OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:29:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversions in Philipines  (Read 89686 times) Average Rating: 5
Bruce in Iloilo

Faith: Roman Catholic (Anglican Use)

« Reply #450 on: July 22, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »

This is a bit off-topic, at least judging from the selection of replies that I read, but I live in the Philippines, just joined the forum and wanted to say "Hi".  

I hope to attend an Orthodox service or two soon since my interest in liturgy has grown over the years and I have only attended one Orthodox, or rather Eastern service (a Greek Catholic one in Boston).  

One reason for my interest is my conversion from the Episcopal Church (USA) to the Roman Catholic church several years ago and in those years I have tried to stay active in Anglican Use circles.  With the announcement of the coming Anglican Ordinariates within the Catholic Church, there has been more interest in Anglican Use and a few of us are trying to put together a small AU group here in the Philippines.

I hope too to learn some more about the Orthodox perspective on various issues.  I have read a bit on Orthodoxy especially from Frederica Mathewes-Greene, a feminist pro-lifer, wife of a priest, and Orthodox convert from Anglicanism, which I enjoyed and found deepened by faith.

According to the Board Policy we should not describe Eastern Rite Catholics in the way you did as it can be received as an offence. BTW welcome to the forum.

mike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:40:12 AM by mike » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #451 on: July 24, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »

Welcome, Bruce!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
onesimuscruz

« Reply #452 on: December 05, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

is there anybody who could confirm if the Davao vicariate under Fr. Jeptha Aniceto was officially received into ROCOR? Their list in the Philippines parishes in the antiochian orthodox australian website seemed deleted.
What happened?
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #453 on: December 05, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »

This website may be helpful: http://saintpetrocmissionarysociety.blogspot.com
onesimuscruz

« Reply #454 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:08 AM »

thank you.
FrMichael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »

Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR missions in the Philippines by his Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion in writing last year.  ROCOR has two operating missions in the Philippines, both under Saint Petroc Monastery.  We have no connection with any other jurisdiction in the Philippines and we do not acknowledge anyone's suzerainty there it is a missionary area.

Fr. Michael
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »

We have no connection with any other jurisdiction in the Philippines

Is that the thing to be proud of?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
CCTE

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #457 on: February 11, 2011, 03:12:04 PM »

Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR

Why?

Sorry if my English is not perfect
philip xavier

come,Lord Jesus!

« Reply #458 on: February 12, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »

Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR missions in the Philippines.

That leads to more questions and blank walls of silence.

Hope the ROCOR mission moves fast toward North of the Philippines. Its indeed a vast mission area, and the grains are ready for harvest.

Lets pray for more harvesters...Lord have mercy..

Lord have mercy.
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #459 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:58 AM »

Joseph Aniceto was officially excluded from ROCOR missions in the Philippines.

That leads to more questions and blank walls of silence.

Hope the ROCOR mission moves fast toward North of the Philippines. Its indeed a vast mission area, and the grains are ready for harvest.

Lets pray for more harvesters...Lord have mercy..

For information re the ROCOR western rite missions in the Philippines, which claims 200 plus souls ( originating and released from Antioch, I read) see: http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com/698-2/

Saint Thomas Orthodox Mission[/b]

Mindanao, the Philippines   

Thomas, the faithful servant and disciple of Christ, filled with divine grace, cried out from the depth of his love: You are my Lord and my God!

The Saint Thomas Mission is a thriving Orthodox community of 140 former Old Catholics who entered the Church in 2008 through Antioch and, after obtaining canonical release, were later received by ROCOR with the blessing of Metropolitan Hilarion.  They, and their pastor, whom they refer to as Father from habit and affection (and therefore so do their brothers and sisters in Christ in England), own their own church building which they use for regular Sunday services and meetings throughout the week. The faithfulness of these people worshipping together and raising their children in the Faith without a priest of their own is an inspiring witness.  They are all Chrismated Orthodox and have for the past year received occasional visits from Orthodox clergy.  The mission is in the middle of an area where the moslem Abbu Sayyef terrorists operate and no Priest serving this mission visiting from Australia will be named or have his schedule known.

Advice on travel and terrorism in the Philippines from the Australian government

“We strongly advise you not to travel to Mindanao, including mainland Mindanao, the Zamboanga Peninsula and the Sulu Archipelago, due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, including kidnapping, and related counter-terrorism operations.   Armed clashes between Philippine security forces and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front could occur without warning, including in central Mindanao”.

St Thomas' traditionally built church.

Some of the faithful of St Thomas’ Mission who came as a family to the fullness of Christ in Holy Orthodoxy.

Interior of the church.

As you can see there are many children and young people, please pray particularly for them that they continue to be blessed to grow up in the Orthodox Church.
Saint Anastasia Orthodox Mission

Mimndanao, the Philippines

This formerly Old Catholic mission is without its own pastor, with only some lay leaders and occasional visits from Orthodox clergy.  About eighty people, it incorporated as a ROCOR mission and is searching for a property to use for worship.

Jeptah Aguas Aniceto and Chrysostom Canezal

We realise that the activities of these two have caused legitimate concern and remind you that they have been formally excluded from involvement in the Philippines Missions by the Metropolitan at Fr Michael’s request. The formal document of exclusion has been circulated in the Philippines, the original is held in Saint Petroc Monastery.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Orthoconvert71
Convert to Eastern Orthodox Christianity/transition between jurisdictions

Faith: Convert to Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Transition between jurisdictions

Newbie-convert

« Reply #460 on: May 20, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »

Greetings in Christ:

I am happy to hear that their are Orthodox Christians in the Philipines and they are under the Patriarchate of Antioch. 

I work with people from the Philipines. Smiley

May God bless the converts to the Antiochian Orthodox Church and may God bless Metropolitan Philip.

In Christ,
Joe Bettencourt
Orthoconvert71
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #461 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »

You mean Metropolitan Paul, don't you?

Welcome to the forum!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthoconvert71

Newbie-convert

« Reply #462 on: May 20, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »

My apologies----I've been out of the loop lately.   Was Metropolitan Phililp retired recently? 

Sorry....Trying to get into the loop again.

In Christ,
Joe Bettencourt
Orthoconvert71
Orthoconvert71

Newbie-convert

« Reply #463 on: May 20, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »

Thank you for welcoming me.

Welcome to the forum!

In Christ,
Joe Bettencourt
Orthoconvert71
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #464 on: May 20, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »

AFAIR Metropolitan Philip is the Antiochian Metropolitan of North America and Metropolitan Paul is the Antiochian Metropolitan of Australia. They are not realted despite their share a family name.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthoconvert71

Newbie-convert

« Reply #465 on: May 20, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

I meant blessings for the both of them.  Yes, Metropolitan Paul (Saliba) is head of the jurisidciton in the Philipines, if I have understood this correctly.  May God bless bless him.

Welcome to the forum!

In Christ,
Joe Bettencourt
Orthoconvert71
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #466 on: May 20, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »

AFAIR Metropolitan Philip is the Antiochian Metropolitan of North America and Metropolitan Paul is the Antiochian Metropolitan of Australia. They are not realted despite their share a family name.

Are you sure? I've heard they were cousins of some sort.
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2011, 02:50:53 AM »

Are you sure? I've heard they were cousins of some sort.

Michal - I believe that originated on OrthodoxWiki a while back and, after some time on there (and the enquiries of an American priest, IIRC), was corrected. See: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Paul_%28Saliba%29_of_Australia%2C_New_Zealand_and_the_Philippines

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »

Oh, thanks.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #469 on: November 05, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »

Why is this a sticky?  Sorry, too lazy to read through a dozen pages :p
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #470 on: January 17, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »

_Seraphim_, thank you for the link. Do you know, or can you, please, get information, what rite are they using on the Philippines? Is it still Roman Catholic Novus Ordo Missae or have they turned to one of the Orthodox Liturgies, Eastern or Western?

To answer that, the Ecumenical Patriarchate here, uses Eastern Rites, while the Antiochian Church, uses Western Rites and even uses the Roman Catholic Calendar (or at least I found out that they do)..

Metropolitan Paul told me in July that his parishes in the Philippines use the Byzantine Rite.

Fr. John W. Morris
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2014, 12:35:59 AM »

Pictures of the current Churches in the Philippines in case there is interest:  police

Sunday of Orthodoxy, at the Annunciation Cathedral (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

Feast of the Annunciation. (St. Mary's Chapel, Antiochian Archdiocese of AU and NZ)

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
Tags: Filipino Orthodox Manila Orthodox Antiochian Filipinos Philippines missions EP Bashing 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: