OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:20:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anybody identify these songs???  (Read 2737 times) Average Rating: 0
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« on: March 24, 2008, 04:42:56 PM »

There are two songs I've been trying to identify so I can buy them, rather than just listening to MP3s I burned from a worn-out tape made from the radio back in 1986. Does anybody recognize these? I heard them on a Christian radio station:

1st song; sung by a man; haunting tune; I wonder if it's Van Stephenson, but can't find the lyrics ANYWHERE to find out for sure, and don't know the guy's work:

You only know what you want
Is that enough for you
You never gave love a chance
To show what it can do
You can't see the night for the dark
Together we'll make a new start

Ooooh

Suspicious heart, open your eyes
Suspicious heart, hear and believe
Suspicious heart, let the power of love set you free
Suspicious heart

You only know what you see
And what you tell yourself
You're just a prisoner of time
Locked in the mighty world [?]
You built up a wall so high
But it's not too late if you try

Ooooh

Suspicious heart, open your eyes

Suspicious heart, come take my hand

Open your eyes
Hear and believe
Let the power of love set you free

Suspicious heart, come take my hand

Suspicious heart
Can't you feel the power of love?
Suspicious heart......

2nd song; sung by a woman; very ethereal-sounding music:

I hear the rain falling down upon my roof
And rhythms of dancing madness
Surrounding the silent room
And it sends me up way beyond who I am
To a world of ----- mirage
Where the one I need is the one who needs me

Dream on, dream on
All the lights have faded
Dream on, dream on
And my thoughts are shaded
Dream on, dream on
By the mists of make-believe

Dream on, dream on
Off where no one finds me
Dream on, dream on
And the love that blinds me
Dream on, dream on
Is the only love I see

I float in the reverie of evening tide
It takes me and so I go along for the ride
As I close my eyes I can open my mind
To a land of fairy charades
Where the one I love is the one who loves me

Dream on, dream on
All the lights have faded
Dream on, dream on
And my thoughts are shaded
Dream on, dream on

Dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on
Is the only love I see

Dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on

Dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on
Dream on, dream on
Is the only love I see

Dream on, dream on

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »

Hey OFQ--

It is indeed Van Stephenson.
I found this information from the website http://www.melodicrock.com/reviews/reviewseurope.html:

"VAN STEPHENSON/RIGHTEOUS ANGER, SUSPICIOUS HEART
MCA RE-ISSUE
Righteous Anger 1. Modern Day Delilah 2. I Know Who You Are 3. What The Big Girls Do 4. Don't Do That 5. Others Only Dream 6. Righteous Anger 7. The Cure Will Kill You 8. You've Been Lied To Before 9. Heart Over Mind 10. All American Boy
Suspicious Heart 1. We're Doing Alright 2. Together Tonight 3. Suspicious Heart 4. Never Enough Night 5. Confidentially Yours 6. Desperate Hours 7. Dancing With Danger 8. Fist Full Of Heat 9. Make It Glamorous 10. No Secrets    Discography

* Righteous Anger
    * Suspicious Heart
    * Blackhawk - 2 Albums

R.A: Total Score 80%   Production 80%   Songs 90%   Vibe 85%   Attitude 80%
S.H: Total Score 95%   Production 90%   Songs 95%   Vibe 95%   Attitude 100%
Van Stephenson has long left the AOR fold for a life in Nashville, TN, singing new country with his band Blackhawk. But his status as a cult AOR figure will always be with us thanks to his two awesome MCA albums from 1984 & 1985.
So much has the demand been for these albums, they have finally been picked up to CD.
They are quite possibly the finest example of ballad rock ever recorded. Providing, of course, you like this style/approach. Both albums are helped along nicely by a backing band, featuring the team responsible for THE finest ever AOR stadium rock album, Giants' 'Time To Burn' - Dann Huff (guitar) and Alan Pasqua (keyboards).
For the record, Van also co-wrote most of Giant's 'Time To Burn', with Dann.
His debut album 'Righteous Anger' came out in '84, and featured the single, the lead in track 'Modern Day Delilah'. Van possesses one hell of a voice, and would give Steve Perry a run for his money any day. This is the rockier of the two albums, with only two ballads between the mix of mid pace tunes and rockers. It is impossible to highlight any track in particular, being that both albums are so strong with material. Van is surely the master AOR songwriter of our time. The second album, released late '85, goes one step further to reach AOR heaven. I am not kidding either. There is not a fault to pick on this album. It sounds as fresh today as it did ten years ago. It is even better produced and features songwriting at it's highest level. 'We're Doing Alright' leads off the album with another classic anthem, the style of which you just don't find anymore. Shame that too! What follows are some of the slickest, smoothest up tempo ballads in AOR, whick lead into a storm home with three consecutive anthems, climaxing with 'No Secrets', the biggest of them all, to complete the album.
Van! Dump that country act and call Dann! If you like Giant's albums, own Fee Waybill's records, love House Of Lords, Journey, Rick Springfield - and don't own these two discs, then I must insist you invest in them immediately. There is no equal."

I can't find the song on YouTube, though. Sad

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »

Thanks!  I'll have to put that album on my Amazon wishlist.  Smiley

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »

The second song has been identified as Kathy Troccoli's "Dream On" from the "Images" album.

The first song, however, is NOT Van Stephenson.  I finally got a chance to find out for sure.  It's a Christian song that I used to hear in the mid-80s.

Nyssa The Hobbit
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »

Got it!  The first song is "Suspicious Heart" off the Kaleidoscope album by Keith Thomas.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: