OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:56:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please Help!!!!  (Read 2722 times) Average Rating: 0
Unique

Faith: Christian

« on: March 28, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »

Hey everyone, I need help really bad. Do any of you know any monks, hermits, priests or anyone that can heal people of illness??? Becuz I'm very sick and I need help very badly. I heard that some monks, hermits, etc. can cure people of sickness. Like Pope Kyrillos IV, he was a hermit for a while. Do any of you know anyone? This is very important. Thanks
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »

I do know a monk but not one with the gift of healing.  I will however pray for your health and your recovery but I would also recommend seeing a doctor if you have not already.

If you don't mind, post your real name so that I can name you in my prayers.

God bless.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »

Prayer is a great thing and you should definitely pray to God for healing.  Also ask for the intercession of any saints (in heaven or on earth) that you feel close to.

However, I agree with Marc that you should see a doctor.  Prayer and intercession are not supposed to replace seeing a doctor 

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »

Prayer is a great thing and you should definitely pray to God for healing.  Also ask for the intercession of any saints (in heaven or on earth) that you feel close to.

However, I agree with Marc that you should see a doctor.  Prayer and intercession are not supposed to replace seeing a doctor 

Yes, I agree.  St. Luke wrote the Gospel, wrote the first icons, but I don't recall he quit being a doctor.

Through his prayers, Lord have mercy.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »

Dear Unique,

It seems like you are seeking an easy way out of your difficulty, and that's naturally to be expected. Most of us have that mentality when we find ourselves bearing the harsh heat of one difficulty or another. Just remember, however, as was the case with the three young youth, that it was in the very midst of the flames that the Son of God was to be found. He was their balm, their comfort, their hope and their strength. I bet if we did an interview with the three youth today and asked them whether in hindsight they would've preferred to have been saved from the furnace by some miraculous intervention or whether they would've gone through the furnace again to meet the Son of God, that they would opt for the latter.

Who or what are you seeking, Unique? Are you seeking the Physician, or are you just seeking the cure? Are you seeking the Worker of miracles, or are you just seeking the miracle? Maybe God does not will for you to be released from the flames because He wants you to seek Him amidst them, for it is there that He is to be found.

Yes, the Church is blessed with many living saints who are by all means capable, by virtue of their favour before God, of healing you. You mentioned Abouna Fanous in another thread, and it cannot be denied that he has done some amazing things with many people. You mention the late Pope Kyrillos VI in this thread, and again it cannot be denied that even after his departure his intercessions work wonders. I would in no way discourage you from seeking the Saints and their assistance in this matter, but if your heart and mind are in such a condition that your concern is really just for a quick and easy fix to your problem, you may be setting yourself up to be disappointed. The Saints are not magicians, they are servants of God; they work wonders to bring salvation to others and glory to His Holy Name. It may very well be that your condition, spiritual and otherwise, is such that such a result would not be effected by some quick healing at the touch of a Saint's hand.

Ultimately, the will of God prevails. It is no accident that you suffer; there is, as i'm sure you've heard a number of times, a reason for it; have you ever stopped to discern what that reason may be? Have you ever focused on making an effort to fulfill the purpose for which it may be that you are suffering? These are questions that should be the priority of your considerations at the moment, and they're questions that should be raised and answered within the context of a long and sincere discussion with your spiritual adviser. Also consider that we are in the midst of the Great Lent; don't spare this opportunity to make the most of your situation. Cling to the Church, especially in this season, and I promise your spirit will be refreshed, your focus re-aligned, and you will acquire a new and divine perspective on all that you are going through.

From tonight's Vespers reading:

Psalms 27:14, 13
14 Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!.
13 I had believed That I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living. Alleluia.

Luke 12:22-31
22 Then He said to His disciples, Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. 23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? 25 And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 26 If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? 29 And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. 30 For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. 31 But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.
Glory is due to our God unto the age of all ages. Amen
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 09:21:25 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »

That was a truly beautiful post EkristosAnesti !!  Wise words for all of us to heed; especially now during the Lenten season.  I believe Unique should seek out a medical doctor if he has not done so, but to also keep praying and attending Church.  May he find contentment in God's will.

Juliana
Unique

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »

Hey this was a really good post Ekhristos. U said alot of interesting things here. I'll pm u another message.

Dear Unique,

It seems like you are seeking an easy way out of your difficulty, and that's naturally to be expected. Most of us have that mentality when we find ourselves bearing the harsh heat of one difficulty or another. Just remember, however, as was the case with the three young youth, that it was in the very midst of the flames that the Son of God was to be found. He was their balm, their comfort, their hope and their strength. I bet if we did an interview with the three youth today and asked them whether in hindsight they would've preferred to have been saved from the furnace by some miraculous intervention or whether they would've gone through the furnace again to meet the Son of God, that they would opt for the latter.

Who or what are you seeking, Unique? Are you seeking the Physician, or are you just seeking the cure? Are you seeking the Worker of miracles, or are you just seeking the miracle? Maybe God does not will for you to be released from the flames because He wants you to seek Him amidst them, for it is there that He is to be found.

Yes, the Church is blessed with many living saints who are by all means capable, by virtue of their favour before God, of healing you. You mentioned Abouna Fanous in another thread, and it cannot be denied that he has done some amazing things with many people. You mention the late Pope Kyrillos VI in this thread, and again it cannot be denied that even after his departure his intercessions work wonders. I would in no way discourage you from seeking the Saints and their assistance in this matter, but if your heart and mind are in such a condition that your concern is really just for a quick and easy fix to your problem, you may be setting yourself up to be disappointed. The Saints are not magicians, they are servants of God; they work wonders to bring salvation to others and glory to His Holy Name. It may very well be that your condition, spiritual and otherwise, is such that such a result would not be effected by some quick healing at the touch of a Saint's hand.

Ultimately, the will of God prevails. It is no accident that you suffer; there is, as i'm sure you've heard a number of times, a reason for it; have you ever stopped to discern what that reason may be? Have you ever focused on making an effort to fulfill the purpose for which it may be that you are suffering? These are questions that should be the priority of your considerations at the moment, and they're questions that should be raised and answered within the context of a long and sincere discussion with your spiritual adviser. Also consider that we are in the midst of the Great Lent; don't spare this opportunity to make the most of your situation. Cling to the Church, especially in this season, and I promise your spirit will be refreshed, your focus re-aligned, and you will acquire a new and divine perspective on all that you are going through.

From tonight's Vespers reading:

Psalms 27:14, 13
14 Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!.
13 I had believed That I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living. Alleluia.

Luke 12:22-31
22 Then He said to His disciples, Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. 23 Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? 25 And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 26 If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith? 29 And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. 30 For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. 31 But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you.
Glory is due to our God unto the age of all ages. Amen

Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »

I'm sorry, but I feel I have to comment here:

To rely upon monks who have this gift makes a mockery of God's power. "The wind blows where it wishes" (John 3:8 ), and to think that God will heal you through the monk is almost an act of bargaining - they are not magic. Those monks cannot control whom they heal, as it is all up to God. Everyone has that potential ability, if God sees that it is needed in the situation.

Don't waste the money or the time of travel, but make the most of these last moments. Better yet, use those whom God has given knowledge to: doctors. Make the most of the secrets of the body that he has made known to us.

If all professional medical personnel have failed, then pray. Just remember, a monk is not needed for a miraculous healing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 05:49:51 PM by Simayan » Logged

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »

I know I shouldn't say this, and I'll probably get banned for it, but everyone is being a little hard on the original poster here. When people are sick and in pain, they simply want to get help, ANY help any way they can. To say they're looking for "an easy way out" or that they're mocking God is brutally unfair and as someone who has suffered and still suffers with 2 major health problems, it comes across as borderline cruel. (that's how I would take it if it was said to me) There is much truth in what you speak to the original poster, but all the truth in the world does little good unless it is communicated in a loving manner. People sick and in pain need empathy not lectures on how wrong they are. I apologize for offending anyone, but people who've never suffered serious ailments in their body often have no clue what it's like to suffer on a daily basis. And if you do know what its like, then you should know at the beginning lectures and correction of mind are not what one needs. That only comes much, much later.

With all that said, my suggestion to "unique" is first of to pray....if you don't have the energy or will to pray, then ask others to pray for you. I'm sure we all will be praying for you.

Second, everyone else is right, even if you could find a living saint who has been given such a gift, God can heal you regardless. Jesus is the great physician even today. However, from a purely practical stand point, I wouldn't rely on prayer alone when it comes to your health...perhaps God will answer your prayer in other manners. And even "miraculous" healings don't always take place instantly, sometimes true miracles happen slowly over time. Go to a doctor, if you don't have or cannot afford a doctor visit a Church and talk to the priest, maybe someone in the Church can hook you up with a doctor. If an Orthodox Church can't or won't help, visit a Catholic Church..the Catholics have great ministries in this regard. If a Catholic Church won't help, visit a protestant Church, if they won't help then God have mercy on us all.

Unique, I'm going to PM you as well, just don't give up, and don't rely on finding a saintly monk to heal you, because they probably dont exist..(not all saints were given the gift of healing after all)

also you can pray to departed saints who are known for healing, St. Nektarios, even Pope Kyrilios even though he isn't officially canonized yet.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

I know I shouldn't say this, and I'll probably get banned for it,
We actually encourage posters to speak their minds in an appropriate manner as you have done, so don't worry that you're going to get banned for this.  You're not. Smiley

but everyone is being a little hard on the original poster here.
How so?  I just don't see this.  In fact, I see the advice given by EkhristosAnesti as some of the best, most pastorally minded counsel anyone could hope to see on this forum, and I'm not the only one who has voiced this.  It's not about changing one's way of thinking so that they abandon the pursuit of healing altogether; it's about seeing personal healing at a much deeper level than just the superficial relief from symptoms.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

To rely upon monks who have this gift makes a mockery of God's power. "The wind blows where it wishes" (John 3:8 ), and to think that God will heal you through the monk is almost an act of bargaining - they are not magic. Those monks cannot control whom they heal, as it is all up to God. Everyone has that potential ability, if God sees that it is needed in the situation.
So, those who sought healing from the Apostles Peter, John, and Paul, or from Paul's handkerchief, or from Peter's shadow, and this while they yet walked this earth, were making a mockery of God's power?  If someone were to seek healing from one of these Apostles, do you think he would have turned the person away with such logic as you have used here?  If someone wants to seek healing from a holy monk, let's not turn her away; rather, let us encourage such acts of faith in God who works wonders through His [yet living] saints.
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:15:12 PM »

It is a mockery of God to feel that monks offer some magical cure for ailments, and that their powers will always work, no matter what. I do not doubt that healings occur, but I hate to see people travel to distant lands and be crushed emotionally by a miracle that did not happen.

Also, there were no surgeons/doctors during the time of Apostles. Perhaps barbers who could remove teeth, but certainly not the advanced medicine we have today. THOSE advances are a direct gift from God, just as gifts of healing are. But just because Jesus healed people, does that mean we should drag children suffering from leukemia to Mt. Athos? People worked with what they were given, and now that we are given something much more significant, we use these new gifts to heal ailments.

Now, as I said, if all medical treatments have failed, then prayer is the best alternative. I, however, still place hope in experimental treatments combined with that prayer for the most successful outcome.

Of course, this is all in my very honest opinion.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Unique

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »

NorthernPines and PeterTheAleut said it perfectly. U guys summed it up correctly. What u guys said was the truth and straight to the point.
NorthernPines
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:47:04 PM »

How so?  I just don't see this.  In fact, I see the advice given by EkhristosAnesti as some of the best, most pastorally minded counsel anyone could hope to see on this forum, and I'm not the only one who has voiced this.  It's not about changing one's way of thinking so that they abandon the pursuit of healing altogether; it's about seeing personal healing at a much deeper level than just the superficial relief from symptoms.

I was thinking of specific comments like making a mockery of God (though after reading follow ups I have a clearer picture of what the person meant, even if I dont totally agree) and the comment of finding "an easy way out" and how the 3 youths after the fact would choose to go through the furnace once again. Yes I'm sure they would, but people only come to these realizations after the fact . . . almost never during, unless they're a saint of course.

I guess all I meant was that it's easy to say these types of things, but no matter how true they are, when someone is in the midst of the fire, those words often do little to encourage or help. Sometimes the only thing that comforts is to know that Christ suffer's with us and we with Him because He became one of us. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense...but it's the best I can. Cheesy

I suppose it's irrelevent at this point since Unique got the point of what was being said, so in this case I stand correct. I just know I would have taken the comments the wrong way if the shoe was on the other foot, but Unique understood the message and that's all the matters.

Jimmy
Maronite

Faith: Maronite Catholic

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »

EkhristosAnesti's post was truely an amazing post and it applies to all of us in a way.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 04:51:17 PM »

EkhristosAnesti's post was truely an amazing post and it applies to all of us in a way.

Unique....

Please heed the inspired words of our good brother EkhristosAnesti (EA) (as well as all who posted in like manner). God's message has been clearly offered to you and all of us as a reminder of what really matters as demonstrated through the EA's post.

When we are sick and desperate we sometimes run without thought of our direction. It is hard to be mindful.

I am sorry that you are suffering.

God help you.

What EA's post has offered through God's grace is 'hard medicine'. But 'medicine' indeed.

I suggest ... take it!

And we shall all pray that God directs your health care professionals and heal you of what ails you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 05:00:08 PM by Amdetsion » Logged

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »

Try finding a Holy Icon thats myrrh streaming in a eastern orthodox church,, there known for there healing properties...there has to be some around in the u.s.a ....some one here may know were one is close to you....
God Grant you Healing Body and soul.......stanislav
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:21:14 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 08:53:01 PM »

I'm praying for you too, Unique. Trusting you will find healing of body and soul in Christ Who is the Great Physician...how well I understand your desperate plea...how well...May God help you!!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »

Dear Unique,

I hope and pray that you are healed by the power of God: through prayer, through medicine or both. 

May the Lord Jesus Christ shine His Holy face upon you, may the intercession and prayer of our Lady, the Holy Virgin Mary overshadow you; may the prayer of St. John the Baptist be with you; may the intercession of St. Tekle Haymanot guide you; may the prayer of St. Gebre Menfes Q'dus protect you; may the prayer of St. Abanoub be upon you; may the prayer of St. Mari-Mina support you and may the prayer of Pope Kyrillos VI bring the Lord's hand upon you to heal you [Amen].

*I'm sorry, but someone posted and mentioned that Pope Kyrillos VI was not canonized...I thought that the Coptic Orthodox Church canonized this great saint and his deacon, His Grace Bishop Mina?  Someone please let me know, because they are proven miracle workers.

Peace and UNIQUE, don't worry--pray with tears to your Lord and He will guide you.

Sincerely,

haileAmanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »

Stashko mentioned finding a myrrh-streaming icon with healing properties, so I would like to ask, if I may...does anyone know of such icons? Could you please tell us about them and their locations. Thank you so very much!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »

The ones that are close to me are the weeping Holy icons of the Holy Virgin..one is in chicago at a albanian orthodox church on diversy ave and Narragansett  ave...the other one is in cicero the suburb a antiocean orthodox church..i don't know if they are still weeping though....stasko/stanislav

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »

Thankyou so much !!! I've also just discovered the "Lady of Sitka" icon is also known to heal...

Tags: miracles 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: