OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:53:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: religion, culture, biology and parental roles  (Read 22292 times) Average Rating: 0
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2008, 11:05:12 AM »

They teach to the WASL and that is it since all their funding is based on test scores.
I'm assuming this is Washington's standardized test, similar to our MAP (Missouri Assessment Program). If that's the case, then no, not all their funding is based on one test. For us, MAP scores are only one way to get funding: there are also grants, both publicly and privately funded; property taxes, which also fund police and fire districts as well as other services which vary by location; contributions from the parents (especially with field trips or club activities); and fundraisers such as bake sales or concessions at athletic events. Some districts get very creative and come up with entirely new ways to get funding.

Besides, these state assessments are (in theory) designed to test whether the students are learning essential skills. I have no problem with this theory, nor do most teachers; heck, we formally and informally assess our students' learning all the time! What we dispute is whether the assessments, which are usually written by test-writing companies like McGraw-Hill or ACT, are better evaluative tools than the assessments of classroom teachers.

I can actually teach subjects that are...gasp...useful.
More useful than, say, reading, writing, arithmetic, algebra, American history, world history, music, art, drama, P.E., psychology, geography, foreign languages, journalism, speech, debate, biology, chemistry, physics--shall I go on? Yes, all of these and more are taught at my high school alone, with a faculty of about 20 teachers serving about 150 students.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 11:05:50 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:26 PM »

You know absolutely nothing about schools here. You are young, you haven't been teaching long and you assume that you know how all school districts work. No, they do get their funding based almost entirely upon those test scores. Those grants, taxes and other sources are also divided based upon WASL scores. Every single teachers union here is AGAINST the WASL. The goal for this year? Hopefully the kids can pass ONE of the WASL tests in order to graduate. Then the graduation rate will inch above 50%.

And you DIDN'T READ MY POST. They have liminated almost everything outside of reading, math, very basic science and PE at every school below 9th grade here. There ARE NO art, foreign launguage, field trips, drama or music classes for ANYONE below the HS. NOTHING. Not in the classroom, not in another classroom. There IS NOTHING until you are in highschool. And even then there is no funding for keeping up the materials. The HS close to me just built a new football field. They said they could make money on it to justify the MILLIONS of dollars it cost to build. Years later the school has no computers.

In CA it is worse. They get their funding based almost entirely on attendance. So if you bring your child to school late they fine you. And their idea of scoring your child in PE is to watch them on the playground and score it that way.

Just because you teach does NOT MEAN that you know ANYTHING about how other states do so. You are assuming that you are right when you are just plain wrong.

You teach HS. You DON'T teach grade school. You don't know how horrid grade schools are. They are cesspools here. And I am not placing my children in a public school hoping that they can make it until HS when everything will be a bit better. There are wonderful school districts and schools OTHER PLACES. But I can't drive several hours to get to them just so my child has a public education. I have NEVER said that all public schools everywhere are horrible. I have always said they are bad HERE. It doesn't matter how good they are where you are. They suck here.You really have quite the chip on your shoulder against homeschooling. And whether you know it or not (and soon you will because you have a child) education and ones attitude, aptitude and ability to learn start BEFORE highschool.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:31:48 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

20-150? That is 7.5 to 1. That is a DREAM ratio here. I think the only schools that have that ratio are the private schools that cost about 50k a year. That is a lower ratio than the PRESCHOOLS here have. Try 300-15, or in some areas 10-300. The highschols here have even higher ratios then that! You have it EASY.

We have schools here that are Spanish language exclusively which have lower grade standards because we can't assume that Hispanics can pass our Caucasion tests. How stupid and racist is that?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:27:01 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »

You likely don't have 7.5 children in your classes. But the ratios are based on the total number of students versus total faculty.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »

My grade school growing up was 360-14. And we had a PE and Music teacher!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:29:36 PM by Quinault » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »

Phew, it's getting stuffy in here with all that shouting. I'm going to step outside for a moment.

But you did prove the point I made earlier:
Oh! So he isI am bitter about being homeschooledin public school, that explains it Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »

My public schooling was great! I attended two grade schools and two middle schools in my 9 years of public education. My first grade school was great. It was in a higher income and class area. And so there was computer classes for us even though computers were just catching on. (I am dating myself, this was in the early to mid 80's). I started 1st grade at the age of 5.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »

What, did you get dipped in boiling oil everytime you got a question wrong when you were homeschooled? Or did you get that atomic wedgie every day once you hit public highschool? I remember harassing those naive homeschoolers that came to public HS well. That deer caught in the headlights look. The ceaseless taunting. It was great! Cheesy

Ah, to be a couple years fresh out of college and to assume you know everything! Must feel great. You have been teaching for a year or two and think you have the students and the world by the tail. Oh how I loved breaking your kind when I was in school. Grin Either they broke or they toked in order to deal with me. laugh
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:17:03 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »

And then there were the teachers that had been around a few years and actually had grown past the young idealism that were really awesome that genuinely loved their job, loved their kids and made a real difference. I learned more than I could say from those types of teachers. I never skipped their classes, and if I did they noticed and so did I. But even they admitted that they started off as young punks that assumed they knew everything about teaching.

I pray that you have a long and wonderful career in education Mr. Y. But I do hope that you outgrow this young arrogant know-it-all attitude about all things public school. Once you can admit that not all public schools or teachers are perfect then you will make even more headway then you already do. And you will win the respect and admiration of your collegues AND your students.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:25:50 PM by Quinault » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »

^ I see you're still pretending this thread is about me. I think I'll go for a walk.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »

Time to take a breather while I decide whether or not there are any ad hominems in the recent copious posting - Cleveland, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: working parents Culture 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: