OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:47:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Christian Eschatology Association  (Read 1924 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:22 PM »

I thought this would be the best place to put this since my question has to do with The Orthodox Christian Eschatology Association at http://orthodoxendtimes.com/ and not eschatology itself.  Mods, if I goofed, feel free to move it where it belongs.  That being said, has anyone heard of this organization?  Are they legit?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »

They don't connect themselves to any one church or organization, according to their website.  No names are placed on it.  I would be VERY VERY suspicious if I were you. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »

Given their address in Scottsdale, AZ, they could be affiliated with one of the monasteries of Elder Ephraim - specifically, St. Anthony's.  One of their links specifically includes St. Anthony's Monastery and provides the telephone number for the monastery.  The website is also very old and outdated since they haven't bothered updating the links to St. Anthony's Monastery although someone pays the domain fees to keep the site up and running for those interested in the Eschatology of the Orthodox faith and cannot bring themselves to read Revelation.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:19:31 AM »

Could be ...or not. St Anthony's website is up to date (man, that seems so weird...I know, I know, monasteries DO have websites, but it sounds so modernist  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:10:02 PM »

Given their address in Scottsdale, AZ, they could be affiliated with one of the monasteries of Elder Ephraim - specifically, St. Anthony's.  One of their links specifically includes St. Anthony's Monastery and provides the telephone number for the monastery.  The website is also very old and outdated since they haven't bothered updating the links to St. Anthony's Monastery although someone pays the domain fees to keep the site up and running for those interested in the Eschatology of the Orthodox faith and cannot bring themselves to read Revelation.

Careful... check it out before deciding. The suggesteed connection may be one-sided.

My family found Orthodoxy through a similar situation. Dad met a guy at work that sounded good, and talked a great line. Said he was connected to a nearby Monestary. Mom and Dad were intrigued but thought some of what he said sounded a bit odd and strange. They went to the Monastary. The monks explained. The guy was NOT connected with them and further more, his info was not accurate to Orthodoxy (translation- he was a Nut). My parents, now feeling cautious, new of the existance of a Greek Cathedral.  They called the Catherdal just to be sure, and the authenticity of the Monastary was verified. My parents returned to the mission served by the Monastary for more information, and well, the rest is history.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

Careful... check it out before deciding. The suggesteed connection may be one-sided.

My family found Orthodoxy through a similar situation. Dad met a guy at work that sounded good, and talked a great line. Said he was connected to a nearby Monestary. Mom and Dad were intrigued but thought some of what he said sounded a bit odd and strange. They went to the Monastary. The monks explained. The guy was NOT connected with them and further more, his info was not accurate to Orthodoxy (translation- he was a Nut). My parents, now feeling cautious, new of the existance of a Greek Cathedral.  They called the Catherdal just to be sure, and the authenticity of the Monastary was verified. My parents returned to the mission served by the Monastary for more information, and well, the rest is history.

Elder Ephraim and his followers follow a charismatic type of Orthodox monasticism which can be beneficial or dangerous - almost to cult-like status.  Note that the guy talking to the poster's father said that he was "connected" to a nearby Monastery which means that he was the lay connection between the Monastery, the outside world and the Church (which explains why the Monastery denied his existence while the Church acknowledged the existence of the Monastery).  The following quote presents items not usually associated with Orthodox monasticism or the Orthodox faith in general.

While devoting myself to my spiritual father there, a man named Fr. (or Geronda) Paisios, I was taught in confession that Jews are united in a conspiracy to destroy Orthodox Christianity, that man never landed on the moon, that my death and martyrdom was most likely imminent, that abstaining from sexual relations with my wife for the rest of my life was the only way to reach "theoria". I was shown an icon which depicted Martin Luther, the Pope, and Muhammad drowning in water outside of a boat that represented the Orthodox Church. I was told that America embodied the "satanic Western mindset" and needed to be "purged" by devout Orthodox Christians. I witnessed the mental and physical abuse of children at the hands of their parents who were disciples at St. Anthony's and acting on their spiritual father's teachings. I was taught to whip myself with electrical chord to "discipline" my flesh and many other harmful and destructive things. 

from http://pseudo-prophet.tripod.com/index.html
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »

The following quote presents items not usually associated with Orthodox monasticism or the Orthodox faith in general.

While devoting myself to my spiritual father there, a man named Fr. (or Geronda) Paisios, I was taught in confession that Jews are united in a conspiracy to destroy Orthodox Christianity, that man never landed on the moon, that my death and martyrdom was most likely imminent, that abstaining from sexual relations with my wife for the rest of my life was the only way to reach "theoria". I was shown an icon which depicted Martin Luther, the Pope, and Muhammad drowning in water outside of a boat that represented the Orthodox Church. I was told that America embodied the "satanic Western mindset" and needed to be "purged" by devout Orthodox Christians. I witnessed the mental and physical abuse of children at the hands of their parents who were disciples at St. Anthony's and acting on their spiritual father's teachings. I was taught to whip myself with electrical chord to "discipline" my flesh and many other harmful and destructive things. 

[/quote]

Sadly, many elements of the above sound all too familiar...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:35:49 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »

Somewhere, somehow, I remember seeing a very strong online refutation of this slanderous claim.

Here's one such site:  http://www.athosinamerica.org/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:20:46 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »

Somewhere, somehow, I remember seeing a very strong online refutation of this slanderous claim.

I've seen a number of sites in defense of the Ephraim monasteries as well except that there have been more stories of the cult-like influences.

My hunch is that the Archdiocese has instructed the Metropolitans to keep these monasteries in check for fear of losing pilgrimages - my relatives visit the Ephraim monastery in Roscoe, New York a few times a year.

Just because one believes that a cult cannot exist in Orthodoxy does not mean that someone can try to establish a cult, replacing Christ with oneself.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »

I've seen a number of sites in defense of the Ephraim monasteries as well except that there have been more stories of the cult-like influences.
Have you investigated these stories to see where they're coming from?  Sheer volume alone (more stories on the side of falsehood than on the side of truth) does not make a story more credible.  Maybe those who talked of Elder Ephraim's "cult-like" influence were merely the more vocal.

My hunch is that the Archdiocese has instructed the Metropolitans to keep these monasteries in check for fear of losing pilgrimages - my relatives visit the Ephraim monastery in Roscoe, New York a few times a year.
And what does your hunch mean if it is merely a response to slander?  Do you really know anything about these monasteries except what you've read from those who have launched an online smear campaign?

Just because one believes that a cult cannot exist in Orthodoxy does not mean that someone can try to establish a cult, replacing Christ with oneself.
True.  But is it possible that one may devote himself to a cult-like following of a particular figure who does not want this following?  After all, many of the Lystran locals wanted to worship St. Paul as though he were Hermes (along with St. Barnabas, whom they acclaimed as Zeus), yet Paul and Barnabas would not allow them to do so.  (cf. Acts 14:8-18)

ps. To show such disrespect to Elder Ephraim as to drop the title "Elder" from his name diminishes your credibility here.  Please get yourself in the habit of referring to our bishops, priests, and abbots by their formal titles and not by their names only.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »

ps. To show such disrespect to Elder Ephraim as to drop the title "Elder" from his name diminishes your credibility here.  Please get yourself in the habit of referring to our bishops, priests, and abbots by their formal titles and not by their names only.

My sincere apologies and I'll restrain my speech while trying to get across my points by using the proper terms of address.

I have my "gut feeling" about these monasteries based on what I've read and what my relatives have told me.  I have never visited a monastery and I admit that I'm a relative unknown when dealing with monasticism.  I'm actually hesitant to visit a monastery based on the stories that I've read about cult-like personas and the like.

I do not want to think that the Elder Ephraim has defined Orthodox Christian monasticism in the United States.  I'll concede that the monastics have done an excellent job with church music and other efforts.  Put it another way, not many of David Koresh's followers lived to tell about life inside the commune and I'm under the belief that the government ought to have left David Koresh alone.  With the followers of Elder Ephraim - there are few people who tell their experiences whether good or bad.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »

Here's one such site:  http://www.athosinamerica.org/

No one has posted anything in 6 years; However, someone finds a way to keep the domain running.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: