OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:39:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost My Job  (Read 2034 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: March 27, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »

I found out last week that I will not be returning the beginning of next school year (I'm teaching).  So, I'll be out of the job come mid-June.  Basically, the people above me told me that I do many things great, but that they don't think I'm meant to teach high school students...  I tend to agree, but now I don't know what to do and where to go.  I'm pretty much unhappy where I am now, and I think I'd be better in an environment where I don't feel isolated (most of the people where I live now don't, or don't seem to, speak English.  I haven't made a single friend the past 8 months or so here. 

In any case, I don';t know what to do next either.  I don't have a lot of work experience.  I would like  to move back to PA.  I've been thinking of looking for jobs in the Pittsburgh area, perhaps working for a college or university.  I could move back home, to central PA, but it's a bad home environment and I don't think either of my parents fully realizes my conversion to Orthodoxy...

So, if you could pray and perhaps give me any advice, that would be great.  My sister is going to school in Pittsburgh, and I myself love the city, not the least because of all the Eastern churches there.  Grin

But seriously, pray for me.   There are other things that are stressing me out as well.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 08:31:27 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:27 PM »

Lord have mercy and give StGeorge with clarity of thought to plan his next move in life.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Trudy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »

I found out last week that I will not be returning the beginning of next school year (I'm teaching).  So, I'll be out of the job come mid-June. 

Hi!

If you are looking for teaching jobs with younger ages than high school may I recommend elementary or pre-school ages?  There are quite a few of those type jobs listed in our local newspaper today.  I live in southeastern PA; two hours from NYC and one hour from Philadelphia.  Wrong side of the State from Pittsburgh but still PA.   Smiley

Feel free to email me and I'll give you the newspaper link so you can check it out.  I don't know if it is okay to do that on the public board.

God will provide.

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »

I will pray for you, brother.  I apologize that I don't have any advice for you, other than to pray and maybe discuss it with your priest.  Lord have mercy on your servant.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »

My prayers brother ...God Bless You  and guide your steps
in finding a better job, one that you like and pays well......stasko/stanislav

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »

Lord, Thy will be done.

Pray this, and all will be well.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »

I found out last week that I will not be returning the beginning of next school year (I'm teaching).  So, I'll be out of the job come mid-June.  Basically, the people above me told me that I do many things great, but that they don't think I'm meant to teach high school students...  I tend to agree, but now I don't know what to do and where to go.  I'm pretty much unhappy where I am now, and I think I'd be better in an environment where I don't feel isolated (most of the people where I live now don't, or don't seem to, speak English.  I haven't made a single friend the past 8 months or so here. 

In any case, I don';t know what to do next either.  I don't have a lot of work experience.  I would like  to move back to PA.  I've been thinking of looking for jobs in the Pittsburgh area, perhaps working for a college or university.  I could move back home, to central PA, but it's a bad home environment and I don't think either of my parents fully realizes my conversion to Orthodoxy...

So, if you could pray and perhaps give me any advice, that would be great.  My sister is going to school in Pittsburgh, and I myself love the city, not the least because of all the Eastern churches there.  Grin

But seriously, pray for me.   There are other things that are stressing me out as well.  Thanks. 
Lord have mercy.

What is it again that you teach?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:28:31 AM »

My first question would be whether or not you like teaching and want to continue to teach? Teaching, especially in the USA public high schools is a lot harder and a lot more challenging than some people are ready to believe. Are you happy in a public school environment, where the pay is better, or do you prefer a private or parochial school where the pay is a bit less, but the psychic income may be higher.
Some people are happy at teaching whereas others are not. And some people just do not like teaching in the public high schools of the USA at least in certain areas.
And in the end, depending on what you decide, you might have to either relocate or obtain more education in the area of your interest.
Best wishes and good luck.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 09:10:07 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

I know how you feel. It's a very difficult time. May the Lord give you strength and clarity of thoughts!

Love never fails.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »

I'm sure things will work out for you. Lord have mercy!

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 09:40:24 AM »

Lord have mercy on Your servant!

'StGeorge', I have no advice for you, as others have had, other than asking yourself: did you go into teaching because you felt this is what God wanted you to do, or did you go into teaching because it just seemed a good fit for you at the time.

If teaching is what you feel you should be doing, then continue to pursue it. OTOH, perhaps this is the way the Lord is helping you to move to what He wants you to do.

Regardless of your decision, be absolutely confident that God does have a plan for you, and that this period too somehow fits into it.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 09:53:14 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant, particularly if he chooses to go to Pittsburgh! 

I love that place, but, sadly, I'll never live there again (my wife HATES the cold).

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »

Pittsburgh has alot of highschools(way too many), both public and private. It might be easier to get a job at a private one. In most public jobs in Pittsburgh you have to know someone that knows someone in order to get the job.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:08:48 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

I am a hs teacher as well. I will keep you in my prayers. LORD have mercy!!!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »

I don't want a teaching job again... unless it be college and only then down the road when I'm older.  I'm just looking for a job, such as working in the office of a university or something like that.  Thanks for your prayers. 
Trudy

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

I don't want a teaching job again... unless it be college and only then down the road when I'm older.  I'm just looking for a job, such as working in the office of a university or something like that.  Thanks for your prayers. 

A suggestion:  go to the university and college websites and look under their "job openings" section.  They usually have all kinds of stuff listed there that would be suitable.  The advantage to working for a college is after a couple of years you may take advantage of free tuition.

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?  Micah 6:8
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

If you do not mind me suggesting something. As a back-up variant, what if you will take a look at openings for government jobs and NGOs? If you do consider teaching at a college later, normally such records in the resume seem to be a good step in order to get to a Ph. D. program.

The advantage to working for a college is after a couple of years you may take advantage of free tuition.

Yes, exactly. That really helps.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »

You may want to look at a job in a community college, especially if you have a master's degree (not necessarily in education, any will do). In MO, you can keep your retirement if you work for a community college rather than a university, even if you don't teach (it depends on your actual position, though). Perhaps there is a similar program in your state?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: