OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New book on the history of the euthanasia movement  (Read 921 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus

« on: June 28, 2003, 06:52:02 PM »

I believe this may interest folks here. I'm a few chapters into Ian Dowbiggin's A Merciful End: The Euthanasia Movement in Modern America and finding it quite informative. Here's a review of the book by Wesley J. Smith who has authored books on the subject (Culture of Death and Forced Exit) and is, if I recall correctly, closely related to a Kevorkian victim.
Irenaeus

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 10:23:42 PM »

I finished this book a few nights back. While I had a quibble or three, I found the book quite informative. One point it stamped into my gray matter is that the eugenic, birth control and euthanasia movements have been closely allied. Another is that the euthanasia movement is riven into factions, some supporting only passive euthanasia (withdrawing feeding tubes, e.g.), some supporting active euthanasia (administering a lethal injection to expedite death, e.g.), and some supporting not only active euthanasia but active euthanasia of unwilling humans.

Beware!
Irenaeus

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 10:40:24 PM »

Oh! I should add that the Catholic Church, according to this history, has been the greatest opponent of the euthanasia movement.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: