PMR - OCF and Young Adult Ministry

(1/5) > >>

Fr. George:
See: "An experiment - Parish Ministry Resource threads" for more info - http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15087.0.html

For all relevant ideas and information on how to minister to College/Grad Students, and generally those between the ages of 18-35 (who are dealing with beginning adult life, finding work, starting families, etc.).

admiralnick:
I guess my biggest thing since I fall into this category is how do you balance the church which has a vast majority of elderly people (65+) and only a couple of people under 35? That is exactly the issue at my parish, there is a handfull of us Young Adults and a gross number of elderly people. How do the younger people deal with a parish that may have alot of empty seats in the next 15-20 years?

-Nick

Fr. George:
Quote from: admiralnick on March 21, 2008, 09:59:41 AM

I guess my biggest thing since I fall into this category is how do you balance the church which has a vast majority of elderly people (65+) and only a couple of people under 35? That is exactly the issue at my parish, there is a handfull of us Young Adults and a gross number of elderly people. How do the younger people deal with a parish that may have alot of empty seats in the next 15-20 years?

-Nick 

It's a great question.  I think a crucial first step in the process is to somehow foster a deeper connection to the faith in the 18-35's that we have now - get them to the point where they're not only fully Orthodox, but excited to be so, and totally committed to the reality of the parish.  If those who are attending the Church are invested and excited, it will lead to others being brought in because the Church will be proactive in the community - doing charity, helping the poor, evangelizing, etc.

I think that this is a major benefit to active and successful OCF'a and Young Adult Ministries in the Church - not only does it keep people close to the Faith that is their Life and salvation, but in the end it can bring even more people to the Church.

Fr. George:
Idea for a Bible study session

My OCF/YAL is studying the Psalms this year.  For this week's and next week's sessions, I decided that we'd study Psalm 21/22 and the Passion.  It's a great study, with many elements of the Passion clearly predicted by the Psalm, and even other elements (appearances, feelings, whatnot).  The following week I'm going to introduce an article by Fr. Eugen Pentiuc (our OT professor at Holy Cross) that speaks of the prefiguring of Judas as betrayer in the Psalms (and the distinct parallel with Ahitophel's betrayal of David).  Great stuff - the people were very engaged in the discussion, and had quite a few "aha!" moments.

John of the North:
Quote from: admiralnick on March 21, 2008, 09:59:41 AM

-Nick

I am in the same position, me and one or two young adults, then an one or two young families, then a gap and all the elders......hence why I am in the Sunday School teacher....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page