Author Topic: New book on the history of the euthanasia movement  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Irenaeus

• William Possidento, Realtor®
New book on the history of the euthanasia movement
« on: June 28, 2003, 06:52:02 PM »
I believe this may interest folks here. I'm a few chapters into Ian Dowbiggin's A Merciful End: The Euthanasia Movement in Modern America and finding it quite informative. Here's a review of the book by Wesley J. Smith who has authored books on the subject (Culture of Death and Forced Exit) and is, if I recall correctly, closely related to a Kevorkian victim.

Offline Irenaeus

Finished this a few nights ago.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 10:23:42 PM »
I finished this book a few nights back. While I had a quibble or three, I found the book quite informative. One point it stamped into my gray matter is that the eugenic, birth control and euthanasia movements have been closely allied. Another is that the euthanasia movement is riven into factions, some supporting only passive euthanasia (withdrawing feeding tubes, e.g.), some supporting active euthanasia (administering a lethal injection to expedite death, e.g.), and some supporting not only active euthanasia but active euthanasia of unwilling humans.

Beware!

Offline Irenaeus

Oh! I should add that...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 10:40:24 PM »
Oh! I should add that the Catholic Church, according to this history, has been the greatest opponent of the euthanasia movement.