OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 03:09:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan METHODIOS (GOA) of Boston Forbids Concelebration with OCA Clergy?  (Read 12399 times) Average Rating: 0
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2008, 12:00:51 AM »

There is no way I can support what Met Methodius has been doing. I've been reading the defenses of him and it just all comes up short. Basically, everyone has been doing this for the past 80 years with no recourse to anyone else, and all of a sudden, the insignificant and small Albanian diocese of the OCA is being used as an example.

As an aside, if I recall correctly, as soon as the OCA made Bp Nikon a bishop (Bp Nikon is one of the best New Calendar bishops I have ever met), the EP elected Bp Ilia a bishop for the two Albanian parishes that were in existence at that time under the EP instead of the OCA--senseless jurisdictionalism IMO.

The idea that the dinky, small, and poor Albanian OCA diocese should move its HQ from its historical center, where it has existed for a very long time, is silly.  Nor should Met Methodius move his diocese. Just keep the two dioceses, just like there are overlapping dioceses everywhere else.

The fact that this is happening now makes me think someone is trying to test the waters to see how others react.  There is simply no point to make the case that "someone else needs to do something about this jurisdictional mess."  If we have this attitude, the mess will never get cleaned up.  We have to work together, not make unreasonable demands of others.

Thank you Anastasios. Very well said. And I agree with your thoughts that someone is testing the waters. But I especially agree with your last line.  Smiley
We do eventually have to find ways to end the overlapping dioceses but they will not end as you said, by making unreasonable demands on others. Making unreasonable demands shows a lack of humility. And it will take much humility, on everyone's part to end our disunity.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:11:09 AM by Tamara » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2008, 12:37:39 AM »

Another compromise option would be:

1) Bp Nikon takes the title Bishop of South Boston--it's another city technically, where his diocesan office is
2) Met Methodius writes him a check for his trouble

But that is the practical side of me speaking...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 12:38:59 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »

But that is the practical side of me speaking... 

And it's that side of people's reasoning that needs to speak more often in order to actually get things done!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2008, 04:24:49 PM »

Anastasios,

I agree with you in principle, however certain details of what you laid out rub me the wrong way. 

Met. Methodios, as you sort of indicated, obviously had a reason for doing what he did.  I believe that he has had enough of the OCA preaching about unity and then doing whatever they want, when they have clearly not been recognized by every autocephalous church.  He chose this moment and even to point that out to them. 

Is this not a valid reason for him doing what he did, and why not...?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »

Thank you Anastasios. Very well said. And I agree with your thoughts that someone is testing the waters. But I especially agree with your last line.  Smiley
We do eventually have to find ways to end the overlapping dioceses but they will not end as you said, by making unreasonable demands on others. Making unreasonable demands shows a lack of humility. And it will take much humility, on everyone's part to end our disunity.

Yes, we really need humility and love.  Lord, have mercy.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »

Yah we also need critical thinking and communication.  humility and love go so far as turning tables and yelling at people. But maybe that wasn't the kind of humility you all were talking about...perhaps you were speaking to a monastic humility, or an angelic one.  Not really sure what all these terms mean, that we are throwing around. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »

And it's that side of people's reasoning that needs to speak more often in order to actually get things done!
Precisely!
Tags: North American unity Culture 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: