OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 03:17:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engish Translation of the Ethopian Orthodox Bible  (Read 11178 times) Average Rating: 0
Irenaeus07

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:14 PM »

I was wondering , is there an English Translation fo the Ethopian Orthodox bible???
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:40:19 PM »

According to reply #10 in the thread below, there is no English translation of the Bible used by the Ethiopian Orthodox.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,301.0.html

For more information about the Ethiopian Bible, this is a good link:

http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/english/canonical/books.html

Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »

I think there is no translation into English for good reason . . . because it would be the translation of a translation of a translation of a translation - Greek>Coptic>Abyssinian>English.  There is already enough contraversy regarding which manuscripts and translations are the most reliable, let's no throw another one into the mix Smiley.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:19:32 PM »

I was wondering , is there an English Translation fo the Ethopian Orthodox bible???

Yeah, but it's Protestant

JNORM888

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »

I think there is no translation into English for good reason . . . because it would be the translation of a translation of a translation of a translation - Greek>Coptic>Abyssinian>English.  There is already enough contraversy regarding which manuscripts and translations are the most reliable, let's no throw another one into the mix Smiley.

I read that the Geez translation came straight from the Syraic.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Ethiopians like the word "Abyssinian".

JNORM888
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:22:22 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Irenaeus07

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »

Yeah, but it's Protestant

JNORM888

Where can you get it??? It would nice to have?Huh
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »

Where can you get it??? It would nice to have?Huh

I'll get back to you on this. From what my Godfather said. It only has 66 books in it.

JNORM888

Irenaeus07

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »

I'll get back to you on this. From what my Godfather said. It only has 66 books in it.

JNORM888

Well, I don't want it, I would like it, if it had all the books.
Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »

I read that the Geez translation came straight from the Syraic.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the Ethiopians like the word "Abyssinian".

It may be a reasonable translation then if from the Syriac, but still I would think that other translations would be much better.

I wasn't aware the term was considered derogatory, sorry if I offended anyone.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:27:18 PM by Marc Hanna » Logged
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »

Well, I don't want it, I would like it, if it had all the books.

Wait, I think the Protestant one is in Amhamric(I spelled it wrong). I don't think it's in english. 8 years ago you use to be able to read some of their books in english online. But the website doesn't work anymore.

Library of Ethiopian Texts

http://enlil.ff.cuni.cz/ethiopian/intro.htm

JNORM888
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 12:33:22 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »

I think the American Bible Society has, or at least had, an Amharic Bible.  I was under the impression, though, that it was just an Amharic translation of the Protestant Bible, using the Masoretic texts.  You may want to check with them.  They have a website.

Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »

The 81 books of the Ethiopian Bible is being translated into English. After a lot of years now I understand that it is nearing completion.

The RCC I beleive more than a century ago (most likely much longer even. I do not remember) had brought to Rome various Ethiopian Monk priests to get the the English / Latin translation of the Ethiopian Bible. They built St Stephens Chaple and monastary within the Vatican precints for the Ethiopians. I have no idea who uses this Chaple today.

The Ethiopian Fathers in 1950 permitted the Ethiopian Church use of the KJV 1611 version be used in the 'English speaking' Ethiopian Churches and Ethiopian Churches in the west in general when English bible reading is needed until the translation of the Ethiopian Bible is completed. NO other version is approved that I have heard.

"Abyssinian" is coloqial and is best used among Ethiopians only. All others are better off to simply use the term 'Ethiopian'.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Marc Hanna
Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »

"Abyssinian" is coloqial and is best used among Ethiopians only. All others are better off to simply use the term 'Ethiopian'.

Thank you for the clarification, I hate sticking my foot in my mouth.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »

The 81 books of the Ethiopian Bible is being translated into English. After a lot of years now I understand that it is nearing completion.

Is the whole thing being translated from Ge'ez, or are the common books translated from the original Greek and just those unique to the Ethiopian church from Ge'ez?
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »

Is the whole thing being translated from Ge'ez, or are the common books translated from the original Greek and just those unique to the Ethiopian church from Ge'ez?

I am sorry. I do not know the answer to this question.

I expect the whole bible.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

Dear Brothers,

How is everyone?  Thank you for allowing me to post, once again.

There is no translation of the Ethiopic scriptures as an entire manuscript (Canon).  Recently, the OLD TESTAMENT Ge'ez Version (Ethiopic Bible or me's'ha'f q'du's) of the Bible was translated into Amharic and is now available (maybe one may need an inside connection to obtain it).  I am sure that it will be for sale some time soon, if not already. THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS ALREADY TRANSLATED FROM GE'EZ TO AMHARIC.

There are books, such as the Book of Jubilees, the Book of Yodit (Judith), the Book of Sos'na (Susanna), the Prayer of Manasseh (Manasses) and the Prayer of the Three Children, that have an Ethiopic to English translation.  I am almost positive that the Ge'ez Version of the Bible was translated into German(ic). 

The Revelation of St. John (Yohannes Ra'i), the Four Gospels (Wen'gel) and the Psalms of David (ye mez'mur Da'wit) and perhaps the Book of Ezekiel were privately translated into English by Sir Roger Cowley, but I believe that their availability is very, very limited, if at all. 

The OLD TESTAMENT of the previous Amharic and Tigrinya Versions of the Bible was translated from King James Versions and Apocryphal Versions (KJV), many Ethiopians were not aware of this.  I think these translations were offered by the International Bible Society (IBS, not the disease). 

The topic of 'Abyssinnia' was discussed in another post; so I'll leave that alone for now, but I will say: Abyssinnia is typically reserved for the referencing of the nation or land. 

Thank you and may the grace of God be with you all,

haile-Amanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Tags: Canon of scriptures Ethiopian Orthodox Church liturgical languages OO Canon of Scripture 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: