Cakes and whiskey

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2003, 06:08:07 PM »

Ebor --

It occurred to me that if there are any picnic sites near a playground that would be a help.

Ebor

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2003, 06:18:07 PM »

There are picnic areas near the playgrounds. I am going over tomorrow afternoon to scope the others out.

If you do go this weekend, please make sure that you write down the Shelter #'s that you like best and let me know by Monday AM. I have to tell them the specific shelter that we want on Monday.

Thanks for your help!

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 06:18:59 PM by TomS » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2003, 12:46:36 PM »

We went over to Lake Needwood on the way to the dump/recycling station in Gaithersburg yesterday afternoon.  IIRC it was picnic area 3, we turned right at the T intersection in the park (there are I think 3 picnic areas, 2 to the left and one to the right.).  There iis a large habitrail for humans playground area behind a parking lot that is visible from the road. Proceeding around the loop we saw the picnic shelters and explored.  There are paths down to the play ground which is within child's shrieking distance but not too close.  These same paths can be used to get to the picnic if one parks on the lot as opposed to the parking on the loop road.  

The shelters that looked nicest to us were in order of preference: P, Q, R and O.  We were judging on convenience to road, grill size, tables and set up.  Nearby and down the slope slightly is a water fountain in front of a restroom building with shelter N below that. P is nearest the road. R and Q are up at the top of the small hill, nicely situated, one (R?) seemed to have a smaller grill. O is across from P and has a stone wall on one end, but the grill didn't look in as good shape.

The shelters are all in very tree-d places so they're shady.  The lake is across the loop road and down a slope, so with luck there won't be any impromptu or accidental aquatics.  The children loved it, particularly as someone previously had been gathering up fallen branches and had built a sort of wigwam in the woods.  They also approved of the playground.

I hope this is some help.  We drove past the other areas, but only tramped over the one set.

Ebor
« Last Edit: July 13, 2003, 04:53:52 PM by Ebor » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 02:46:10 PM »

Have you confirmed a site, Tom?

Ebor

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 03:38:34 PM »

Hi Ebor.

Forgive me for not getting back to you and thanking you for stopping by and looking things over -- I have been real busy with work the last 2 weeks or so.

I did reserve the site. I selected a site that is a little closer to the boathouse/main rental area. It is Shelter L in picnic Area #2.
I thought that this would be a compromise because it is midway between everything.

I hope to see you there August 2nd!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2003, 03:44:19 PM »

Ah.  is there any play area closer then the one in 3?  Children have shorter legs and can't always walk as far as grownups.  And one of mine is 4.  

Ebor

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2003, 04:08:27 PM »

I know. Sorry, but I had to compromise.  Huh

Parking at that playground area is not a problem. But parking at the boathouse IS a problem on hot summer weekends. And the walk to the boathouse from Area #3 is a bit of a trek because it is at the very end of the lake.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 04:12:25 PM by TomS » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: