OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:26:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dhimmitude  (Read 1008 times) Average Rating: 0
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« on: June 27, 2003, 07:38:55 PM »

Do you think missionaries to aid the indigenous Christians of Afghanistan and Iraq would be helpful?  What is your opinion of the work of Bat Ye'or?  See link:

http://www.dhimmitude.org/index.php

Dan Lauffer
Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 08:39:39 AM »

Dan,

Thank you for posting this link, I intend to read more of the information there in depth, it's a completely new topic for me. Certainly Bat Ye'or gives a different perspective to a lot of the politically correct 'Islam is a religion of peace which cherishes the People of the Book' stuff which one sees online. The question I am left asking myself is why we western Christians have been so indifferent to the sufferings of those contending for the faith in the east.

Brigid

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 09:26:23 PM »

Before the seventh century Christianity predominated from India through the middle East to Western North Africa. Through conquest and conversion most of these areas, excluding, Armenia became dominated by Muslim overlords. Constantinople itself held out for some time but it too became overrun.

The Sharia (Muslim law based upon the Qur'an) considers an area either under Islam or under war. Dhimmitude, a word coined by Bat Ye'or, is used to describe the situation of the so-called "protected people" who may retain their religion but must pay exhorbitant taxes. Dhimmis (Christians and Jews i.e., people of the book) are not immediately enslaved. But if they do not convert they are triple tax viz a viz their Muslim neighbors. Should they try to escape they are brought back and put into slavery. This can be seen most clearly in Sudan today.

Part of the reason some conversions were so easy is because of the Byzantine tendency to impose its will upon the various groups of the empire. They cared little for the welfare of these people. Many easily converted because they saw a better way. Those who did not or have not converted face terrible hardships.

So, is there anything in addition to prayers and money we can do to help? Would missionaries be helpful?

BTW Why don't we have missionaries in the BC Church?

Dan Lauffer
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 12:12:41 AM »

BTW Why don't we have missionaries in the BC Church?

Dan Lauffer

Because you are not allowed to--Byzantine Catholics can only operate within their patriarchal territory, whereas non-evangelized areas are Roman territory by default.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: