OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 12:05:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry languages  (Read 3465 times) Average Rating: 0
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« on: May 10, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

When I get upset, angry, sad, frustrated, drunk, or just really tired, my mind starts thinking in French and sometimes I even speak to people in French without realizing that it isn't English until they don't understand me. I guess this would make sense if French was my first language, but it isn't! I have been speaking French most of my life though; I began learning when I was 4.  So, it isn't a chore for me to speak or anything, but still, it's odd that when I am really emotional, I automatically switch to French.  Does this happen to anyone else? Just curious...

This also raises questions for me about languages and the workings of the human brain...Does anyone know more about how language is related to how we think?  My own grandmother eventually forgot her native language as after she left home at age 18, she was never in an environment where it was spoken again.  That is odd, I think.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:56:37 PM by zebu » Logged

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:30 PM »

When I get upset, angry, sad, frustrated, drunk, or just really tired, my mind starts thinking in French and sometimes I even speak to people in French without realizing that it isn't English until they don't understand me. I guess this would make sense if French was my first language, but it isn't! I have been speaking French most of my life though; I began learning when I was 4.  So, it isn't a chore for me to speak or anything, but still, it's odd that when I am really emotional, I automatically switch to French.  Does this happen to anyone else? Just curious...

This also raises questions for me about languages and the workings of the human brain...Does anyone know more about how language is related to how we think?  My own grandmother eventually forgot her native language as after she left home at age 18, she was never in an environment where it was spoken again.  That is odd, I think.

The linguists I know would say it is impossible to forget one's native language. It can go dormant but it will always come back given the right circumstances. Don't know if that is true though or a debatable point. Any linguists want to comment?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »

Well...then maybe "forget" isn't exactly the correct term. My grandma couldn't recall any of her first language off hand at the age of 84, but maybe if she were in the right environment it would have come back. It's hard to say.  Not many opportunities to speak Scottish Gaelic in America.

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »

There is a scientific term for speaking in a tongue (or tongues) - glossolalia.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:58:13 AM »

The linguists I know would say it is impossible to forget one's native language. It can go dormant but it will always come back given the right circumstances. Don't know if that is true though or a debatable point. Any linguists want to comment?
I'm no liguist, but I think you really can forget certain words when you're living in another country that speaks a different language.  My girlfriend has lived here for about 2.5 years and has forgotten some words already.  Who knows, in another 25 years, if she doesn't speak Romanian to anyone, maybe she will forget it.  I doubt that will happen because when we're married and have children, she wants to teach them Romanian.  Probably so they can laugh at their goofy dad. Tongue Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:38:20 PM »

when I get angry I tend to revert back to my native language (Serbian).  However, in random conversation I tend to drift back and forth between several languages. 

Also, I believe that German is definitely the most "harsh" sounding language, and one that definitely sounds angry... Grin Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

When I get angry I usually find myself speaking in Arabic, and Arabic is not my native language, but my parents'.

I remember listening to a stand-up Arab comedian who related to his story of his uncle in Jordan cussing in English because God only knows Arabic.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:58:03 PM »

I remember listening to a stand-up Arab comedian who related to his story of his uncle in Jordan cussing in English because God only knows Arabic.

I know the concept.  In the sub-culture my mom and her family come from, you use Turkish when cussing.  It's like that somehow makes it extra bad.  Also, Armenian is too "clean" a language to use it for bad expressions.   Smiley  Whatever.  That doesn't stop my mom from using a few choice words in Armenian sometimes. 

prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »

Greek is a beautiful language for cursing and praising lol and my grandfather used to show God bless his soul.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:33:05 AM by prodromas » Logged

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »

Very interesting, Zebu!

I am bilingual (Ukrainian-Russian), and I, too, find myself preferentially speak one of these two languages in particular situations (be it speaking aloud or thinking). Cussing, indeed, works "better" in Russian than in Ukrainian. On the other hand, speaking tenderly to wife or child or pet works better in Ukrainian.

Love never fails.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:41:08 AM »

While I'm not a linguist, I did study linguistics during my studies in anthropology for my undergrad.  The idea that you'll never truly forget one's native tongue is very strong, but it's very possibly to temporarily forget how to speak it if one does not use it readily.  My German teacher in high school spent a considerable amount of time in Germany  after graduating from college and managed to not speak or even read English for almost four years.  She met some American tourists on a train at one point and they refused to believe she was an American because she had trouble speaking English with ease.  She actually likened it to what it must feel like for her son, who has autism.  It was very frustrating because she knew what to say but it just wasn't coming out properly and once you lose that confidence you tend to "forget" more.

Vocabularly, of course, are different than knowing how to speak a language and it's entirely possible to forget words through disuse.  Popular theory still holds, though, that they're still in your brain somewhere and can be accessed through continued use.  I would bet that if zebu's grandmother, for instance, was given something to read in Scottish Gaelic that she would understand it after a read through a few times even if she previously couldn't remember many of the words in the article offhand.  I tend to do that regarding German.  I don't use it nearly enough to carry on a conversation with someone but if some reading material in German is put in front of me I can usually get through it pretty easily.  Of course, if I actually read the Suedeutsche Zeitung everyday, I'd probably be alot more capable auf Deutsch.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »

^I grew up in a family where parents and grandparents were equals as far as the time and effort in taking care of me were concerned; and my granddad spoke only Ukrainian to me, while my two grandmothers and two parents spoke only Russian. When I was in ~7th grade, my granddad suddenly switched in his conversations with me to his very poor, erratic Russian (it was in the early 1970's when the Soviet government in UKraine started a crackdown campaign on the "Ukrainian nationalism," many Ukrainian-speaking intellectuals were imprisoned and my gramps probably just freaked out). So, beginnig from the age of ~13 till the age of ~24, all the way through my senior secondary school years, and my university years, I never spoke Ukrainian (other than during the Ukrainian language and literature classes at school) and never heard it spoken to me... Yet, I kept reading Ukrainian - we had wonderful Ukrainian translations of the Western classics, published in literary magazines like "Dinpro" and "Vsesvit." And then, in the graduate school, I met my wife who was from a Western Ukrainian family of staunch resisters to Russification, devout Ukrainian speakers. And she tried to speak Ukrainian to me, and I... bit the bait. And it went so smoothly, and so naturally.And we still speak only Ukrainian to each other, and to our daughter. Now, the only time I speak Russian is when I talk on the phone to my mom, once a week, on Saturdays, for about 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:09:45 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 10:07:47 PM »

Heorhij, how different is Russian from Ukrainian? Are they still mutually intelligible?

Are they more different, than say, English spoken in Minnesota vs. Mississippi?  Grin
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:45:09 PM »

Also, I believe that German is definitely the most "harsh" sounding language, and one that definitely sounds angry... Grin Grin

Obviously you've never heard Malayalam.  It can compete.   

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: