OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 08:27:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adult Baptism  (Read 3676 times) Average Rating: 0
truthseeker25

Faith: Converting to Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

I hope this wasn't already covered...

I have a quick question.

My best friend is also discerning converting with me, and he has never been baptized.  He is kind of a bigger guy, and it does not look like he would be able to fit into the font that is at Church.

How would the Church baptize him in a situation like that?

Is immersion absolutely necessary, or can baptism be accomplished through pouring?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

~Cody~
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »

This will need to be assessed by your local priest. The best solution will blend the standard practice of the Church with the practical realities of your locale. I think most clergymen would try to find a means to do full immersion, but, with the blessing of the priest and Bishop, exceptions can -- and are -- made.

Here in South Florida, with fare weather and so many available bodies of water, adult Baptisms often take place in a river, lake or in the Atlantic itself. The ocean is just over a mile from my parish, so we just drive down to the beach. A Christian witness to all those sun worshipers! Other Churches have very large containers that have been set aside for just such a purpose. I have even heard of priests here or there who have used a large water trough built for horses.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:04:57 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
truthseeker25

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »

Okay that makes sense...we live in Texas, and there is not a shortage of water.  However, I thought baptism should be performed in Church.

I also agree it would be a beautiful witness to the rest of the world to see someone baptized at a beach or lake or something similar into Christ's Church!!!

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »

Okay that makes sense...we live in Texas, and there is not a shortage of water.  However, I thought baptism should be performed in Church.

Should be, sure. If possible. But shoulds are never universal musts; they are standards to which we adhere, unless there is a reason to seek a blessing to do otherwise. As is the case in your parish, most fonts are designed with babies in mind, so, when the situation presents itself, which is preferable: Baptism by aspersion in the nave of a Church, or baptism by immersion elsewhere? After all, the Rus' were all baptized in the Dnieper -- not to mention our Lord in the Jordan!

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
truthseeker25

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »

I totally understand...no arguments from me Grin

I am sure either way it would be beautiful.

I'm so very happy that I have the blessing of traveling this road with my best friend.  I am happy that God is calling both of us to Orthodoxy...its nice to not have to walk alone.

~Cody~
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »

I also agree it would be a beautiful witness to the rest of the world to see someone baptized at a beach or lake or something similar into Christ's Church!!!

Just out of curiosity, where in Texas are you?  There are a number of us on the board scattered around the Lone Star Republic.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »

According to the Didache:

"Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before."

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 02:11:30 PM »

I live in Texas and we use a water trough originally meant for horses (It was new and never used for horses however) that has been painted white with a gold cross stenciled on it.  We have never had a complaint. Our Mother Church, St Elias in Austin  had a priest who actually had an outdoor font made to baptize adults as he had so many adult baptisms. I have seen swimming pools, creeks, rivers,lakes, and one time even a whirlpool used it seems that where there is a will and desire to be baptized, our great priests will find a way!

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:13:57 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »

According to the Didache:

Yep. Rivers were actually the first preference at that point.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »

I live in Texas and we use a water trough originally meant for horses (It was new and never used for horses however) that has been painted white with a gold cross stenciled on it.  We have never had a complaint. Our Mother Church, St Elias in Austin  had a priest who actually had an outdoor font made to baptize adults as he had so many adult baptisms. I have seen swimming pools, creeks, rivers,lakes, and one time even a whirlpool used it seems that where there is a will and desire to be baptized, our great priests will find a way!

Thomas

Hmm...right now we're using an unpainted one in SA.  Maybe I should suggest to Father that we paint the thing.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »

At my usual parish we have a rather nice indoor font amply large enough to baptize adults.  The other parish that I occasion has a portable indoor font on account of them not owning their own church building yet, and it also is quite nice and primarily designed for baptizing adults.

In Canada we tend to prefer to baptize indoors on account of the -30degrees outside in the winter.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:25:30 PM by Marc Hanna » Logged
truthseeker25

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »

I too am in Austin!  Cool!

I have been to St. Elias several times, however, we (my roommate and I) attend Transfiguration.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 04:06:38 PM »

I hope this wasn't already covered...

I have a quick question.

My best friend is also discerning converting with me, and he has never been baptized.  He is kind of a bigger guy, and it does not look like he would be able to fit into the font that is at Church.

How would the Church baptize him in a situation like that?

Is immersion absolutely necessary, or can baptism be accomplished through pouring?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

~Cody~

Did you see the movie "my big fat greek wedding"?

I think they baptized an older person.

I don't know how we do it for adults. I know how we did it in the ancient past (first 4 or 5 centuries)....but I don't know about now.

Well....wait.....I know how it's suppose to be.....but I don't know what is done when a church only has a baby bowl/font to baptize in.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:08:01 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »

I totally understand...no arguments from me Grin

I am sure either way it would be beautiful.

I'm so very happy that I have the blessing of traveling this road with my best friend.  I am happy that God is calling both of us to Orthodoxy...its nice to not have to walk alone.

~Cody~

Amen. I share your joy......are you coming in around the time of Pascha?

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »

We have a large baptistry for adults in our church. Couldn't the baptism take place in a local river or something?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 05:20:21 PM »

Hello there Truthseeker,   

I also attend Transfiguration GO in Austin.   It is such a beautiful church!  I am sure that Father Jordan has done some adult baptisms...he was able to baptize me and my children out at Holy Archangels Monastery (Kendalia, Tx) where they have an enormous baptismal container.  God bless you on your journey.  You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Juliana Smiley
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 05:54:54 PM »

Thomas

We do the same at All Saints in Chicago.  It's had a lot of use, btw.  For baptisms I mean, not horses.

Baptising in the Chicago River would be a combination baptism and funeral service.  I've always said, if I fell off a bridge here, I hoped I'd die before hitting the water.  Yekkhh.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
truthseeker25

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

Amen. I share your joy......are you coming in around the time of Pascha?

JNORM888

not sure yet...just met with Father for the first time last night.  However, I started my journey about a year ago and then I got "cold feet" and didn't go through with the full conversion process.  Now, my life has changed quite a bit and I am tired of "running from God" and I am ready to come home!

~Cody~
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

I too am in Austin!  Cool!

I have been to St. Elias several times, however, we (my roommate and I) attend Transfiguration.

Another Austinite! I attend Transfiguration sometimes. It is a wonderful parish and the choir is the best I've heard. OK, so I've only been to three Orthodox parishes, but they are pretty good. I wish you the best as you work with Fr. Jordan on preparing to enter the church.
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: