Author Topic: 50 Years: GOC America History (Video)  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
50 Years: GOC America History (Video)
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:48:28 AM »
Dear in Christ,

I thought some of you might be interested in the following video that our diocese has posted online. It is a documentary of the founding of St Markella's Cathedral and the life of Metropolitan Petros of Astoria, the first resident bishop in America for the Greek Old Calendar Church.  It is a collage of photos and footage of him serving at St Markella's and with various ROCOR hierarchs at St Markella's and in Russian parishes.

The video is broken into two parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moENYpcpKDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5nKe22liCk

In Christ,

Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: 50 Years: GOC America History (Video)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
You should mention that in the beginning the commentary is in Greek... It may come as a shock for someone expecting some sort of chant music or English narrator speaking softly in the background (*chuckle*).

They look like great videos (ok, I've only seen the first one).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:31:50 AM by cleveland »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »
The first minute or so has some Greek dialogue between my Metropolitan and Metropolitan Petros about how he decided to go to Mount Athos, but then it is just chant with footage.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:23:18 PM by Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
The first minute or so has some Greek dialogue between my Metropolitan and Metropolitan Petros about how he decided to go to Mount Athos, but then it is just chant with footage.

The dialogue sounds interesting, actually.  You should have someone translate it so the others here can hear it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:23:34 PM by Anastasios »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.